Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time to Jack the Job

• 11-03-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭

With the high personal rates of taxation top rate over 50% and charges such as household charge at present 100 euro and going to be around 500 euro in the medium term, water charges 250-300 euro, car fuel up 20% in last six months, College fees going up every year and no hope of a accomdation grant the treat to tax the childern allowance is it time for families earning less than 50,000 a year to jack the job and go on the dole queue

If they have paid for there house should they sell it enjoy the proceeds ( holidays, booze and what ever else take there fancy) so that when they jack the job they have to be housed by the local aurhority.

Also give up medical Insurance generally sponge off state

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Yeah, and even if you keep on struggling through for the next few decades, kids aged 2-3 years old now will be in debt for 100k to go to university once the government copies the UK and introduces 10k/year+ fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

You're addressing this to families who make less than €50k a year but have fully paid for a house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

AltAccount wrote: »
    You're addressing this to families who make less than €50k a year but have fully paid for a house?

Not in particular and for that matter house dosen't have to be fully paid up I am just looking at the general struggle that these people have ( along with a lot of other people) and wondering what is it for what benifit will they have in 10,20,30 years time

Would a family earning a total of 50k being paying anything near a 50% rate of taxation? I somehow doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Not in particular and for that matter house dosen't have to be fully paid up I am just looking at the general struggle that these people have ( along with a lot of other people) and wondering what is it for what benifit will they have in 10,20,30 years time

Farmer Pudsey,You make a valid point,which it appears,modern Irelands leadership has overlooked.

The so-called austerity era appears to have been targeted almost entirely on the "Contributing Classes",which unsurprisingly is a rapidly dwindling demographic.

However,the reality of Irelands Taxation setup is stark.....we were,for decades,woefully undertaxed and fed an entirely unsustainable notion about Property Ownership (equally untaxed) being a pre-requisite for a happy and productive life.

Coincedental to this was an explosion in the numbers of individuals who,for a variety of reasons,were facilitated in withdrawing from the world of "Contributing" altogether.

Every Irish Minister For Finance for years began his Budget Speech by outlining to the house just how many po folks would be "removed from the Tax net"....this sort of stuff did'nt conform to any notion of reality,never mind economics,but was immensely popular from a Political perspective.

However once embarked upon this No Tax=Good Policy,succesive Governments could never bring themselves to alter it.
    Whats self-evident is that annually removing x numbers from the role of paying any Tax left the remainder with an ever increasing Tax burden to shoulder....

It was the sort of fiscal policy which could only come from an administration comprised of Professional Gamblers,Auctioneers,Developers,Publicans and "Promoters" of varying hues......God were'nt they great days altogether....:o

The sad thing is that we're still at it,apart from a brave few who point quivering fingers in the general direction of chateau despair....:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

What would be good would be a decent visualisation of the money which you get in the various roles.

Maybe pie charts breaking down earnings into tax, take home, rent/mortgage etc for:
    - single unemployed
    - single employed
    - married unemployed
    - married employed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

you make unemployment sound enjoyable, bearing in mind that that house tax, water rates, fuels , vat etc will hit the unemployed as well as those lucky enough to be in a job.
    I wonder are there thousands of people giving the two fingers to their employers so they can join the party lifestyle of €188 a week, not to mention why thousands are leaving the country when their can live it up on the social.

And thankfully I have a job for the time being anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

With the high personal rates of taxation top rate over 50% and charges such as household charge at present 100 euro and going to be around 500 euro in the medium term, water charges 250-300 euro, car fuel up 20% in last six months, College fees going up every year and no hope of a accomdation grant the treat to tax the childern allowance is it time for families earning less than 50,000 a year to jack the job and go on the dole queue

If they have paid for there house should they sell it enjoy the proceeds ( holidays, booze and what ever else take there fancy) so that when they jack the job they have to be housed by the local aurhority.

Also give up medical Insurance generally sponge off state

I'm just back working after 3 years on the dole-hell (20 years previous work) the job I'm at is not my life choice of work and the money is pretty low, but I've never been happier being back at the old slog and I nearly smile at the alarm clock at 5.30am, the dole and whatever alleged benefits is not the place to be..

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Would a family earning a total of 50k being paying anything near a 50% rate of taxation? I somehow doubt it.

I think a married couple can earn around €63,000 before they jump into the 40% paye bracket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

bryaner wrote: »
    I think a married couple can earn around €63,000 before they jump into the 40% paye bracket

And the 40% is a marginal rate their overall Paye rate is a weighted average of their earnings at the lower and higher rates.

• Advertisement

SBWife wrote: »
    And the 40% is a marginal rate their overall Paye rate is a weighted average of their earnings at the lower and higher rates.

Aye well worth going to work for..

SBWife wrote: »

When USC and PRSI are taken into account the taxation rates are near 30% and over 50% for after you tax credits are used and all tax credits are credited at lower band of 20%

When USC and PRSI are taken into account the taxation rates are near 30% and over 50% for after you tax credits are used and all tax credits are credited at lower band of 20%

PRSI was always paid and USC we will just have to get over with i guess, but its still better working than being on the dole for me anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

This is the reality of my situation...our household income is roughly 100K Gross...but over the last 18 months or so our disposable income has reduced by €1100 which nett of tax comes in at a rough 18% reduction.
    We have made changes..so that we live according to our means...but the kicker is not knowin whats coming down the line...and what getting to me is that Ive worked so hard building our business..going to college part time in the evenings and becoming more qualified and ensuring more success for our company that has doubled its employment levels over the last 6 months...yet the prospects for me and my family are probably not here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Just to add a bit of realism.

Many of the Social Welfare benefits discussed here are not available to anyone who simply jacks in their job. You will not Jobseekers Benefit. You will only receive Jobseekers Allowance on a means tested basis. The same for the medical card. Housing is allocated on a needs basis. Other benefits are at the discretion of the social welfare officer.

Other benefits, such as child allowance, are available on a universal basis.

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Just to add a bit of realism.

Many of the Social Welfare benefits discussed here are not available to anyone who simply jacks in their job. You will not Jobseekers Benefit. You will only receive Jobseekers Allowance on a means tested basis. The same for the medical card. Housing is allocated on a needs basis. Other benefits are at the discretion of the social welfare officer.

Other benefits, such as child allowance, are available on a universal basis.

We relise all that so we are ( not me in prticular) thinking liquidating all our assets litererly and then getting the state to look after us, Life a struggle it would be nice not to have a large diesel bill every week as well as a little time off and after all after 20 years it would be nice not to have to get up in the morning and summertime is coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The amount of tax an average person pays will be a lot lower than the high rate, and probably under the low rate though.

A single person earning €30,000 a year will pay €5,055 in Income tax + PRSI + USC. That's a rate of 16.8%

A single person earning €60,000 a year will pay €20,067 in Income tax + PRSI + USC. That's a rate of 33.4%

At €100,000 a year, their overall rate will be 41%, and at €200,000 it will be 47%. Unless you are earning almost a million a year, your overall tax rate will be under 50%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Life a struggle it would be nice not to have a large diesel bill every week as well as a little time off and after all after 20 years it would be nice not to have to get up in the morning and summertime is coming
    I think you've been reading a few too many tabloids.
    Yes, there might well be no diesel bill. But then there's no car, because you can't afford it on the dole long term. There is no free state to those who lose (or jack in) their jobs.
    Summertime? Personally I've found our winters more pleasant than our summers in recent years. And what would you do in the summer - on €180 odd, and that's not "spending money". That's ALL of your money.

Aside from that, lets put a couple of number on it.
    Single person earning €45k: take home = €33,000 (that's €634 per week)
    Single person on the JSA: take home = €9,776k (that's €188 per week)

That's €23,000 worth of "benefits" required every year before it even breaks even to be more beneficial on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

geeman wrote: »
    Transportation for work: 2k
    Rent: 5k
    Medical Bills: ??

Depending on how much you make, you might actually be better off on the dole, you'd certainly have less stress in your life....
    Ok, lets revise my earlier earnings of €45k down to €30k:

Single person earning €30k: take home = €25,000 (that's €480 per week)

That still leaves a difference of €15k of benefits before you break even.

Lets take your estimates of €2k and €5k. We are left with an extra €7k per year. That's €135 per week. When your only income is aprox €180 per week, that extra €135 per week is actually quite alot.
    My point is, I really don't see how the idea can make sense to someone financially. The mental implications of not working are an entire matter altogether.

Also, this country has free medical care (excluding gp visits).

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    The amount of tax an average person pays will be a lot lower than the high rate, and probably under the low rate though.

A single person earning €30,000 a year will pay €5,055 in Income tax + PRSI + USC. That's a rate of 16.8%

A single person earning €60,000 a year will pay €20,067 in Income tax + PRSI + USC. That's a rate of 33.4%

At €100,000 a year, their overall rate will be 41%, and at €200,000 it will be 47%. Unless you are earning almost a million a year, your overall tax rate will be under 50%

You are averageing total tax take, after 50,000 I will be paying nearly 50% of all the money I am earning to the government if I liquidate all my assets I have three kids to send to 3rd level at 50,000 no grant. On unemployment grant 6100 and no regristration fee 2250 other childern's school will feel sorry for me so I will not have to contribute to it for general school costs also will not be charged for school exams get back to school allowances and if government decide to tax Child Allowance i still get it, free Medical card looking back over last 3 years doctor bills and prescriptions average 427 euro so adding all about 10000 euro if CA get taxed it probally cost 1000 euro. I also attend 7-8 GAA matches a year so I will get the reduced entry rate as well as to other events that off these kind of discounts

Our car is paid for a 2008 corolla diesel so low tax and maintenance and I will have time to do alot of the maintenance myself and i will also save at least 2500 in car fuel costs. Will have time to cut a bit of timber and save a bit of turf so will save 700-1000 on winter fuel bill I like to do a bit of fishing and shooting so a couple of free dinners a week I will have plenty of time to go for walks and live a healty stress free life.

So now will have nearly 400 euro from the state ever weekand over 15000 of my bill eliminated that is over 35,000 a year and as well as that I eliminate the chance of losing CA if they tax it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭naoise80

You are averageing total tax take, after 50,000 I will be paying nearly 50% of all the money I am earning to the government if I liquidate all my assets I have three kids to send to 3rd level at 50,000 no grant. On unemployment grant 6100 and no regristration fee 2250 other childern's school will feel sorry for me so I will not have to contribute to it for general school costs also will not be charged for school exams get back to school allowances and if government decide to tax Child Allowance i still get it, free Medical card looking back over last 3 years doctor bills and prescriptions average 427 euro so adding all about 10000 euro if CA get taxed it probally cost 1000 euro. I also attend 7-8 GAA matches a year so I will get the reduced entry rate as well as to other events that off these kind of discounts

Our car is paid for a 2008 corolla diesel so low tax and maintenance and I will have time to do alot of the maintenance myself and i will also save at least 2500 in car fuel costs. Will have time to cut a bit of timber and save a bit of turf so will save 700-1000 on winter fuel bill I like to do a bit of fishing and shooting so a couple of free dinners a week I will have plenty of time to go for walks and live a healty stress free life.

So now will have nearly 400 euro from the state ever weekand over 15000 of my bill eliminated that is over 35,000 a year and as well as that I eliminate the chance of losing CA if they tax it.

Who is this "state" you keep talking about that is going to look after you and your family, just because you are too lazy to take on that responsibility?

It is me and all the other taxpayers.

Kop yourself on and don't insult me with your leeching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

OP

You should definately jack in the job.

If anything it will provide an education in appreciating what you once had, because you clearly live in cloud cookoo land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Do you actually spend 427 a month on doctors and prescriptions?

Cool Mo D wrote: »

Net pay on 100k private sector is 59k (41%) or public sector 51k (49%).

For numbers around 30k, tax in Ireland is still way lower than it needs to be to pay for services like healthcare. Someone on 30k in Germany would be paying 10-11% every month for healthcare, not optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

n900guy wrote: »
    [
    Net pay on 100k private sector is 59k (41%) or public sector 51k (49%).

For numbers around 30k, tax in Ireland is still way lower than it needs to be to pay for services like healthcare. Someone on 30k in Germany would be paying 10-11% every month for healthcare, not optional.

It's considerably higher than that.. 41% doesn't kick in until just under €42K for a married person (it's 20% below that), and you also have considerable tax credits to subtract before you even begin to pay tax at 20%..

The reality is that a married person on €100K will pay about 25-30K direct paye tax (plus USC)..

Welease wrote: »
    It's considerably higher than that.. 41% doesn't kick in until just under €42K for a married person (it's 20% below that), and you also have considerable tax credits to subtract before you even begin to pay tax at 20%..

The reality is that a married person on €100K will pay about 25-30K direct paye tax (plus USC)..

It includes credits, check www.taxcalc.eu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

n900guy wrote: »
    It includes credits, check www.taxcalc.eu.

Ahh ok.. we were talking about different elements..

I mistakenly assumed your response to Cool Mo D was looking at the PAYE income tax aspect only which were the numbers he was using.. not including the USC, PRSI which you used etc..

Your 41% calc is correct when looking at the total gross minus government taxes/levies pay for a single person.

Do you actually spend 427 a month on doctors and prescriptions?
    No this is the average over the last three years that we paid as a family in any year of doctor and medicine costs that if I was unemployed would be paid by a medical card.

I feel very upset over being called a leech I am just looking at the option's of myself and my wife of leaving the Rat Race

With our kids now starting 3rd level I feel I will be working for nothing I know that my employer avails of 3rd level grants for his kids he drives a 2011 Mercedes even though he has two in 3rd level and still gets the fees paid for his kids and full rate grant for one of his childern.

Even if I take on another job at the weekends nearly half the money is taken in USC and Tax so if he can get grant aided why should'nt I

I have 20 days holidays in the year and my wife the same however her employer makes her take 3 weeks in June and I have to take mine in August and she has to keep the 3 days for Christmas and so has only 2 other days so we have not had a holiday togeather for 10 years. If we go on holidays with the Kids only one or the other can go

We now see this as catching up time a couple of our friends have retires a year ago and seem to have a nice lifestyle Brien from Offaly, Dermot from Louth and John from South Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

In fairness things are hard at the moment... However growing up in the 70's i think things were worse then...
    Most people don't want to just sit back and take handouts if they have another option... A job will still pay more than being on the scratcher,(you may need FIS) and if your lucky you may enjoy earning it too...

Also what example does it give if kids see you just giving up on life and society and intentionally making yourself unemployed...

Things ARE hard but it's all relative, it's not like we're living the life of those in 3rd world countries...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

cast_iron wrote: »
    I think you've been reading a few too many tabloids.
    Yes, there might well be no diesel bill. But then there's no car, because you can't afford it on the dole long term.
    Not true, ive had several arguments here from those on welfare regarding a car and apparantly its a must have on welfare, who's going to drive the kids to school?

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Not true, ive had several arguments here from those on welfare regarding a car and apparantly its a must have on welfare, who's going to drive the kids to school?
    I can confirm. I personally know a married couple with one child, both parents on welfare (can't say exactly which benefits but neither works and they are in receipt of rent supplement) and they can afford to run a car. They don't even need it really: the kid walks to school and there's good public transport in the area-SuperValu within walking distance and bigger shops are a bus journey away (5 mins on the bus to Lidl/Dunnes etc.).

I think the OP's posts are mostly tongue in cheek tbh and I see what he's getting at. To be honest, lower earners are going to have to start paying more direct taxes and in order to do this, welfare will need a significant reduction. It simply can't be more attractive (financially) to be on benefits than in the lowest paying jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

We relise all that so we are ( not me in prticular) thinking liquidating all our assets litererly and then getting the state to look after us, Life a struggle it would be nice not to have a large diesel bill every week as well as a little time off and after all after 20 years it would be nice not to have to get up in the morning and summertime is coming

Simply liquidating your assets will not then result in the State 'looking after you'. Yes, you will have sold off your illiquid assets such as your house but you will have the equivalent in cash so you are no less well off. If you plan to cash in your wealth, blow it and then look for the State to support you well don't just sit around discussing it. No-ones stopping you - off you go and good luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Ok I thought u were actually serious there for a minute . Then I see that the pyjama girls were on tv . Ya give up the job farmer pudsy ?? Cause u only hear the tabloid stories about our benefit action .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I also think the OP's comments are a bit tongue in cheek, most people will work if given the opportunity, in fact most people on SW are desperate to get back to work. Our welfare system creates poverty traps however, a family with children on SW will be only marginally better off by taking up low paid employment, and would lose rent supplement etc. Bit OT maybe but some also have the option of drawing SW and making a significant amount of extra cash through nixers, the black economy is thriving and revenue don't have the resources to crack down on it in any meaningful way. I have a friend who bought a house recently that needed doing up, he has saved a fortune by getting practcally all the work done on a cash in hand basis, and who could blame him as he is struggling with the cost of putting a roof over his head. This is replicated in every sector where cash payments are the norm, from teachers doing grinds to the motor industry and entertainers. €188 a week topped up with a couple of hundred through nixers and your rent paid by the state wouldn't be a bad life at all. Maybe i'm overstating the problem but it certainly seems to be widespread where I am coming from. Add to this the loss of tax revenue when genuine operators are priced out of these jobs and you have a serious issue. One way to address it is to make it a bit easier to sign off the dole for a few days to work and get back into the system immediately rather than having to apply again and wait weeks. I remember Joan Burton going on about this some time ago, I wonder if this has been addressed at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

My pay is raped by 49%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭naoise80

I feel very upset over being called a leech I am just looking at the option's of myself and my wife of leaving the Rat Race

What would you call someone who voluntarily decides that they won't provide for themselves or their family, yet expect others to do it for them.

You haven't answered the question as to who the "state" that will provide all this free money is.

It's good that you feel upset at being called a leech; it might make you think twice about what you are contemplating.

Others have said that they think your OP was a little tongue in ckeek, but the fact that you started the thread in this forum leads me to believe you are serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭fliball123

naoise80 wrote: »
    What would you call someone who voluntarily decides that they won't provide for themselves or their family, yet expect others to do it for them.

You haven't answered the question as to who the "state" that will provide all this free money is.

It's good that you feel upset at being called a leech; it might make you think twice about what you are contemplating.

Others have said that they think your OP was a little tongue in ckeek, but the fact that you started the thread in this forum leads me to believe you are serious.

I think the OP is correct if a little bit of a messer..having said that he has quite rightly pointed out the levels of people depending on an over burdened tax payer..

I mean look at the states for an example.

If a girl has a kid the father is chased for maintenance not the tax payer
    If a person loses their job the state pays social welfare for 6 months..Adequete time to find a new job or move on.
    If a bank collapses the bondholders and customers are effected and asked to take a cut in what is owed..Not supported by the tax payer..

We need to change to this model if we are to survive..when more than half of our tax is being paid for social welfare 21 billion there is a huge problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

fliball123 wrote: »
    I think the OP is correct if a little bit of a messer..having said that he has quite rightly pointed out the levels of people depending on an over burdened tax payer..

I mean look at the states for an example.

If a girl has a kid the father is chased for maintenance not the tax payer
    If a person loses their job the state pays social welfare for 6 months..Adequete time to find a new job or move on.
    If a bank collapses the bondholders and customers are effected and asked to take a cut in what is owed..Not supported by the tax payer..

We need to change to this model if we are to survive..when more than half of our tax is being paid for social welfare 21 billion there is a huge problem

Sweet jasus, I hope your not suggesting we follow the US model :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Yeah, the US is a great model to follow alright. They sure know how it should be done, its an impeccable record. :rolleyes:

Pity we don't have any large storm drains or underground subways to house a percentage of the population.

Sure you might ask why would we even need that? And you would be right....lets just get some chairs, hook them up to the nation's power grid.

The rich get richer and well .......the poor get fried.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

stoneill wrote: »
    My pay is raped by 49%.

Do you mean that PAYE/PRSI/USC deductions are totalling 49% of your gross pay?
    An income of in the region of 200k or more would be required to have a deductions of this size.

Or are you including some other what could be loosely called non-tax deductions as well? Health Insurance, Pension Contribution or other?

Its just that some people have a habit of exaggerating when it comes to these issues. As an earlier poster pointed out the direct tax burden on the lower to avg paid is still quite low in this country.
    Older people in particular never tire of telling us how they paid "60 pence in the pound" back in the seventies and eighties conveniently ignoring the significant tax free allowance at the time.
    I know a few who have managed convinced themselves that they paid sixty percent of their entire income in tax when they never paid anything like that amount.

• Advertisement

I think this thread needs a change of pace..

OP, I am now fully behind you 'jacking in the job' and going on the Dole. Please post regular updates.

stoneill wrote: »
    My pay is raped by 49%.

Wow, you're paying ~24.5k in direct taxes while only earning a combined household income of 50k. Hats off to you, sir. A true liar patriot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Wow, you're paying ~24.5k in direct taxes while only earning a combined household income of 50k. Hats off to you, sir. A true liar patriot!
    on 50 grand you have €35,133 take home after income tax and prsi according to the deloitte tax calculator.

thats nowhere near 50%, its only 29.7% actually!

on 50 grand you have €35,133 take home after income tax and prsi according to the deloitte tax calculator.

thats nowhere near 50%, its only 29.7% actually!

Remember, it's a 50k combined household income we're talking about - so let's say 25/25 or 30/20 or 40/10 :)

They wouldn't be paying anything near even 29.7%.

stackerman wrote: »
    Sweet jasus, I hope your not suggesting we follow the US model :eek:

Maybe so but the model where people think that they are owed a living or entitled to money for nothing cant continue either and borrowing to pay for it cant continue either...Something has to give...

Remember, it's a 50k combined household income we're talking about - so let's say 25/25 or 30/20 or 40/10 :)

They wouldn't be paying anything near even 29.7%.

Actually it is 18/33 two cars a 2008 Corolla and a 1998 Corolla that needs replacing if we both stay working we have three kids all at 2nd level eldest will be going to college this year with the economy the way it is it will be impossible for him to get a part time job I am calculating that we might under the present grant set up get about half the student contribution paid.

However we are under huge financial strain just outside the limit for any state support and in 2013 our second will start college by my calculation while we have two in college we will only get the Student contribution paid in any year so if if we stay in work we calculate that we can only afford to send one to College of our two eldest kids. Even though we have worked hard all our life, I have been in full time working since I was sixteen and neither of us had a chance at 3rd level education and do not want to deny our children this choice.

The only support we have ever got from the state is the CA and have always paid our taxes and we have modest savings which will not suffice but to put one through College. We look around and see the hugh pension paid out to ex politicians and retired high level civil servents while when we come to retire we will have a modest state old age pension and do not wanr the same for our kids which will happen if we stay in employment and the last little extra we were trying to hold onto for our old age VHI plan A we will have to give up anyway now one way or the other

PS. I detest being call a leech

Actually it is 18/33 two cars a 2008 Corolla and a 1998 Corolla that needs replacing if we both stay working we have three kids all at 2nd level eldest will be going to college this year with the economy the way it is it will be impossible for him to get a part time job I am calculating that we might under the present grant set up get about half the student contribution paid.

However we are under huge financial strain just outside the limit for any state support and in 2013 our second will start college by my calculation while we have two in college we will only get the Student contribution paid in any year so if if we stay in work we calculate that we can only afford to send one to College of our two eldest kids. Even though we have worked hard all our life, I have been in full time working since I was sixteen and neither of us had a chance at 3rd level education and do not want to deny our children this choice.

The only support we have ever got from the state is the CA and have always paid our taxes and we have modest savings which will not suffice but to put one through College. We look around and see the hugh pension paid out to ex politicians and retired high level civil servents while when we come to retire we will have a modest state old age pension and do not wanr the same for our kids which will happen if we stay in employment and the last little extra we were trying to hold onto for our old age VHI plan A we will have to give up anyway now one way or the other

PS. I detest being call a leech

Farmer Pudsey, you came into the thread blaming high rates of personal taxation for all of your woes. My point still stands that you pay hardly any tax. (relatively)

I honestly sympathize with your situation, but in all fairness there are plenty of other avenues to pursue regarding those. The student finances section of boards would be a great place to start.

Farmer Pudsey, you came into the thread blaming high rates of personal taxation for all of your woes. My point still stands that you pay hardly any tax. (relatively)

I honestly sympathize with your situation, but in all fairness there are plenty of other avenues to pursue regarding those. The student finances section of boards would be a great place to start.

Sorry but we are above the average for paying taxes as present..a recent CSO survey has confirmed this...So Farmer Pudsey is infact correct that high rates of personal taxation is his woe as it is for the majority of the low to middle income earners

Sorry but we are above the average for paying taxes as present..a recent CSO survey has confirmed this...So Farmer Pudsey is infact correct that high rates of personal taxation is his woe as it is for the majority of the low to middle income earners

Facts and figures, please.

Here's a graph of percentage income paid as tax from 2009:

taxpaid.png

Facts and figures, please.

Here's a graph of percentage income paid as tax from 2009:

taxpaid.png

Good man thats a post about 2009 and only showing Icome tax why not all taxes we pay.. now how much more are we paing in income tax, USC not to mention the new household tax or the indirect taxes such as carbon , VAT etc...since 2009

The fact is the there is Myth going around that Ireland is a low tax country..

You think about a person going to work for 1 day.

They wake up in bed .... VAT on the bed, pillows, sheets etc

They lock their house up VAT, stamp duty, household tax, water charges (to come later)

They go down have breakie toast and tea .... VAT on electy

They jump in their car ..VAT on car, road tax, VAT on petrol, Carbon tax on petrol not to mention tolls

They get to work .... Tax on their car spot

They work .... VAT, USC PRSI on ever hour they work

They buy a meal for lunch . VAT on the meal

They go back to work - See above
    They drive back home - See above
    They sit down have some dinner more vat on the electy for using the cooker
    Watch TV more VAT on elecy

So you tell me why the hell would this person unless they are getting an incredibly high wage bother getting up out of the bed the next day?

• Advertisement
Advertisement