Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Back To Finish Things Off

• 11-03-2012 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

i left school straight after the junior cert probably like most people thinking i would get a trade or something. obviously that didnt happen. now like everyone else i have the choice to stay in a dead end job n more then likely snap one day and go all rambo on someone or join the dole que. i get bored kinda easy so the dole is out of the question. i was never satisfied with the subjects i did for junior cert so if i was to go back to do the leaving cert could i choose new subjects or would i have to start from scratch i.e. would i have to start back from first year basiclly? iv no idea how the back to school system works and its a bit tough to get the info from google. any reply much appreciated cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Ah fair play to you Father.

Starting in first year again isn't necessary by any means. I'd imagine most would start with fifth year, the leaving cert courses pretty much stand alone, although the skills you learn in junior cert do help for things like maths and languages. You can take up new subjects, though maths, Irish, English are compulsory of course, and depending on what you want to do after, a European language might be necessary. Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can choose any subjects you want for LC.
    I suggest you contact your local VEC Adult Education Officer who will handle Back to Education queries. There are a number of adult only LC courses which might suit.

If you are over 23, you can access third level without a Leaving Cert., which might also be an option for you, though it's always good to do a short course in between to get you into the swing of taking notes, writing essays etc..
    Good luck.

Advertisement