Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you pay for bills monthly (electricity + gas)?

Options
  • 11-03-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Three of us share a 3 bedroom house and we pay 340euro(last bill) per month(winter time) and 280-300euro(summer time) for electricity and gas. We are with Airtricity. I just want to know is it a lot or the price is ok?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

340 per month is waaay too high.
    Does the heating run on electricity as well? It's still too high, even if it's 340 bi-monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

340??? Are you nuts. That's way to high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

the_bat wrote: »
    Three of us share a 3 bedroom house and we pay 340euro(last bill) per month(winter time) and 280-300euro(summer time) for electricity and gas. We are with Airtricity. I just want to know is it a lot or the price is ok?

What size is the HPS and extractor you are running?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

340??? Are you nuts. That's way to high.

Maybe not, they could be growing weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the fcuk? my esb bill was 75 quid from november-january, 340 a month is insane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Maybe not, they could be growing weed.

Are you OP? €340/month is nuts unless you live in winsor castle?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Are you paying for your Neighbours as well?

That's an extortionate amount of money to pay! I'd get that checked as well as your meter!

Found your house on google maps

Sure no wonder it's so high:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

EUR 85.53 for ESB
    EUR 48.98 for GAS

2 month period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Are you being told this is what they are or do you get to see the bill? Seems very high.

Our gas bill is included in the rent, ESB is about 100 pop during the winter, maybe 60 a pop during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

That's high, my bill was 129 over the winter months. I've a baby, so the heating, water, steriliser, washing / dryer is on frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Is anyone overly fond of having the heat on?

From living in house shares I've realised that a lot of people don't know that the immersion is to be turned off!!! and that eight hours plus of heating is INSANE!

Don't Airtricity bill you every two months?

Jesus christ man if you're paying that every month get onto them straight away, thats un natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Whoever is in charge of paying the bills is robbing you blind. No way your paying 340 a month for ESB and Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

€340 per month is absolutely ridiculous. Are you sure one of your housemates doesn't have a cannabis plantation in your attic or something? That is just extraordinarily high. You guys should definitely try to be more conservative with your energy use, seriously.

Airtricity bi-monthly bills for us are about €160. That's pretty low for a family, I think, but we cut our own timber and switch off electronics when they're not in use, so this helps.

We use oil, only about three hundred euro worth per year though.

Is anyone overly fond of having the heat on?

From living in house shares I never realised so many people don't know that the immersion is to be turned off!!! and that eight hours plus of heating is INSANE!

Don't Airtricity bill you ever two months?

Jesus christ man if you're paying that every month get onto them straight away, thats un natural.

I don't mind the heat but I suffer from this:p

In 2004, psychologist John M. Grohol wrote a satirical piece for The Psych Central Report. I ran this last year, and it seems appropriate to excerpt it again:

"It is an age-old question that has haunted people since the first string of lights was strung in the 20th century," Grohol wrote. "Why do some people seem to go a little crazy with the amount of lights and displays they put on their homes and lawns? What makes some people think that this is a good idea? This growing phenomenon has turned into a full-blown behavioral addiction for some."

Indeed it has; one with its very own WebRing. It’s the time of year when afflicted people manifest CLA—Christmas Lights Addiction.

"It is an extreme behavior of an otherwise normal expression of a celebration of the holidays,” Grohol continues. “If you're one of these folks who can't live without their million-light holiday display, seek help. Imagine how much better your gift to the world would be if you donated your electricity costs to a local charity or homeless shelter.

micropig wrote: »
    I don't mind the heat but I suffer from this:p

In 2004, psychologist John M. Grohol wrote a satirical piece for The Psych Central Report. I ran this last year, and it seems appropriate to excerpt it again:

"It is an age-old question that has haunted people since the first string of lights was strung in the 20th century," Grohol wrote. "Why do some people seem to go a little crazy with the amount of lights and displays they put on their homes and lawns? What makes some people think that this is a good idea? This growing phenomenon has turned into a full-blown behavioral addiction for some."

Indeed it has; one with its very own WebRing. It’s the time of year when afflicted people manifest CLA—Christmas Lights Addiction.

"It is an extreme behavior of an otherwise normal expression of a celebration of the holidays,” Grohol continues. “If you're one of these folks who can't live without their million-light holiday display, seek help. Imagine how much better your gift to the world would be if you donated your electricity costs to a local charity or homeless shelter.

HA! I don't mind a bit of festive cheer, I'm not a complete Victor Mildrew, but the immersion being left on for days "because it costs more to turn off and on than just leaving it on for an hour to get a shower" on my buck still makes me wake up in a cold sweat.

No one EVER wants to see a gas bill for 400 euro for one month. Ever. EVER! Even if it was being split four ways.

HA! I don't mind a bit of festive cheer, I'm not a complete Victor Mildrew, but the immersion being left on for days "because it costs more to turn off and on than just leaving it on for an hour to get a shower" on my buck still makes me wake up in a cold sweat.

No one EVER wants to see a gas bill for 400 euro for one month. Ever. EVER! Even if it was being split four ways.

you'd want to sort out leaving that immersion on:eek::eek:This is the cause of the large big, also tumble dryers.....

I'd have a heart attack if I got a bill that size for the month, there be no electricity used in Micropigs house for the next 6 months, cold showers all round, that'll learn them:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

19.00 per month Gas
    54 - 94 on ESB that bi-monthly (lowest & highest bill)
    that 3ppl in a 3bed house

i nearly got sick wit the €94 bill:mad:!! never mind yours:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If it's only adults in a house, it's pretty easy to watch and limit your fuel consumption.

micropig wrote: »
    you'd want to sort out leaving that immersion on:eek::eek:This is the cause of the large big, also tumble dryers.....

I'd have a heart attack if I got a bill that size for the month, there be no electricity used in Micropigs house for the next 6 months, cold showers all round, that'll learn them:p:D

Oh I'm long gone from there!

It's good to be living with those who suffer from immersion, washing machine etc paranoia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

3 in our house

Leccy bill every two months, €60 to €70 each

Oil Bill every two months, €33 each (we actually get two fills a year totaling €600)

The OPs bill scares me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

2 bed apt: 80 a month usually

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Jebus Crust on a Cheese Toastie, that's a lot of money!!!

I used my electric storage heating every single night ALL over Winter and my bill for TWO months was 240 quid! And my shower and cooker runs off the electric. No way in hell it should be that high (unless, from personal experience, someone is using an electric fireplace)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I paid 190 for gas and electricity for the last two months - I do leave on my immersion all the time as a plumber friend told me it didn't actually make all that much difference and I like the extra few minutes in bed before having to turn on water for a shower Idon't have the heat on overnight). that includes 7 rads and an electric fire, washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, cooker, 2 tvs, 2 laptops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Maggie the Kat

My tenants use between 260-280 on esb every two months. I pay the bill up to the value of 265 , anything over they pay. I think its very high. My own is 160-180 evry 2 months. But then they 4 people , who in turn have 4 tellys running and games consoles etc. and 2 fridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Two month bill in from BG yesterday is €340 :eek:

All-electric, but that's pretty high even for Winter, the last one was €220 IIRC.

I'll have to check this weekend to see that nothing's calibrated weirdly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cazzgirl

Esb 2 month electricty Bill 110euro

Flogas 2 month gas bill 100euro

3 bed house with adult and 1 child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

amtc wrote: »
    I do leave on my immersion all the time as a plumber friend told me it didn't actually make all that much difference

Can this be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

One bed apt, storage heating, no electric shower, water heated by emersion, last bill 480 euro for 2 months, never any less than 240 and highest was 550 winter 2010. Moving out in next few weeks. Think im heating the whole neighbourhood!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

amtc wrote: »
    I do leave on my immersion all the time as a plumber friend told me it didn't actually make all that much difference
    mikom wrote: »
    Can this be true?

I'm wondering same?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement