Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you pay for bills monthly (electricity + gas)?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

amtc wrote: »
    I do leave on my immersion all the time as a plumber friend told me it didn't actually make all that much difference
    mikom wrote: »
    Can this be true?
    dearg lady wrote: »
    I'm wondering same?!
    It depends on your usage. There's a school of thought that over the long-term you're wasting more energy by having a timed immersion because the water in the tank gets heated fully, then cools fully, then you reheat it again when the immersion kicks in again.
    If you leave the immersion on all the time, it will keep the temperature of the water in the tank "topped up" - as it's based on a thermostat it won't actually be "on" constantly, it will just kick in for ten or 20 minutes every couple of hours.

It's hard to say which is best and is dependent on a number of factors such as how much hot water you use, when you use it, how well insulated your tank is, etc. My immersion kicks in overnight (I'm on a nightsaver tarriff), and on the rare days that we use little hot water, I'll still find hot water in the tank at 10pm at night. That's down to the insulation on my tank. But it means that I have no need to keep it "topped up" by leaving the immersion on.

If you tend to use all of your hot water in the morning rather than the evening, then leaving it on all the time would mean that you empty the entire tank in the morning, then it heats up a full tank again in the afternoon and you're spending money maintaining that heat even though the water won't be used until the next morning.

If you tend to use your water much more evenly through the day (i.e. you find yourself switching on the immersion every couple of hours), then it may work out more efficient to just leave it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Tiny bills you guys have...

We're in a 4 bed house in Dublin...are pretty conservative with use of gas, cooker is electric too, we're out all day so heat is off...

Just got a Gas bill today €320 :eek:

last one was €520 :eek:

last ESB bill was €171 :eek:

So Nov - Jan ESB/Gas combined was €690..there is only the three of us and we go easy on light heat cooking etc....

what is going on ? confused.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I live in a 2 bed apartment, pay about 80-110 Euro for 2 months - Bord Gais Electricity and gas is low at about 30/40 - 2 months - Bord Gais Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Zipppy wrote: »
    Tiny bills you guys have...

We're in a 4 bed house in Dublin...are pretty conservative with use of gas, cooker is electric too, we're out all day so heat is off...

Just got a Gas bill today €320 :eek:

last one was €520 :eek:

last ESB bill was €171 :eek:

So Nov - Jan ESB/Gas combined was €690..there is only the three of us and we go easy on light heat cooking etc....

what is going on ? confused.gif

WHAT?????

That's exponential! You might wanna get that checked out, that doesn't sound right to me at all. You seem to be paying in 2-4 months what I pay in about 8(ish) months, maybe even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sciencetec

the_bat wrote: »
    Three of us share a 3 bedroom house and we pay 340euro(last bill) per month(winter time) and 280-300euro(summer time) for electricity and gas. We are with Airtricity. I just want to know is it a lot or the price is ok?

Did you ever find out why it was so high?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Please open your own thread if you want to discuss gas/electricity prices. This thread was last posted on 3 years ago. Please leave zombie threads alone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement