Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Lease, no reciepts

Options
  • 11-03-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

My landlord doesn't like doing paperwork and said he had problems with people paying by DD before. He got his friend to do my tenancy agreement with me, and it was all done very rushed. I am in the house now a month and a half, and have paid the rent for this month by cash but didn't ask for a receipt :o I read over the agreement and there is no mention of time. Silly me assumed it would be a one year agreement. If I get a rent book and get my landlord to sign for last months rent, along with everyone to follow, but also write the year agreement on the front and deposit taken details, does that stand up? I think he does want me to stay, but genuinely doesn't like paperwork. Just for my own peace of mind I need something. I want to fix up a few things about the house but I'm not going to do that for me to be evicted a month later! Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

my landlord doesn't like paperwork sounds like a great phrase for evading tax IMO. I can't answer you but I don't like the sound of it unless he was a family friend etc and you could trust him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Check and see if your tenancy is registered with the PRTB.

Just ask him about the tenancy, duration, etc. A BER cert and rentbook are required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Do you have a copy of the agreement. If you do, on the first page it should say what type of tenancy it is. If it does not say anything then I think it would be a Part 4 tenancy.

Did you pay a deposit? If you did, did you get a receipt for that.

As he does not like paper work and the fact that a friend drew up the lease, (if he did not use a "standard" one available on the internet, and it was "created" by his friend, it is probably full of loopholes and errors) but it cannot over-ride anything in the Residential Tenancies Act 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Loopylady12

ShizDink wrote: »
    My landlord doesn't like doing paperwork and said he had problems with people paying by DD before. He got his friend to do my tenancy agreement with me, and it was all done very rushed. I am in the house now a month and a half, and have paid the rent for this month by cash but didn't ask for a receipt :o I read over the agreement and there is no mention of time. Silly me assumed it would be a one year agreement. If I get a rent book and get my landlord to sign for last months rent, along with everyone to follow, but also write the year agreement on the front and deposit taken details, does that stand up? I think he does want me to stay, but genuinely doesn't like paperwork. Just for my own peace of mind I need something. I want to fix up a few things about the house but I'm not going to do that for me to be evicted a month later! Thanks for any advice :)

Sounds a wee bit dodgy u should insist on a rent book an sign another lease if u can, if he dosent want u paying dd he dosent want it done officially and through proper channels?! This would raise serious questions for me ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

DO you need a rent book in private rented accomodation with an owner occupier? Private renting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShizDink

Is there harm in not having record of rent paid? what would be the worst thing to happen if I didn't have a rent book?

Advertisement