Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic chat...

• 11-03-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Thought it would be nice to have a general chat area about our teens/ per teens something's don't merit a thread of their own.

Here is my first imput.

Went to get my daughter a nice pair of heals for a wedding she is attending (without us) she is a size 6.5 to me that's big for a 12 year old but the lady in the shop said she is getting kids come in for their conformation shoes and they are a 8 or 9. I got talking to her school mates and some of the girls have size 7 and 8 feet. Years ago I never heard of girls having size 8 feet.

Wow are our girls getting big feet. My daughters dad is a size 12 so I hope her feet stop growing soon. my feet are 6.5 -7 depending on the shoe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Good idea Grindelwald- it's good to talk.

My oldest girl has had size 7 feet since she was 12- she's 17 now and 5ft9.

On another note- she's dyed her hair a horrible blonde colour.
    We're all naturally dark blonde but this is something else and she's pale whereas the rest of us have sallow skin- strange to watch your baby turn a whiter shade of pale:eek:
    I await the horror of the roots growing out.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

Feet sizes seem to be getting bigger alright. My 16 year old son wears 10.5 or 11 and has been that size since primary. When the teenage girls call round and take off their shoes on wet days (their own decision) their shoes look tiny next to the teenage boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I've had size 9 feet since I was around 14... they're almost a size 10 now since being pregnant! When I was in school years ago it used to be awful, there was no such thing as big sizes in girls shoes so I had to wear mens shoes to school!

Now though, it's a lot easier... barretts do upto size 11, cinderella shoes are an irish business that do big shoes, simply be.ie, even debenhams and M&S do bigger sizes! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Liliq, your username should be BIGFOOT :O ;)

I can only imagine growing up with big feet in the 80s or 90s it was hard to get a 7 let alone a 9. There are a few places now that do bigger sizes.

Sounds like my daughters feet aren't going to grow much more.

She is delighted with her new hair style, you can see any pink in it when she has her hair down. She off sick from school a the moment, says her tummy is at her but was well able to make herself a cappuccino....

msthe80s wrote: »
    Good idea Grindelwald- it's good to talk.

My oldest girl has had size 7 feet since she was 12- she's 17 now and 5ft9.

On another note- she's dyed her hair a horrible blonde colour.
    We're all naturally dark blonde but this is something else and she's pale whereas the rest of us have sallow skin- strange to watch your baby turn a whiter shade of pale:eek:
    I await the horror of the roots growing out.........

Does she like the colour herself? I remember going red when i was 14 and i loved it everyone else hated it.... I've only been red once since then and now at 31 im my natural colour for the first time since i was 12. (i went black when i was 12 because a boy i liked, liked a girl with black hair) i looked like an eejit....

My lady wanted to go white blond and i said 'no' told her she could get a few white blond highlights done so it looks more natural. So that's what she did and added the flash of pink underneath. The salon was great with her, there was a woman about 80 sitting next to her, she reached over grabbed my daughters arm and said 'all the boys will be after you' and started giggling like a school child... My daughter went bright red....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

My ternagers have pretty small feet. My 2 teenage lads 15/17 only wear size 8 like their dad and my daughter aged 13 wears a 4 like myself.

Very handy for swaps with her:)

Very handy for swaps with her:)

My daughter nabs my shoes sometimes, cant wait to get my hands on her new heals, the wedding is in august so i have to wait until she has worn them first.

linky - http://www.itsshoetime.ie/Product/322/heels/glamour-et206-fuschia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

My daughter nabs my shoes sometimes, cant wait to get my hands on her new heals, the wedding is in august so i have to wait until she has worn them first.

They are gorgeous:)

Does she like the colour herself?

Yes:eek:- but every day she washes it,& it looks blonder- I mean whiter:eek:

She dyed it dark brown before despite hairdresser advising against it.Then spent months saying she regretted it as the roots were so fair against the dark.
    Ah sure ,there's worse things they could be experimenting with.

(msthe80s starts praying.....again )

We share shoes sometimes too- or I should say,my shoes make their own way upstairs and aren't as quick at coming back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

Those shoes are gorgeous and I like the matching bag.

My 16 year old lad came home from his foroige group last night and said he's volunteered to act as MC at the annual foroige awards night where there'll be 10 foroige groups in attendance. I'm impressed that he's got the balls to stand up in front of so many teenagers and some adults, I don't think I'd be able to do it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Hey I'm throwing this in here because I know its been discussed before and its not a problem, just me being curious!

I was chatting to a friend recently who told me her 11 and 12 year old go to bed at 6.30pm in the evening and read till 7pm... Personally I was shocked! sometimes we would only be having dinner at that time!
    My lady goes to bed at about 9 and reads till 9.30.. sometimes if I feel she is tired it will be a half hour earlier..

Anyway what time do ur kids go to bed at??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Whats your friends reasoning behind this m,lady, do they have to get up early? Personally I think its far too early, I cant imagine getting away with this without a major battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

m'lady wrote: »
    Hey I'm throwing this in here because I know its been discussed before and its not a problem, just me being curious!

I was chatting to a friend recently who told me her 11 and 12 year old go to bed at 6.30pm in the evening and read till 7pm... Personally I was shocked! sometimes we would only be having dinner at that time!
    My lady goes to bed at about 9 and reads till 9.30.. sometimes if I feel she is tired it will be a half hour earlier..

Anyway what time do ur kids go to bed at??!

My 1yr old goes to bed at 7 :eek:

jesus I'd hate to think what time they are waking up at???

My 12 year old goes to bed at between 9.30 and 10.00, weekends 10.30-11.00 (depending on her/our humour) she has to eat a big snack (2 toast and beans, or something of simular carbohydrates) at 9PM and take insulin.

Sweet Jebus- I don't think mine went that early even as babies!

Buachaill goes 9.30 ish...to be honest thats probably because he's the youngest.The cailiní went at 8 ,and read until 9 when they were his age.
    I'd imagine those children don't tell their pals they go to bed at 7- or they'd probably be laughed at.

That's very very very early:eek: but each to their own.

Daisy M wrote: »
    Whats your friends reasoning behind this m,lady, do they have to get up early? Personally I think its far too early, I cant imagine getting away with this without a major battle.

Hey her reasoning is she thinks kids needs lots of sleep! They up at about 8am, so not really early! Personally I think it's nearly too much sleep!

Lol I actually asked her what she does when the evenings start getting bright and her reply was 'that's what blackout blinds are for!' ... And yes I agree each to their own.. there are some evenings I'd love to send my one at that time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 magrat

Mine older two, (currently 19/21) were well into their teens before I allowed them to stay up past 9pm... but then i was a stay at home mum untill the eldest was 18 so I liked my space!!

My youngest is 12 - almost 13 and apart from scouts night is sent to bed around 8.30 and lights out 9pm latest....still like my space from early teen angst - lol.

I have two girls who are both now the same shoe size as me - and none of my shoes are safe!! Mind you I switch roles every now and then and steal the elder ones shoes - alls fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Laughing at the shoes. Back in the 70s I remember being allowed down town, in fifth year, with a friend who needed to get new runners. When we went into the shoe shop there was only a teenage boy serving. She was so embarrassed by being a size 6 (big in those days) that she wouldn't try them on as she told him she was buying them for a friend. :D

Laughing at the shoes. Back in the 70s I remember being allowed down town, in fifth year, with a friend who needed to get new runners. When we went into the shoe shop there was only a teenage boy serving. She was so embarrassed by being a size 6 (big in those days) that she wouldn't try them on as she told him she was buying them for a friend. :D

Ive done that in my time, buying for a freind excuse.....

my daughter needed knickers and we went to dunnes and they was a guy serving in the womens section so she wouldnt buy any, so i went up and paid for them..... (wish they were for me, but they were 2 sizes too small :o)

A guy working on the womens checkouts, it doesnt bother me but it certainly bothers female teens... you think dunnes would have more sense.

• Advertisement

:D I remember mortifying my daughter one evening when we were in Dunnes. She had picked out a couple of bras and of course handed them to me to hold because she was too embarrassed to carry them around. I spotted a friend across the shop and started waving to her, with the bra hand. She hissed so loudly at me I've only partial hearing in that ear now. :pac:

Confirmation over :D thankfully...

My lady has decided to go to an adventure centre for a week in august (residential summer camp) , so that is booked and paid for and I dont have another religious thing to attend for another 2 years.

This good weather has my kids outside for most of the evening, she went for a 6 k walk with her dad last night.

My lil one (11 years) got her period last week! My heart went out to her I have to say, had cramps and I was surprised how heavy it was.. Poor pet :(. She is now in a panic as she is going to Florida in June and worried that she will get them over there, I'm hoping she doesn't as will be awkward as there are lots of water parks involved, but nothing we can really do..

I felt so old buying st's for my daughter! I'm only 32!

Confirmation over :D thankfully...

My lady has decided to go to an adventure centre for a week in august (residential summer camp) , so that is booked and paid for and I dont have another religious thing to attend for another 2 years.

This good weather has my kids outside for most of the evening, she went for a 6 k walk with her dad last night.

I know it's great seeing them getting out isn't it? I love it!

My lil one (11 years) got her period last week! My heart went out to her I have to say, had cramps and I was surprised how heavy it was.. Poor pet :(. She is now in a panic as she is going to Florida in June and worried that she will get them over there, I'm hoping she doesn't as will be awkward as there are lots of water parks involved, but nothing we can really do..

There shouldn't be a problem with her using tampons. My daughter was 11 and after a day of pads decided to opt for tampons. The only thing I had to do was make her read and reread all the toxic shock information until she knew it off by heart and then discreetly remind her for the first while to make sure she changed them regularly. It meant she never had a problem swimming or wearing togs. A lot of people seem to disapprove of girls that young using them but I can't think why.

Oh no...

My lady is 12, 13 in september and no sign of them yet :). she has been getting cramps monthly for a few months but nothing happens, were off to italy in 6 weeks so fingers crossed they stay away for another couple of months.

M'lady your just a little bit older than me, im 31 until the end of June...

There shouldn't be a problem with her using tampons. My daughter was 11 and after a day of pads decided to opt for tampons. The only thing I had to do was make her read and reread all the toxic shock information until she knew it off by heart and then discreetly remind her for the first while to make sure she changed them regularly. It meant she never had a problem swimming or wearing togs. A lot of people seem to disapprove of girls that young using them but I can't think why.

Yes I know what you mean, I don't know why but I just feel a bit 'funny' with the idea of her using them, even though I use them myself, and have done for years. Mmm maybe I'll have a think about it.. Thanks!

Oh no...

My lady is 12, 13 in september and no sign of them yet :). she has been getting cramps monthly for a few months but nothing happens, were off to italy in 6 weeks so fingers crossed they stay away for another couple of months.

M'lady your just a little bit older than me, im 31 until the end of June...

Awww hopefully they stay away till after holiday! I feel so old lately it's not funny, I swear to god! Think it's my job making me feel like this :(

What a little prick he is for breaking my baby's heart and despite what he said already had someone else lined up. :mad:

• Advertisement

What a little prick he is for breaking my baby's heart and despite what he said already had someone else lined up. :mad:

:mad:

Poor kid, better off without him, it will take a while before she realises it though.... :(

Advertisement