Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ant killer/bait???

Options
  • 11-03-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi there. Could you recommended me any good ant killer/bait? We have these little bastards all over the kitchen even we clean whole house properly and regularly. Just see them in living room aswell. I am really sick of them. I saw lots of baits, sprays and gels in shops but which one does really works? We already tried powder and ant killer(spray) from homebase but it doesnt help as we expected. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've heard that if you know where they're coming in douse the area in vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Get an aardvark.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

Deisemum .. i've heard it too but I cant see them outside of house :(
    Longshangs ..thanks.. have u got one for sale? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

You could always try rentokill or another exterminator it's proving to hard to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Ant killer liquid by Nippon, it's in a white tube with a red cap. Tried this stuff myself when I had ants and it works a treat OP!!

• Advertisement

Just bought AntStop bait station(2x) in B&Q ..but i cant see any fekin ants in my kitchen at the moment. Will leave it on places where I saw them other days and we will see what happen ..hope they will njoy it yumm yumm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

ANTS HATE CINNAMON!

If you put a line of cinamon down Ants wont cross it, if you see them spill a line of it on the floor and see what happens,

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Ant killer liquid by Nippon, it's in a white tube with a red cap. Tried this stuff myself when I had ants and it works a treat OP!!

Stuff works well, they carry it on their body back to the nest and Kills at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Those bait stations work a treat, just don't kill the ants when you see them at the station. They need to carry the poison back to the nest. I have seen them completely get rid of nests in two houses where they had been trying to get rid of the ants with powder for years.

saw couple of them around the bait yesterday.. hope this will help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭truebloodfan

iv been looking up websites and cinnemon sticks , borax, and corn starch powder keep coming up as solutions. any ideas where i could find corn starch in ireland ? is it the same as corn meal?? and where can that be got?
    they appear this time every year.

Well.. AntStop bait station(2x) works perfect.. didnt see ants for 3 days. yeaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

Hi.
    We had an invasion of ants inside the house about 4 years ago. They were everywhere! Kitchen, Living room, bathrooms!
    Got bayleaf trees planted close to the house at two corners and haven't seen the ants since. I think the smell repells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

iv been looking up websites and cinnemon sticks , borax, and corn starch powder keep coming up as solutions. any ideas where i could find corn starch in ireland ? is it the same as corn meal?? and where can that be got?
    they appear this time every year.

Corn starch is corn flour and you can get it in all supermarkets

I've also read that you can use talcum powder to deter the blighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fairygodmother2

iv got a large garden that iv bn recliamin from nature the past few years, hav found numerous red ant hills while doin it an man those things hurt when they bite! iv tryed all of the above to no avail but i do have a solution, semolina! get a bag in the shop nd your sorted. leave a pile for the ants to carry back to the queen when they eat it they swell up and explode and problem solved. when i dig into an ant hill i cover the ground in it, takes a few applications but they do go away. if theyre in the house use semolina and trace them back to the hole they r getn in and seal it up with some blu tack. if nothing works just start studying them, they have a very interesting complex society! so dont bother with expensive chemicals semolina and blu tack!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

ANTS HATE CINNAMON!

If you put a line of cinamon down Ants wont cross it, if you see them spill a line of it on the floor and see what happens,

I think your mixing up cinnamon with holy water and ants with vampires.

I've noticed a few around our place too, so will try Ant Stop bait station things. Thanks for the tip Waterford26!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SamGerald

Personally I think this site has the best ant bait, price and quality wise, of any site on the web. Might want to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

just letting you know that the rentokill bait-station does not work....for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Kill one of them and find out where the funeral is on, then go all medevil on the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Had a feast of em in the Kitchen last year and having tried nippon over the years found it useless, so tried

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEXiDda9h48yi5WINAEiG7MUArkcIn3yo9HeCGfocXMJvUTLE6cg

and found it great, just springled it along the edges of room where I saw them running but they were all over the place.

worked a treat, a few around now but hope they are only scouts, but have springled more of this stuff just in case.

Must test the vinegar and semolina suggestions sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 johnbcnone

Hi,

I have had a lot of problems with ants in my bedroom over last 3 weeks or so. Seem to first appear on inside of window. Did find a suspected nest where a radiator pipe comes through the carpet. Difficult to know exactly how they got into the house.
    No apparent trail to a nest in the garden. I used Eraza ant killer powder which I put on the inside windowsill and at radiator pipe. Powder very effective kills them straight away. No sign of ants today for the first time in about 3 weeks. Fingers crossed maybe just a thorough sealing job on the window will solve the problem. I also have some bait stations which I could leave around in case they reappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

You can't beat this chap....

180px-BlueAardvark.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 19 johnbcnone

Just to follow on from my initial post. I found that the Eraza Ant Killer Powder did the job. Did not need anything else. I left the powder down for about 5 days to be sure. All ant activity had disappeared after 3 days. Got Eraza powder from Nangles Nurseries, Carrigrohane, Cork. Cost just €3.99.

Advertisement