Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord collecting rent

Options
  • 11-03-2012 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

The landlord calls around once a month to collect the rent. We know when its due, so he often calls around on the satuarday or sunday. I think he has a bit of a trip to come for it. Well, he's not exactly coming across the country for it, but maybe across the county.

The problem is he gives about a 30 minute notice to when he's here. I stayed in most of yesterday waiting on a call from him. Well i was studying anyway. But he still hasn't called. I have a life besides waiting for his call. I have no credit to ring the eejit either. Am i expected to wait until he decides to call around for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Does he give you receipts?

Somehow I doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

No you dont have to wait around for this fool, he knows what day the rent is due as do you and so you have your rent there. When you see him next try arrange times for next rent collection eg between 4 and 6pm on saturday the whatever of April. So next time you only have to be there for those two hours or better still try get bank details off him so you can transfer it into his bank account.

But I know there is no way I would be sitting in all day or all weekend waiting on the landlord to collect the money maybe if your not there and he has no way of getting in then next time he wont be so lax and turn up on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Ever heard of direct debit and there in is your receipt also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

edellc wrote: »
    No you dont have to wait around for this fool, he knows what day the rent is due as do you and so you have your rent there. When you see him next try arrange times for next rent collection eg between 4 and 6pm on saturday the whatever of April. So next time you only have to be there for those two hours or better still try get bank details off him so you can transfer it into his bank account.

But I know there is no way I would be sitting in all day or all weekend waiting on the landlord to collect the money maybe if your not there and he has no way of getting in then next time he wont be so lax and turn up on time.

It has happened three or four times where, i didn't wait, no one else around, my phone on silent so i missed his calls and he missed collecting it. But he doesn't learn.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If he is making a long trip- perhaps a gentle suggestion that it might better suit everyone were you to lodge it into his account on the 1st business day of each month (or the last day)- and that you'd lodge it into a branch of his bank, so it is available immediately without going through the clearing system- might be helpful to everyone.

Suggestions as to whether or not he is tax compliant are irrelevant- and in the case of a private rental, a lease with a payment schedule is the equivalent of receipts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If he won't use direct debit, well instead of him giving you thirty minute notice instead you give him a thirty minute window

He wants the money, he will be motivated to get there on time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sounds like a guy taking cash and not declaring it.

I'd ask him to allow it to be paid into his bank account, end of. You have a life as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

It

Advertisement