Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musicians confined to a wheelchair

Options
  • 11-03-2012 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

I seen a video the other day for hard fi and seen one of them was using a wheelchair, even though there is no reason a person in a wheelchair shouldnt be able to play a guitar as good as one standing it still caught me unawares , simply because you dont see it often.
    For all I know he was just using it in that video because there was one lying around , it wasnt an official video like.
    We have all heard of the one armed drummer , but are there many successful musicians in wheelchairs. Apparantly the fella who wrote save the last dance was in one.
    Can anyone think of any more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

vic chesnutt, left partially paralyzed after a car accident when he was 18.

john martyn in his later years after having a leg amputated below the knee. dunno if he was 'confined' to one but anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

cloptrop wrote: »
    Apparantly the fella who wrote save the last dance was in one.

That would be the legendary songwriter Doc Pomus, who had polio as a child which resulted in him using a wheelchair most of his adult life. He's immortalised in a song by Ben Folds (on his album Lonely Avenue, lyrics by novelist Nick Hornby) and Lou Reed's Magic and Loss album is co-dedicated to him.
    Pomus and Mort Shuman wrote a lot of major hits in the fifties and sixties: Save the Last Dance you've mentioned already, but also A Teenager In Love, Viva Las Vegas, Suspicion, (Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame, Surrender and Sweets for My Sweet.

Robert Wyatt of Soft Machine is a highly respected musician. He was the drummer in Soft Machine and (later) Matching Mole, but was paralysed after falling out a window. His subsequent solo albums are all very highly regarded, especially Rock Bottom, which regularly features in "classic album" lists. I'm also pretty sure that David Bowie rates Wyatt's version of Elvis Costello's Shipbuilding as one of his favourite tracks of all time. There was also some controversy when the BBC had "issues" with a wheelchair-bound Wyatt appearing on Top of the Pops performing his version of I'm A Believer. Wyatt won out.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Then there's these guys:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Robert Wyatt on stage with David Gilmour,

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Not a hugely known band which is a shame because of the talent.

Fergus from Interference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Curtis Mayfield was paralysed from the neck down after lighting equipment fell on him at a concert. It was a shame because he was a great musician.

Advertisement