Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stale Smoke

Options
  • 11-03-2012 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey,

Just had a query about something. I'm a smoker, but I'd never smoke in the house when my little one is there or in the car. I always go outside as does anyone who is around the baby.

I do smoke in the sitting room (only this area) at night when the baby is in bed. This wouldn't be harmful at all to the baby would it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

How old is your baby? I was told that smoking is linked with SIDS.
    http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/
    there is a bit about SIDS. I wouldn't smoke anywhere in the house and ask whoever smoke to wash their hands and wait 10 min before they touch my baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hey,

Just had a query about something. I'm a smoker, but I'd never smoke in the house when my little one is there or in the car. I always go outside as does anyone who is around the baby.

I do smoke in the sitting room (only this area) at night when the baby is in bed. This wouldn't be harmful at all to the baby would it?

Regardless of if you have smoked outside or in another room. Your clothes will be covered in smoke particles, your breath with stink of smoke, your hair will stink of smoke.

None of the above can be pleasant for baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Hey,

This is called "Third Hand Smoke" and there is a fair bit of research that's been around a while on the subject. And yes, it is harmful. If you google the topic you'll find loads of material to read. In the meantime, here are a couple of links to get you started: Science Daily and pregnancy.org.

As an ex-smoker myself I understand how difficult it is to break this addiction. Perhaps your child may be the extra incentive that could help you succeed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd say smoking in the house is harmful to a baby even if he/she is in a different room. Also handling a baby after smoking is harmful. Your clothes still contain the toxins from the smoke.

If you're going to smoke or allow visitors to smoke when they come over (even if it's outside) don't handle or let let visitors handle or come into contact with your baby afterwards. It sounds extreme but your baby's respiratory system is still developing and even third hand cigarette smoke is harmful.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm an ex smoker, my partner smokes. He is determined to quit before baby arrives though, as we feel that its far too harmful for him to even smoke outside and have smoke clinging to him or his clothes while holding baby.

I would cut out smoking altogether in the house, even when baby is in bed. Limiting it to one room (especially one that baby is in at any time of the day) is pointless.

Would you consider quitting? I know its not easy, I tried everything myself and the Paul Mckenna hypnosis CD was the thing that finally worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

As a non smoker, I know my sense of smell is better than that of a smoker's. I can be in bed, three closed doors away from my boyfriend, and will know immediately if he sparked a cigarette in the sitting room as he sometimes does when I'm in bed.

I can smell it off his breath (even after brushing his teeth/ chewing gum), I can smell it off his hair and I can smell it off his clothes.

I wouldn't even have a great sense of smell. I think it can ONLY do harm to your baby.

Look at the stains on your walls and ceiling that the smoke has caused. Behind picture frames is always a HUGE telltale sign that smoke has been in the room.

I just think you should do your best to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My mother smoked all through her pregnancy x 2 and in close range up until I was 9, I was the youngest. I'm in good health as is my brother.

BUT

Stale smoke is just as harmful as fresh smoke, do try and give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I smoked in the sitting room when the kids were in bed too - I only quit when they were nearly 6. They are in fine health. It's not good to have smoke in the house at all when there's kids there but your addiction tells you otherwise and that addiction is a heartless relentless bitch. It's not as bad as smoking in the same room obviously.

As regards third hand smoke - there's as many studies debunking it as supporting it. Regardless, even if it's true, you'll have it on your clothes/hands/breath anyway even smoking outside. So third hand smoke will still be there.

That said - giving up is even better if you're ready to quit. Pop around to my other forum where you'll find plenty of people with many experiences and full of support if you're ready to take that step. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Until you give up, smoke outdoors and not in an enclosed area like a shed. Try to always have a coat or jacket on that you can take off once get back into house. Tie your hair back if long.

Wash your hands when get back into house and wait a while til handle baby.

I find if you smoke indoors, even if just in the evening, the smell gets into EVERYTHING as it has no escape from the room, so it just settles into the soft furnishings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I have no kids and I don't smoke myself, but I know when a family member recently had a baby, just before they came home from hospital they were given some leaflets which apparently advised that anyone who smokes should wash their hands and change their clothes after having a cigarette before going near the baby.

To be honest you are better to give up smoking, although I am sure it is hard.

It's better for your health and for baby's health if you quit smoking.

It doesn't matter where in the house you smoke - as the smoke will always get into other rooms, if it has nowhere to escape (ventilation, open windows/doors etc).

I live with two smokers and even though they smoke in the utility room and have the back door open, some smoke still gets into other rooms in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I haven't read all of the above but I can imagine it's all pretty negitive. I'm sorry but mine is the same. When I was pregnant my mum wouldn't smoke around me but I could smell it after. Once as soon as we got in the car together it was almost like I was smoking myself it was so bad. I'll admit the pregnancy probably had my senses hyped but I had to open my window and breath slowly it was so bad.

I read on a sids website that long after you've had a smoke the toxins will be excreted though your skin - one of there reasons against cosleeping if you're a smoker.

Sorry to be joining the group that are down on you for smoking. :( I hope you find a way to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

According to the doctor at the last asthma clinic I took my son to for every 10 cigaretts smoked outside it is like smoking 2 in front of the child.

Advertisement