Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanding uneven metal surface - how to do?

• 11-03-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I need to sand a bumpy metal surface - not to get rid of the bumps but just to remove a layer of surface rust/oxide. There's a lot of metal involved and I'm wondering if there's some way of doing it with a power tool with a sponge-like sanding head rather than painstakingly using wire wool etc?

Or is it maybe possible to use some magic chemical instead that reacts with and removes the layer of rust/oxide?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Wire wheel or wire cup

http://www.hammerite.co.uk/guide/rust_remover_gel.jsp might work too.

[edit] If you use a wire wheel or cup then use a mains electric drill or an angle grinder, battery-powered tools generally don't have enough oompf
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSloKbzCONyaINLdpQaoQ06hkBpyc9eMuxHWiHUgJbjbGgEr0LM
    [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Thanks slimjim - didn't know those wire wheel yokes even existed but figured there had to be something like them out there! Might try out the rust removal stuff too but suspect it could never be that easy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got a bottle of corro-dip in a local hardware store and its pretty amazing stuff.
    You make up a solution of it in warm water and leave the item to soak for a few hours take it out and its bare metal.
    Good stuff and safe to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Just a word of advice when using those wire brushes.

Wear leather gloves and full face protection.

When those little wires come lose at 6000rpm, they stick into skin and eyes. ;)

Learned this the hard way.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Just a word of advice when using those wire brushes.

Wear leather gloves and full face protection.

When those little wires come lose at 6000rpm, they stick into skin and eyes. ;)

Learned this the hard way.:eek:
    exactly, they are quite dangerous for begginers, they tend to grab and throw the grinder around, but they do get the job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I am going to go at the rust spots on my car this weekend. I will need to remove all the rust first before I fill the holes with Isopon. What brush tool bits can I use with a hand drill to get at the rust? ... and where may I be able to pick them up?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I like the polycarbide discs you can get them in different grades in woodies and B&Q.

56-200.jpg

Advertisement