Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another broadband in gorey thread

Options
  • 11-03-2012 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Howdy folks

Just moved to gorey and I've been scouring the web for broadband choices in gorey. There are some dated threads here so I was looking for a recent review. Carnsore was getting good reviews but from their website don't seem to supply gorey ... also at 15 mbps down and 2 mbps up load seems to be similar to regional bb who are wimax which worries me slightly. Upc are a no go so I suppose its down to dsl ?? Any recommendations ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

boo-earn's

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

DSL is probably your best bet if you're in the town,ask some of your neighbours what their service is like (be prepared for the uneducated answers of "sure it's grand) Eircom NGB has pitiful download limits unless you pay through the nose for it.Vodafone At Home has higher limits and the same speed as Eircom.

Cheers Zerks, just move in so haven't met any of the neighbours yet and probably expected as you mention eircom answers .... who knows .. I'll ask and see and hopefully find someone on the pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

vodafone at home , 40 quid for a 7mb line, 3 up, 40gb limit and phone live rental. . never any downtown.

cant go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stolen

Beware of REGIONAL BROADBAND.

We moved house nearly 2 years ago. They came and took out their equipment before we left but they continued to take the money from our bank account up until last month.

They took about € 500.

They say it is our fault for not cancelling the payment. They refuse to talk to us, or give us our money back because

"we don't do refunds" they say.

Would you subscribe to their service?

Stolen

• Advertisement

stolen wrote: »
    Beware of REGIONAL BROADBAND.

We moved house nearly 2 years ago. They came and took out their equipment before we left but they continued to take the money from our bank account up until last month.

They took about € 500.

They say it is our fault for not cancelling the payment. They refuse to talk to us, or give us our money back because

"we don't do refunds" they say.

Would you subscribe to their service?

Stolen

Sounds like a case for the small claims court,they took the equipment therefore couldn't provide a service which they continued to charge you for.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

sorry for hopping on your thread but what about any of these?

We are moving down that direction but will be renting in Ballymoney for a few months before we buy house in the Craanford area. have been researching these tonight but haven't actually talked to anyone, there seems to be a service in the area we need?

any advice or if anyone has had dealings with these please let me know

http://www.ripplecom.net
    http://www.wicklowbroadband.com/domestic-broadband.html
    http://www.onwave.ie/offers

many thanks

Wicklow Broadband seem to be the best out of the 3.

Ripplecom have started to impose charges for exceeding bandwidth limits.Thread in the broadband forum about it with some not so happy campers.

Onwave is satellite broadband with low caps & high pings & should be used as a last resort.

zerks wrote: »
    low caps & high pings

what's that? sorry for my ignorance but when i google this phrase it comes up with gaming on computers - if that is the case it wouldn't bother me as nearest i've come to on computer games is solitaire! sorry and thanks for you comment re wicklow broadband, will give them a call

tregan wrote: »
    what's that? sorry for my ignorance but when i google this phrase it comes up with gaming on computers - if that is the case it wouldn't bother me as nearest i've come to on computer games is solitaire! sorry and thanks for you comment re wicklow broadband, will give them a call

Onwave is satellite broadband which means the info has to be sent roughly 22,000 miles into space & back again.This causes lag (high ping),think of shouting on top of a mountain & waiting for the echo,the lower the ping the better.
    The download caps are very miserly on satellite broadband and these days with high data usage it's not great to have such a low cap on your usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

tregan wrote: »

Hi tregan, living in Shrule, Craanford. Had vodafone dongle - did not work, had Regional Broadband - did not work. We now have Onwave - works perfect for us. We dont watch much utube (a little bit maybe), or RTE player or much online gaming (a little bit).
    We use it mainly for browsing, email, facebook etc. it can be used well with skype also, my wife did an online course with FAS no problems.
    We are happy with the Onwave service.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    We use it mainly for browsing, email, facebook etc. it can be used well with skype also, my wife did an online course with FAS no problems.
    We are happy with the Onwave service.

thanks for that, i would be the same, skype will be necessary as sister and family gone to arizona with intel for a year or more.... must call these providers as want to know if they are ok to move from one house to another as rent will only be for a couple of months while we try to find a house to buy out craanford direction

Regarding Onwave,the 8gb download limit is woeful these days,I checked Wicklow broadband's packages & they offer unlimited (I'm sure they wouldn't want you torrenting 24/7 though).Easier to move their equipment than satellite broadband too as it's a simple receiver pointed at a mast.

Nothing against onwave but if I had to make the choice I wouldn't go for it myself.

hi again,

more questions and maybe going a bit off thread?

anyway .... we want to port our phone number we have here in dublin and can do this via blueface or vomino - have yet to decide which to go for but in doing that our current broadband provider (UTV) will be no good as that is based on the phone line as is.

i'm not very techy, that's HIS job but we are looking at other options for broadband that we can use in the meantime, thinking of 3 broadband or vodafone dongle but i've read a post which said vodafone had no reception in craanford but we are going to rent in ballymoney in the first instance and wonder do any of the mobile broadband services work. when we get sorted we will probably go with wicklow broadband as this seems to get the best reviews in wexford areas we are looking at

i am making sense? sorry for the rambling but any help appreciated!

Just to note for anyone that do a search and be wondering who I went with I chose Digiweb and the 8GB NG package .. much along the same lines as the Vodaphone package that was mentioned but is an Irish company and get the feeling they wouldnt be as bad with the 40gb limit (or so was said to me).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 alan2009

hi tregan i moved to craanford last year tried most bb providers but found that we are coverd on the NBS scheme with 3 and it works perfectly for me for pretty much everything bought 3mbps down and 1 mb upload hope this helps

alan2009 wrote: »
    hi tregan i moved to craanford last year tried most bb providers but found that we are coverd on the NBS scheme with 3 and it works perfectly for me for pretty much everything bought 3mbps down and 1 mb upload hope this helps

hi alan,

think we have it all sorted as can time the porting of our number and have been in touch with wicklow bb who cover the ballymoney area (where we are renting) and other areas we are considering to buy and that can be done when we get there in july .... busy packing every day here now!

Advertisement