Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Duleek, Meath

• 11-03-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hi, has anyone here got experience with the broadband providers in Duleek? I think there is just Eircom and Vodaphone and would like to get an idea of their speeds etc. I know Vodaphone are a little cheaper but if the speeds are rubbish than that's no good. Mobile broadband is rubbish around here!!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

You can get anything over the phone lines around here Vodafone Eircom digiweb smart etc theres alot of providers that will proivde service over the phone line.

There is no UPC here and prob never will be aswell.
    Net1 also provide service to here they are a fixed wireless provider.

The problem with mobile BB around here is that we only have 1 mast here for 3G services i'm with Three for mobile BB it's grand usually over 1Mb in speed.

We also have Eircom on 8Mb NGB(next generation broadband) but we can only get a max of around 7Mb living close to the Eircom exchange less than 1.5KM so only for that we would probably be getting worse speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭beardo81

jay93 wrote: »
    You can get anything over the phone lines around here Vodafone Eircom digiweb smart etc theres alot of providers that will proivde service over the phone line.

There is no UPC here and prob never will be aswell.
    Net1 also provide service to here they are a fixed wireless provider.

The problem with mobile BB around here is that we only have 1 mast here for 3G services i'm with Three for mobile BB it's grand usually over 1Mb in speed.

We also have Eircom on 8Mb NGB(next generation broadband) but we can only get a max of around 7Mb living close to the Eircom exchange less than 1.5KM so only for that we would probably be getting worse speeds.

Thanks for the reply Jay, have you any experience of what speeds fixed line are getting? Or Net1? I have my mobile phone with 3 and tether off it but speeds most days aren't great

No problem :)

I havn't had any experiance with net1 at all one or two houses on main street have it not sure if net1 covers the whole village if you can go for fixed line it would probably be best with eircom we get 7Mb in speed we pay for 8Mb tough think it is a limitation on our phoneline that we can't get the full 8Mb,
    It doesn't suffer from the same slow down problems that the Three network gets in the evening and night time.

If you do decide to go with eircom be sure not to sign upto NGB basic this only allows you to download 10GB a month which isn't much at all if your using youtube etc. also you get charge €2 per GB that you use over the 10GB limit. they have one called NGB regular which gives a download allowance of 250GB a month and don't charge extra if you go over this ammount.

Lot of people have Vodafone around here aswell most seem to be switching to them for the cheaper prices than eircom have not heard anything bad about Vodafone in the area but i have seen horror stories of Vodafone customers not getting the broadband speeds they pay for.

No problem :)

I havn't had any experiance with net1 at all one or two houses on main street have it not sure if net1 covers the whole village if you can go for fixed line it would probably be best with eircom we get 7Mb in speed we pay for 8Mb tough think it is a limitation on our phoneline that we can't get the full 8Mb,
    It doesn't suffer from the same slow down problems that the Three network gets in the evening and night time.

If you do decide to go with eircom be sure not to sign upto NGB basic this only allows you to download 10GB a month which isn't much at all if your using youtube etc. also you get charge €2 per GB that you use over the 10GB limit. they have one called NGB regular which gives a download allowance of 250GB a month and don't charge extra if you go over this ammount.

Lot of people have Vodafone around here aswell most seem to be switching to them for the cheaper prices than eircom have not heard anything bad about Vodafone in the area but i have seen horror stories of Vodafone customers not getting the broadband speeds they pay for.

Is it NGB you have? 7mb /8 is pretty good I have to say! Might go with eircom, think Vodafone don't offer a NGB alternative and I hate slow internet. Eircom have a block on torrents and some sites though yes? File sharing not allowed or something?

Yep we are on NGB it was only enabled in the area around december last year before that we were only on Eircoms 1Mb speed which wasnt great at all.

Vodafone offer "enchanced" broadband as they call it its basically NGB just with a differant name im not 100% tough if Vodafone have it here yet tough.

Eircom block the pirate bay website they are the only ones in Ireland to do that torrents are ok to use they still work at least for me i know if you get caught out downloading music through torrents they will send warning letters after 3 letters they suspend your service this is all from record companys Eircom was forced in all of this.

i know what you mean by slow internet i hate having slow internet service drives me crazy :)

• Advertisement

Yep we are on NGB it was only enabled in the area around december last year before that we were only on Eircoms 1Mb speed which wasnt great at all.

Vodafone offer "enchanced" broadband as they call it its basically NGB just with a differant name im not 100% tough if Vodafone have it here yet tough.

Eircom block the pirate bay website they are the only ones in Ireland to do that torrents are ok to use they still work at least for me i know if you get caught out downloading music through torrents they will send warning letters after 3 letters they suspend your service this is all from record companys Eircom was forced in all of this.

i know what you mean by slow internet i hate having slow internet service drives me crazy :)

Thanks for the help Jay, looks like I'll be giving Eircom a call soon so!! :D

No prob :D

Did you get in contact with Eircom or any other provider yet ?:)

Would you believe it Eircom rep came to the door last week with a great offer! NGB regular with unlimited allowance 8mb for €37 for first 6 months then €44.60 for next 6. Normally over €52 per month. Great offer, couldn't say no, should be hooked up tomorrow or Wednesday I hope!! :-)

Would you believe it Eircom rep came to the door last week with a great offer! NGB regular with unlimited allowance 8mb for €37 for first 6 months then €44.60 for next 6. Normally over €52 per month. Great offer, couldn't say no, should be hooked up tomorrow or Wednesday I hope!! :-)

Phone line activated, was told they would not have broadband up and running until 27th! :mad: Must have patience....

• Advertisement

Seen alot of Eircom reps in the area alright this past week or so :)
    Must be desperate for new customers!

Did they send you out the modem yet if they did plug it in and see if the servicie is active ours was active in around 4days they told us it might take longer tough!

Your on the same package as us same price etc.

Used another Eircom connection the other day in the village and it was getting sligthly over 7Mb/s download speed the same as our own i've yet to see a connection to get the full 8Mb/s .

Seen alot of Eircom reps in the area alright this past week or so :)
    Must be desperate for new customers!

Did they send you out the modem yet if they did plug it in and see if the servicie is active ours was active in around 4days they told us it might take longer tough!

Your on the same package as us same price etc.

Used another Eircom connection the other day in the village and it was getting sligthly over 7Mb/s download speed the same as our own i've yet to see a connection to get the full 8Mb/s .

Received modem in post today and checked an hour ago, its working!! I had been on to their customer service rep Mark on Twitter too though so I think that may have helped. Great to have it now though. Getting download of 6.98 at the mo so happy enough with that too.
    Time to get downloading!! :D

That's great to hear that it's up and running my speeds are more or less the same as that around 6.90-7.00 mb/s it's quite a change from using mobile broadband doesn't slow down in the evenings like the 3G networks do :)

At least you can download alot now with a fixed line broadband.

The Eircom reps on here and twitter are helpful for speeding things up in getting connected.:cool:

Advertisement