Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science

Options
  • 11-03-2012 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me... I am working full time and I want to study Computer Science in Galway part-time.

If anyone can give me any infomration that can help me on my way to doing this, I would really appreciate it.

I would also like to know if Computer Science would be too difficult a course to take. I only know a certain amount about computing and have very little experience in programming but I have always been very interested in that area and would love a career in computing.

Any information would help.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RDJMPC

Firstly, I'm not from a computer sciences background so I am only advising you on what my friends say who have done computers.

If computers is a career you want to do, then do the Masters even if it is a year of hard graft. if the college thinks you're not qualified to enter the course then leave it up to them to deny you. Any course is possible to do with some work.

Programming is always something that I hear is tough and people really underestimate the need for a good maths background to do it.

The college website is always useful for course info and possible contacts.

I did a FT masters and a PT job, it was tough but in the end it paid off. I am now working in a job that I couldn't have done without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

RDJMPC wrote: »
    Programming is always something that I hear is tough and people really underestimate the need for a good maths background to do it.

A good maths background is not required to be a good programmer a logical, systematic and creative approach to a problem is more important.
    I was wondering if anyone can help me... I am working full time and I want to study Computer Science in Galway part-time.

Have you gotten any prospectives and had a look at them or through the colleges web sites? I would start here and see what is offered.

ARGINITE wrote: »
    A good maths background is not required to be a good programmer a logical, systematic and creative approach to a problem is more important.

Doesn't that come with having a maths mind?

Have you gotten any prospectives and had a look at them or through the colleges web sites? I would start here and see what is offered.

That's def the best approach to take

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Doesn't that come with having a maths mind?

I am far from good with maths but have no problems writing assembler\C\C++.

I am far from good with maths but have no problems writing assembler\C\C++.

Ah on the flip side, I come from a maths background and would like to think I have those characteristics. :p Maybe i should go into computing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 david_dsouza

RDJMPC wrote: »
    Ah on the flip side, I come from a maths background and would like to think I have those characteristics. :p Maybe i should go into computing :D
    It depends on you if think you can then surely you do but any time you think negative then its end of your future.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

A good maths background is not required to be a good programmer a logical, systematic and creative approach to a problem is more important..

While you do need to be logical and creative to write quality software a certain degree of maths is required. A number of areas of Computer Science including writing efficient algorithms require a grasp of maths to the level of honours leaving cert.

Anyone can write code. It's not a difficult thing to do in itself. If you're willing to sit down and grind through it, it can be done. However, writing quality code takes some understanding of maths

An understanding of maths can be the difference between your piece of code taking days/weeks/months to complete while costing 1000's in processing power and 4 hours for a euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CodeKnightz

hi S.Murph,

I graduated last summer from BSc(Hon) Computer Science @ uni in the north, I was immediately employed by my previous internship company(Where i am currently)

I find alot of the advice already given mediocre,
    need honours math?? etc etc

truth is you only need to want to do it. if it makes you happy then grand.

In secondary school i only ever got passes in pass class for math, although i did have a good few **** teacher(s)(@scoil mhuire buncrana).

@ uni In Math i got 77%(final mark) in more advanced math

Teaching methods @ uni are quite different than secondary school, there alot better, If your not great @ math then just work at it.

It's all taught or pointed out for you to read.. its up to you to do the practicals and assignments.
    I would place emphasis on practicals go to them and ask for help if you need it to understand it, that's the place to get your head around things if your unsure of stuff after a lecture (and not leave it until doing assignments or exams).

Don't worry about logical thinking, that's taught repetitively in all decent computer science courses as well as code optimization.

There are lots of tutorials online too, esp for programming.
    here is a basic one:
    eg programming: http://www.dotnetperls.com

ps i worked 15 - 20 hrs a week as well as the full time course. it is doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

hi S.Murph,

I graduated last summer from BSc(Hon) Computer Science @ uni in the north, I was immediately employed by my previous internship company(Where i am currently)

I find alot of the advice already given mediocre,
    need honours math?? etc etc

truth is you only need to want to do it. if it makes you happy then grand.

In secondary school i only ever got passes in pass class for math, although i did have a good few **** teacher(s)(@scoil mhuire buncrana).

@ uni In Math i got 77%(final mark) in more advanced math

Teaching methods @ uni are quite different than secondary school, there alot better, If your not great @ math then just work at it.

It's all taught or pointed out for you to read.. its up to you to do the practicals and assignments.
    I would place emphasis on practicals go to them and ask for help if you need it to understand it, that's the place to get your head around things if your unsure of stuff after a lecture (and not leave it until doing assignments or exams).

Don't worry about logical thinking, that's taught repetitively in all decent computer science courses as well as code optimization.

There are lots of tutorials online too, esp for programming.
    here is a basic one:
    eg programming: http://www.dotnetperls.com

ps i worked 15 - 20 hrs a week as well as the full time course. it is doable.

Ok heres the situation im in any advice be appriciated im 23 looking to do a degree next year to have ot for when we come out if this recession but im on two minds on which course

Since 2010 iv done two fetac courses one did involve internet ie webpage development html, and found it ok bit boring but i was younger then im def more mature career focused now. I also did a social studies course quiet enjoyed it. Now do i do a degree in social studies or computer science? Both will be in itb not a uni

I like the taught of cs cause its booming but i really dono how ill fare out in it i have the work ethic but dono if that will be enough as i didnt do leaving cert maths so im weary of that. I have a slight more interest in social studies but im very apprehensive due to some feedback about jobs and career prospects. So yeah im wondering would i survive in the cs degree im just a casual computer user not a comp geek but ill sure work hard with my head in the books.

Is it the type of course u need to have a major interest in to cope or would you get by just puttin in the effort??? Thinking of doin a fas course in java to give me an insight before i take the plunge into a 3yr degree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Computer Science has one of the highest failure rates in the country. It doesn't really matter about what level of Maths you have, but would want around a B level in Pass Maths. Some people just get programming and are able to think in a logical mind set and other people just don't understand it. I know a lot of people who understand reading code but to be able to write code is a different kettle of fish. If you had an A1 in honors Maths this not make you a good programmer.

Best thing to do is to download an introduction to PHP book or Java book or follow tutorials online and see if you can follow it. Then you will know if you are able for the course and more importantly if you would like it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Ok heres the situation im in any advice be appriciated im 23 looking to do a degree next year to have ot for when we come out if this recession but im on two minds on which course

Since 2010 iv done two fetac courses one did involve internet ie webpage development html, and found it ok bit boring but i was younger then im def more mature career focused now. I also did a social studies course quiet enjoyed it. Now do i do a degree in social studies or computer science? Both will be in itb not a uni

I like the taught of cs cause its booming but i really dono how ill fare out in it i have the work ethic but dono if that will be enough as i didnt do leaving cert maths so im weary of that. I have a slight more interest in social studies but im very apprehensive due to some feedback about jobs and career prospects. So yeah im wondering would i survive in the cs degree im just a casual computer user not a comp geek but ill sure work hard with my head in the books.

Is it the type of course u need to have a major interest in to cope or would you get by just puttin in the effort??? Thinking of doin a fas course in java to give me an insight before i take the plunge into a 3yr degree

Stay away from the FAS courses in my opinion. Teach it very very very basic and not really going to get an insight into what it is really like. Download or a buy an introduction to Java book or view tutorials online and see if you can grasp your head around it.

Advertisement