Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do 2.5" Hard drives not last as long as 3.5" ones?

Options
  • 11-03-2012 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

Would it be a bad idea to use a 2.5" drive in a machine that's always on?

I get the impression that despite assertions of high MTBF's in the spec sheets they are actually designed to only last a few thousand hours because thats all your average laptop will be used for anyway, few hours a day for 2-3 years. I had one of these drives fail a few months ago after only a year's use from new and a second one might be after going now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Read this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=865015

Google is your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

In theory you should get longer out of a 2.5", as they're designed to be used on the move. They *should* be built to higher mechanical specs so they don't damage themselves when the bus runs over a cyclist or whatever.

In practice I don't believe there's any difference if you compare like for like RPMs.

Advertisement