Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JEE 5/6 Books

Options
  • 11-03-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi, I know there's a sticky on this board for Book Recommendations, but I'm not recommending, I'm asking. So if this still isn't the right place, please move.

It's been about 10 years since I did any J2EE work. Back then it was Servlets, JSP & EJB. The persistence stuff was handled via EJB:Entity Beans (CMP or BMP). A lot seems to have changed over the years with new frameworks, JEE profiles, etc. It seems anytime you ask anyone about JEE you end up getting a rant about how all you have to do is bury your head in either Struts/Spring/Grails/JPA/Hibernate/etc/etc. This is no good to me as I'm involved in a project where the frameworks used will be decided in lands far far away, beyond my control, so what I need is a solid foundation to the contemporary JEE (not J2EE) world & not a specific framework.

My focus will be on Web App dev / transaction logic, but I know the way this will pan out that we will probably use many container services over time (Weblogic). At the moment the team is using JEE 5. However is there much difference between 5 & 6 in terms of everyday JEE development?.

I expect to be buying a big fat book, which will go through everything from Servlets, JSP/JSTL/Faces, EJB, ORM/Persistence, XML, etc. Most of the books seems to introduce topics with Glassfish as the app server. So what I really don't want is a book that rambles on for pages and pages on how you use the management portal in Glassfish for deployment, etc. In fact I would prefer to manage deployment myself using the likes of Maven.

Any good book(s) come to mind? I see the O'Reilly in a nutshell books, but I can't help but notice the publication date. Surely I'm looking for a book that has been published in the last 2 years? or has the foundation (as opposed to frameworks) seen much less revision?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I have found little to no recommendations for this either. Lots of books, lots of people but few recommendations possibly because it is such a huge field.

Would also love some recommendations from people.

There is Oracles documentation, that looks good and is of course up to date so I am just starting there and moving on as needs be to some FLOSS project to get my feet wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

One of the books I read as an introduction was "Spring Persistence with Hibernate" Bu Paul Tepper Fisher and Brian D. Murphy - it was quite helpful for me moving from Java SE to Java EE although to be honest thats the framework that we develop with in work - either way its a good start.

Advertisement