Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't Waterford people enjoy live music?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 smirkydee

Then with all the unemployment here now, not as many young people are here. A lot of gig going people just don't live here anymore. Students won't pay the money. Anything over 10 quid in Waterford is not contemplated by many unless you're a big fan. Maybe the forum should arrange a shuttle bus from the city centre haha

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

em.. yes I know that.. but what about a band playing in john roberts square? that still goes on from time to time..or the apple market, Waterford is crap at getting our name out their and advertising itself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

AdMMM wrote: »
    Em, the gigs at the Harvest Festival and Tall Ships attracted huge crowds because there were huge crowds in town... and were free! These one-off events (or at most annual) simply can't be compared to the week-to-week events in venues...

em.. yes I know that.. but what about a band playing in john roberts square? that still goes on from time to time..or the apple market, Waterford is crap at getting our name out their and advertising itself frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

old gregg wrote: »
    I suppose to some degree it's become a self perpetuating problem. Bands don't like coming to Waterford because the place has a reputation for not supporting live music so we don't get the choice and people go clubbing instead.
    For me personally, I love a live band so will travel pretty much anywhere to hear the music I like. I'd also love techno but find it more fun to skip up to the Twisted Pepper in Dublin than deal with the local clubs. It's also the case for me as a producer that I can get gigs easier outside of Ireland than in Waterford where I live.

But when it comes to live music in Waterford, it's hats off to Luminous Live & the Speakeasy Sessions down in Sals.

Great to hear from someone in the music industry. Is it just Waterford or is this happening elsewhere?
    I remember last summer when the 50 cent festival was happening in town, there were people on here almost willing and hoping it would fail. Why?
    We have a few good live venues in town but they seem to have cover band after cover band in them.
    Personally, I would much prefer to see an original band knocking out original tunes than to see another cover band. Sure, some of these original bands mightn't be great, but in time they might be. Then you can tell your grandchildren that you saw them before they were famous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

One thing missing is a small venue is the centre of town. This would help promote the culture of live music and should be able to accomodate local and touring bands. Other cities where the scene is more active , such as Dublin and Kilkenny have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

mrgardener wrote: »
    Great to hear from someone in the music industry. Is it just Waterford or is this happening elsewhere?
    I remember last summer when the 50 cent festival was happening in town, there were people on here almost willing and hoping it would fail. Why?
    We have a few good live venues in town but they seem to have cover band after cover band in them.
    Personally, I would much prefer to see an original band knocking out original tunes than to see another cover band. Sure, some of these original bands mightn't be great, but in time they might be. Then you can tell your grandchildren that you saw them before they were famous!

I can only compare with experiences in Dublin where there's plenty of oportunities to attend/play gigs and almost too many venues as well as Cork where there's always been a decent live scene.
    For sure you're right re the 50 cent event, many folks were willing it to fail unfortunately.

Still I do think there are some young folks working hard at trying to bring life to the live music scene around town and that's brilliant for all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Murphy's on the quay is a great spot for original music but unfortunately a lot of people tend to stay away from it due the stigma attached to it, 'oh its a rough bikers pub'. Murphys is run very well and you can be sure that if any trouble was to go on in there it would be stamped out immediately.

I wonder is there much of a teenage scene going on now? when i was between the ages of 13-16/17 there used to be gigs going on nearly every weekend in places like dooleys hotel, the bridge, electric avenue, the forum etc. and young bands from nearly all over the country would play at them, and the place used to be packed out. You'd never hear of anything like that going on these days.
    I remember when i was playing in bands when i was younger, Spraoi was like Glastonbury, and if your band got a slot on the teenage kicks stage it was like 'oh my god your gona be famous!' good times..

Its also true a lot of the even younger gig heads, i.e teens from the floyd soul and the wolf, pension roadshow, schlumpf, ilya k, dae kim era have all shagged off out of waterford for university, travelling and work. And so teens are growing up now without an underage scene to spark interest, but more teenage discos which just transpires into the clubbing scene.

Myself included. I left for dublin 3 years ago and so i dont get to go to much gigs in waterford these days, apart from the ones im playing in myself, but the ones i have been to over the last while have been very good especially in the front lounge, with fighting spiders, solar taxi, chimpanbee, ruby music nights, swamp stompers, kodakid, casanova wave etc. putting on great shows and a great crowd there.

Shortts are starting to do original music too, i think its like every second sunday night or something like that. We The People did a gig in there about a week or two ago and we did an opening set for them as they are friends of ours, and there was actually a nice crowd in there, especially considering 'The Peoples music is not what your typical club goer would listen to (heavy rock)

I'll stop now because this post is getting very long...

Murphy's is a great spot agreed. And when there's gig on in Sals on the same night it's almost like a festival down that part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

So are all you saying here, local lads bringing the best of the worlds dance acts to little old Waterford are idiots for doing so because its ruining the local live scene?

Waterford has one of the best dance cultures/scenes in Ireland and is renowned outside of Ireland as place for a lot of touring DJS/acts to travel to... but ye would rather they didnt because the live band scene is being damaged?

Someone saying above that the 'dance scene is about E or drug culture'
    What an absolute ignorant thing to say.. if you dont know what you're talking about then best not to say anything..

Old Gregg, im surprised I dont know you, maybe I do, but Waterford has a very open minded dance scene, im very surpirsed you cant get gigs, its one of the best areas for breaking new acts..

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

kkdela6 wrote: »

Shortts are starting to do original music too, i think its like every second sunday night or something like that. We The People did a gig in there about a week or two ago and we did an opening set for them as they are friends of ours, and there was actually a nice crowd in there...

Shortts have been doing original stuff since before christmas, id regularly haunt there on a Sunday,
    Good mixture of local and national original stuff, iv seen from the likes of chimpanbee to Ben Reel and the Barley Mob.
    I was at the gig last Sunday, are you in 20 miles that way ?
    Great band look forward to hearing more

• Advertisement

a few things savic04 ... the thing with me is that I just live for music and that especially goes for live Metal and Techno (in spite of my age). In my perfect world there would be live rock music every night folllowed by an all night tecnho session to round things off. I jest not.
    The stuff I do would be Ambient electronic music based around travels and location. Lots of field recordings. I'm currently working on an album based around travels in Berlin. This will be my 7th. In 2010 I toured a number of festivals in Europe with the material so am mixing that at the moment. But, I'm doing a live improv Techno performance in Dublin next month. It generally wouldn't be dance music. I can get gigs here but do find it easier to get foreign stuff mostly cos I don't have to look for them but probably would in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

savic04 wrote: »
    What an absolute ignorant thing to say.. if you dont know what you're talking about then best not to say anything..

Please give the quote where I say that the 'dance scene is about E or drug culture'. I gave the example of how many of my formerly live music loving friends got into dance music and the preferred drug of choice at the time. It (the drug) was everywhere at that time and to try and suggest that absolutely no link existed is folly. Like trying to argue that not ALL of the hippies at Woodstock smoked weed. I saw with my own eyes the withering of the live music scene in the face of the popularity of dance/rave/techno etc. I saw the non running taps and non flushing toilets in venues to prevent people on "E" from getting "free" water to cool down so the club owner could fleece the punters whos appetite for alcohol was diminished. Im not passing judgement,just saying what I saw. One "scene" became popular and another "scene" became less popular. This discussion is about why in peoples opinions that second scene lessened in popularity.
    The point (finally:rolleyes:) is I know what I saw and heard. Im speaking from experience,not second hand hype. Im not judging either way just giving my take on my EXPERIENCE. The opposite of ignorance in fact.

Nypd wrote: »
    Shortts have been doing original stuff since before christmas, id regularly haunt there on a Sunday,
    Good mixture of local and national original stuff, iv seen from the likes of chimpanbee to Ben Reel and the Barley Mob.
    I was at the gig last Sunday, are you in 20 miles that way ?
    Great band look forward to hearing more

I remember suggesting back in September that Shortts was looking like it was gonna start being a good spot for original gigs and a few posters slammed me for it, saying I was only dreaming and that it was never gonna happen. Feck the begrudgers ;)
    As a matter of interest were you at the WOMAG gig in crystal with the spiders and chimpanbee etc. or the 'de big session boy' in the forum? nearly wet myself at the lineups but i couldn't go due to dublin commitments, but i heard the turnouts weren't great. Thats madness! Fighting Spiders and Kodakid are two of my favourite bands and i think its class i can go see them for free on my own doorstep. Im moving back to waterford for work next week and can't wait to start getting out to see some more of the local acts.

And yea i'm in 20 miles, cheers for the comment it means a lot.
    So are all you saying here, local lads bringing the best of the worlds dance acts to little old Waterford are idiots for doing so because its ruining the local live scene?

The club scene is indeed great and thats all well and good if your into that kind of thing. No one is slamming that, its the lack of original live music we have a problem with.

But even then there is a live scene, like Old Gregg said on a night when there's a big band on in Murphys and the Luminous Live Sessions are on in Sals its like a big session on down the quay. The problem is the stigma associated with both of these pubs, and especially in the Sals area the lack of advertisement. And also the rivalry between Sals and Murphys.

Between The Front Lounge, Shortts, The Forum, Sals and Murphys, there is plenty to choose from as regards live music, and i think if more people began taking an interest and attending, the gigs might become more frequent.

There is a good few videos of local live bands on the Waterford Bands Youtube Thread, and i recommend everyone has a poke about on it and keep an eye out for gigs in the forthcoming future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

cycocycle wrote: »

Please give the quote where I say that the 'dance scene is about E or drug culture'. I gave the example of how many of my formerly live music loving friends got into dance music and the preferred drug of choice at the time. It (the drug) was everywhere at that time and to try and suggest that absolutely no link existed is folly. Like trying to argue that not ALL of the hippies at Woodstock smoked weed. I saw with my own eyes the withering of the live music scene in the face of the popularity of dance/rave/techno etc. I saw the non running taps and non flushing toilets in venues to prevent people on "E" from getting "free" water to cool down so the club owner could fleece the punters whos appetite for alcohol was diminished. Im not passing judgement,just saying what I saw. One "scene" became popular and another "scene" became less popular. This discussion is about why in peoples opinions that second scene lessened in popularity.
    The point (finally:rolleyes:) is I know what I saw and heard. Im speaking from experience,not second hand hype. Im not judging either way just giving my take on my EXPERIENCE. The opposite of ignorance in fact.

That was 15-20 years ago.. What has become of that scene is vastly different and is big business now for local clubs .

I think Waterford has a decent Live Music scene myself, it could be better but I think technology has played a part also ... Kids wanting Dj gear or laptops or iPods instead of guitars and drum kits

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

kkdela6 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest were you at the WOMAG gig in crystal with the spiders and chimpanbee etc. or the 'de big session boy' in the forum? nearly wet myself at the lineups but i couldn't go due to dublin commitments, but i heard the turnouts weren't great. Thats madness!

I was at the WOMAG gig in crystal there was a decent turnout for it, I know a few of the lads behind it, they rekoned there was about 300 at the gig, de big session done about 120/150 so I'm told wasn't at that gig tho.
    The spiders rocked crystal and Van Basten were another act that really stood out.
    Iv been to a few gigs in the loft part of crystal too, the lads from beta lounge have had kodakid, amber jean and a good few original bands there, small venue but well worth a look

Nypd wrote: »
    I was at the WOMAG gig in crystal there was a decent turnout for it, I know a few of the lads behind it, they rekoned there was about 300 at the gig, de big session done about 120/150 so I'm told wasn't at that gig tho.
    The spiders rocked crystal and Van Basten were another act that really stood out.
    Iv been to a few gigs in the loft part of crystal too, the lads from beta lounge have had kodakid, amber jean and a good few original bands there, small venue but well worth a look

The spiders will rock any venue they play in haha. De big session was a great lineup im very suprised at only 120-150 people. And as a venue i really like the forum, nice layout, nice clientele, expensive pints alright but you'll have that. seriously good entertainment for the price you pay. havent been there since new years and new years was absolutely savage

Yea i know a few heads from the beta lounge, we were asked to play at the one on friday night there a few weeks ago but due to dublin commitments again cant do it. havent been able to go to any of them because of dublin, but im looking forward to the one in april as ive heard they are great nights

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Stayfrosty2

Suas11 wrote: »
    I saw ASIWYFA in the Forum just before New Years' and I thought the atmosphere was great.

Mmm I was at that too with two of my friends and we had a ball but thought the crowd were ****e!
    I thoroughly enjoyed myself but thought that the crowd gave a piss poor reaction to ASIWYFA.
    I am now even more prejudiced against Waterford people.
    Am heading to see Damien Dempsey in the forum this winter so hopefully there'll be a better atmosphere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Don't bother.Get in them fields and pick them strawberries.

Mmm I was at that too with two of my friends and we had a ball but thought the crowd were ****e!
    I thoroughly enjoyed myself but thought that the crowd gave a piss poor reaction to ASIWYFA.
    Am heading to see Damien Dempsey in the forum this winter so hopefully there'll be a better atmosphere!!

I was there that night. I've seen the band on several occasions around Ireland and spoken with them from time to time. The crowd loved them. The atmosphere was brilliant. Support on the night was from Waterford's wonderful Great Ocean Divide and pretty much everyone had a ball.

Maybe you should take your parochial prejudices and jog on.

I was there that night. I've seen the band on several occasions around Ireland and spoken with them from time to time. The crowd loved them. The atmosphere was brilliant. Support on the night was from Waterford's wonderful Great Ocean Divide and pretty much everyone had a ball.

Maybe you should take your parochial prejudices and jog on.

Are we talking about the same gig? This the one with Toby karr and rsag supporting, it was on directly after Christmas?
    because the one I was at the crowd didn't really get into it as much as I'd be used to at an asiwyfa gig. Never said the crowd didn't love them or that I didn't enjoy the gig but their music is so infectious I really expected more. This coming from a fan who has also seen the numerous times and spoken with them on occasion. I was just a bit disheartened with the crowd reaction after seeing what those crowds are usually like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

I love live music, just not the bands mentioned.

Are we talking about the same gig? This the one with Toby karr and rsag supporting, it was on directly after Christmas?

Yep, same gig. https://www.facebook.com/events/173600392722647/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I've posted here before but I was in the front row and everyone around me was going crazy when they were playing, so I thought the crowd were good. Although, there wasn't as many people there as I thought there would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ghostbusthat

I don't even know where to begin with how much the state of live music in Waterford annoys me. Sure, the Forum have gigs every now and again but the turnout is rarely something to shout about. I was at ASIWYFA in the Forum there last December as well, seems a bit mental that it's one of the only gigs people are mentioning and it took place close to nine months ago. There are very few people (in my experience) that will support local music and these are the same people that will complain that no "bigger" bands play here. You've got to support local music if there is any chance of some kind of scene growing to attract more popular bands. No band from Dublin, Cork, etc wants to travel down here to play to a crowd of about five people.
    Basically, Waterford is doomed musically.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I think they just have to promote the concerts more. For example, Fionn Regan was playing in the Forum last year or maybe the year before. I'm a fan of his and I definitely would have gone but I only found out about it a day or two before the gig and wasn't able to go. I just think they should promote it more by maybe putting up more posters or advertising a bit more on the radio (maybe they do that already, I don't really listen to WLR or Beat that much).

Also, I was thinking of seeing the Delorentos at the Forum in December. Anyone know if they're any good live?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I think they just have to promote the concerts more. For example, Fionn Regan was playing in the Forum last year or maybe the year before. I'm a fan of his and I definitely would have gone but I only found out about it a day or two before the gig and wasn't able to go. I just think they should promote it more by maybe putting up more posters or advertising a bit more on the radio (maybe they do that already, I don't really listen to WLR or Beat that much).

Also, I was thinking of seeing the Delorentos at the Forum in December. Anyone know if they're any good live?
    Ye there deadly live seen them about 7 times .

I've posted here before but I was in the front row and everyone around me was going crazy when they were playing, so I thought the crowd were good. Although, there wasn't as many people there as I thought there would be.

I'd say I was one of the people going crazy, but you're right about the size of the crowd though. Any other time I've seen them places have been packed, I think it was that which kinda put me off!

And So I Watch You From Afar return to The Forum next month. If you're a fan of live music I suggest going to see them!
    http://www.forumwaterford.ie/listings/45194

+1 for ASIWYFA. Caught them loads of times and they are class.

shameless self promo off topic plug but many thanks to all who came along to my performance in Garter Lane 2 weeks ago :)

• Advertisement

goodbye to The Forum.

Advertisement