Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am i screwed?

• 11-03-2012 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

mock results back and ive done really bad :o

i failed

english ordinary
    construction higher
    geography higher
    DCG higher
    Irish ordinary

i only got 45% in lcvp

ive yet to get maths ordinary back and engineering, id imagine i passed them,

am i screwed completely?

i didnt do a stroke all year and now im seriously worried. just de-activated the facebook account there.

i would like to get 300 points but i assume thats going to be hard,

i put alot of work into my geography,dcg,construction and engineering and lcvp projects.

i know i can pull myself up to pass them all with some study.

what do you guys think?

i dont even know what i want to do after school yet, i applied for the CAO and threw down a few courses but not 2 sure if they are what i want to do. cheers lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 thedodger

whats your points total?

300 is achievable if you knuckle down.

if you just 'threw down' a few courses it doesnt sound like you're that

interested in them. Plenty of time to get a change of mind form in

when you decide what you really want to do.

Once you have a target course and #points this'll make it

easier to focus

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hmf300

thedodger wrote: »
    whats your points total?

ive only passed one subject so far which is lcvp at 45%

its looking really bad right now.

hmf300 what do you want to do later this year?

youre not 'screwed'

thats what the mocks are for.

they give you enough time to get yourself up to the level you need.

I would't worry about the results.

Main thing is you need to decide what you want to do first.

What kind of courses did you throw down?

Rough idea??

I put down Computer web design courses mainly. im also thinking of getting an apprentiship if possible.

good you're keeping the old options open.
    If you dont know what to do it might be better to go the apprenticeship route.
    At least youll be earning(a bit)and if its not for you can always go to college after a few years when you decide what to do. dont worry about it, many very successful people didnt go to college or even finish school.
    But on the other hand, Id suggest knuckle down for the leaving.
    Even if you end up leaving education if you do apply for college in a few years it could help you to have done well. Look, youve shown that youre mature enough to be concerned about your future by posting on here. Thats a great start. I just dont think you know what you want to do long term yet.

• Advertisement

PS good choice, IT related courses are whats going to get you the jobs at the moment here. But in 4 years...who knows?! Best thing is to do what you're into. If youre good enough the jobs will follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

No in theory you're not screwed. If you tried your best but still failed then that's another thing. If you get your act together then you can still do quite well, whether you will or not is another question. Hopefully this has shocked you into action. I would recommend grinds if you can afford them and evening study if the school provides it.

i can afford it all yes, but i find it very hard 2 concentrate in class and when i sit down to do homework

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

your properly fooked there m8, pull yourself togther and work as hard as possible!

You can easily hit 300 if u dont act the messer in class... Seriously tho, 1 slip up and u can forget all about workin hard and go back to your old ways! Get yourself into the course you want cause if u dont youl be reggretting it for life. (or until your 24 and u can steal the money for college off the government)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

hmf300 wrote: »
    ive only passed one subject so far which is lcvp at 45%

its looking really bad right now.

Sorry to be sounding like a douche, but you must get at least 50% in LCVP to pass it.

Regarding your situation, yes, start studying asap. Deactivating facebook is a start but only if you spend your time wisely. Look where you missed out on marks on your mock papers and focus on those areas.

Also, you're doing higher DCG which I heard was fiendishly difficult yet Ordinary Engineering? It all depends on your abilities of course, but I always noticed that Engineering at Higher was far easier than DCG.

Anyway, no you're not screwed as long as you try your earnest from now on. As people above said, that's what mocks are for.

• Advertisement

im doing higher engineering. im getting grinds in dcg and maths. i probably will get some help on english and construction also. to be fair ive never studied in my life and im going to regret it if i dont get what i want from the leaving cert

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Akarinn wrote: »
    your properly fooked there m8, pull yourself togther and work as hard as possible!

You can easily hit 300 if u dont act the messer in class... Seriously tho, 1 slip up and u can forget all about workin hard and go back to your old ways! Get yourself into the course you want cause if u dont youl be reggretting it for life. (or until your 24 and u can steal the money for college off the government)

Text-speak isn't allowed on boards - read the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

im doing higher engineering. im getting grinds in dcg and maths. i probably will get some help on english and construction also. to be fair ive never studied in my life and im going to regret it if i dont get what i want from the leaving cert

I'm glad you're doing something to change your fortunes around :)

English - it's important to remember that Paper 1 is half the marks. Most students largely ignore it and concentrate all of their time on poetry and drama. In my opinion Paper 1 is where the easier marks for English are. Learn how to answer Comprehension question properly and learn a few styles of writing to use it in Question B and your essay.

Construction - same story here, a lot of students concentrate on the practical project and ignore the written part which is a massive chunk of marks. Learn your drawings for Q1 and pick a few topics you're most comfortable on to answer the remaining 4 Qs. (Foundations, Roof, Planning etc.) On the project side of things make sure you have a good portfolio. It's amazing how many students don't bother with it but it's nothing complicated and will get you around 12%.

In Maths it's important to get plenty of practice with exam papers and in the exam it's vital you squeeze out the Attempt marks from every question you do. Just by doing something obvious like substituting in for x and y will get you the attempt mark for a part of a question you might not have a clue about.

So yeah work away and you should be alright, good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

i can afford it all yes, but i find it very hard 2 concentrate in class and when i sit down to do homework
    You're talking to your double here. Acquiring the discipline to concentrate takes time which in fairness you don't have so it may just have to be the old knuckle down and force yourself. In fairness being anxious about it is detrimental to your health and concentration so try to pacify yourself with the truth that this isn't your one and only shot. There's repeating the leaving (not ideal but it's not the end of the world and if you're unsure about what you want to do it's not a bad shout) there's mature student at 23 which doesn't require CAO points etc.

My primary advice would be to get cracking this year but if it doesn't work out it's not the end of the world! How you get on this year will not dictate your future.

subz3r0 wrote: »
    English - it's important to remember that Paper 1 is half the marks. Most students largely ignore it and concentrate all of their time on poetry and drama. In my opinion Paper 1 is where the easier marks for English are. Learn how to answer Comprehension question properly and learn a few styles of writing to use it in Question B and your essay.

Construction - same story here, a lot of students concentrate on the practical project and ignore the written part which is a massive chunk of marks. Learn your drawings for Q1 and pick a few topics you're most comfortable on to answer the remaining 4 Qs. (Foundations, Roof, Planning etc.) On the project side of things make sure you have a good portfolio. It's amazing how many students don't bother with it but it's nothing complicated and will get you around 12%.

see heres the problem. i got 58% in paper 1 and 14 percent in the other due to our teacher not showing up at-all in fifth year, we then got a new teacher in sixth. poetry and drama is all of my classmates weak point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

A girl I know had really bad depression last year, never came in, did a load of OL subjects, didn't study and still managed to get 400 because she did work towards the end. Never give up!:)

Chuchoter wrote: »
    A girl I know had really bad depression last year, never came in, did a load of OL subjects, didn't study and still managed to get 400 because she did work towards the end. Never give up!:)

good to hear.

ok so studying starts tomorrow!!! should i do 1 subject per night or what do you propose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

good to hear.

ok so studying starts tomorrow!!! should i do 1 subject per night or what do you propose?

Dont let yourself get into that mindframe, that you'll do it tomorrow. Why not now? When tomorrow comes id put my money on you finding something else to do and saying you'll do it the next day..If you wont, fair play but thats what I do and im sure others will agree.
    As for your actual studying, I know it sounds roughe dude but your gonna have to be doing over 3+ hours a night..think about it, 3 months of agonizing study and your done school forever, its completely worth it. 3 months and your finished something you've essentially been doing for over 10 years so put the effort in cause im assuming you havent done a tap all year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

TheStook wrote: »
    When tomorrow comes id put my money on you finding something else to do and saying you'll do it the next day..

That has me written all over it :rolleyes: planning to knuckle down now and get 3 hours of study done for each of my 7 subjects every week. It'll be painful but it should be worth it for my dream course!

Advertisement