Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household charge.... March deadline

Options
  • 11-03-2012 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

I am just really looking to get your feedback on the household charge.. As we all know, it is due to be paid by the end of the month and if I heard correctly on the radio today, that only 12% of households have paid..... And I believe they are going to figure out who had paid and who has not by the utility providers

What if we dont pay, realistically what can the government do.... Will they charge everyone the late payment fee or will the household charge be disbanded?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

There is no getting away with this charge, it will be enforced. We are billions in debt, what are you going to do when we have full blown property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭NJS007

barrackali wrote: »
    There is no getting away with this charge, it will be enforced. We are billions in debt, what are you going to do when we have full blown property tax.

Unfortunately, I do realise that it needs to be paid and the uk haver bren paying the poll tax for years, but do you think you should post it before the deadline or not?

NJS007 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I do realise that it needs to be paid and the uk haver bren paying the poll tax for years, but do you think you should post it before the deadline or not?

You should post it if you want to avoid fines/hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 zumi

Im one of the 88% who hasn't paid and I never will.
    Im educated and I pay my taxes.
    This tax is wrong wrong wrong.
    I'll pass away someday long from now knowing we fought this and won.
    Don't register don't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

I am just really looking to get your feedback on the household charge.. As we all know, it is due to be paid by the end of the month and if I heard correctly on the radio today, that only 12% of households have paid..... And I believe they are going to figure out who had paid and who has not by the utility providers

What if we dont pay, realistically what can the government do.... Will they charge everyone the late payment fee or will the household charge be disbanded?

Despite Councillor Derek Mitchell's totalitarian calls for attachment to wages, the Government have NO such powers currently. Do not pay this charge and they will not pursue. Why? the last thing the Govt want is people on the streets over fines/court cases. Mass non-payment will be the majority showing they do not accept the charge, an acceptance that is required for it to be enforceable.

Michael Noonan said last night that Anglo bonholders will be paid €46bn in full, that is money that CAN be held back without IMF sanction. That is the answer to the supporters of this capitualtion to EU bankers when they ask you how the deficit can be funded.

We pay management fees from €300 to €1,500 and get zero services from the local authority. They even charged Charlesland residents €7000 for gritting the roundabout on the dual carriageway in Jan/Feb 2011!

No way I am paying this charge, absolutely not.

• Advertisement

Don't pay and see the consequences. I personally welcome annual property taxation, this is what is needed to prevent fools from creating another speculator led property boom.

This kind of progressive taxation is normal in other E.U countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Don't pay and see the consequences. I personally welcome annual property taxation, this is what is needed to prevent fools from creating another speculator led property boom.

There won't be a property boom here for a long time , why would anyone ever want to buy here for next 20 years , much better to rent while on housing list , this isn't progressive tax and I don't buy the everywhere else line that they are throwing around
    Imagine I will have to pay it eventually as we're broke but gonna wait 12 months anyway as it's a small fine to retain my dignity.

rasper wrote: »
    There won't be a property boom here for a long time , why would anyone ever want to buy here for next 20 years , much better to rent while on housing list , this isn't progressive tax and I don't buy the everywhere else line that they are throwing around
    Imagine I will have to pay it eventually as we're broke but gonna wait 12 months anyway as it's a small fine to retain my dignity.

It is a small fine atm but the gov are obliged to bring in this charge under the terms of the EU-IMF deal....there can be no wishing it away. Regarding your point on there being no property boom for the next twenty years........no more property booms are acceptable...not even in 20 years. Property is what got us in the hole we are in, annual property taxation will keep speculation to a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭NJS007

Honestly! wrote: »

Despite Councillor Derek Mitchell's totalitarian calls for attachment to wages, the Government have NO such powers currently. Do not pay this charge and they will not pursue. Why? the last thing the Govt want is people on the streets over fines/court cases. Mass non-payment will be the majority showing they do not accept the charge, an acceptance that is required for it to be enforceable.

Michael Noonan said last night that Anglo bonholders will be paid €46bn in full, that is money that CAN be held back without IMF sanction. That is the answer to the supporters of this capitualtion to EU bankers when they ask you how the deficit can be funded.

We pay management fees from €300 to €1,500 and get zero services from the local authority. They even charged Charlesland residents €7000 for gritting the roundabout on the dual carriageway in Jan/Feb 2011!

No way I am paying this charge, absolutely not.
    Yeah I think that you are right and I dont think I will be paying either until they come a knockin....

& if I remember it correctly the fine is only €20 so the way I see it is that €100 is better off in my pocket for as long as possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 zumi

The people will have their say and the scaremongering won't work. We are tired of being ignored, trampled on and we are pushing back and we will win.
    If the government continues to push this it will be their downfall.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXIIieaQf-w

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Maggie the Kat

I can afford to pay the charge but on principle i refuse too. for the simple reason workers here are s highly taxed and yet we do not have first class services here. in some instances we have none. Ifr we had amazing services here like in places like Sweden i would be happy paying mopre taxes and this charge. But we have nothing. Its time for the people to wake up and refuse to pay this charge. Make a stand now. This charge is going to bailout tha banks and not on services. And its our children who will be paying it off for the next 30 or so years.
    My father was recently ill, and does not have health cover. He was put on a waiting list and got an appointment dated June 2014. I would never leave him sick and scared. So i paid 250 Euro to get him seen privately. 250 euro and his appointment was changed to the following week.... its a joke. his app lasted all of 10 minutes. its a scandal. Dont even get me started on the insane prices of going to the dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

http://nohouseholdtax.org/
    Dont forget folks you can join the campaign here,,your 5euro will go to paying the expenses of the campaign for such things as Printing,maning the helpline,and towards a legal challenge should the case arise,,,remember if the goverment do persist with this and fineing people and bringing them to court,you will not be alone on the day,,there will be mass demonstrations outside the courthouses...the only way to beat this unfair tax is by Mass Non registeration,People Power......

Remember Dont Register,Dont Pay......Dont be bullied into paying for the greed of bankers and gambeling bondholders..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The financial consequences of not paying are pretty severe. The fines don't end at 20 euros, they keep mounting up. You will have to pay, including fines, anyway when the house is sold.

If you are going to get involved in a protest, be sure that you can either afford to pay the fines and any legal fees if they do decide to collect before you sell, or you can get the protest organizers to agree to pay your costs.

The financial consequences of not paying are pretty severe. The fines don't end at 20 euros, they keep mounting up. You will have to pay, including fines, anyway when the house is sold.

If you are going to get involved in a protest, be sure that you can either afford to pay the fines and any legal fees if they do decide to collect before you sell, or you can get the protest organizers to agree to pay your costs.

Protest organisers wont commit to paying the fine for anybody,why would they,,The protest organisers as you call them are only adviseing people on what to do,,they are not telling them what to do,unlike the goverment...The Dont Pay campaign are well aware the ordinary people are smart and intelligent enough to make up there own mind on this issue and decide for themselves on wheather to pay this unfair tax or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If someone is advising you to break the law, and they are not willing to take the responsibility for their advice, you need to consider carefully what their agenda is and whether you can afford to run up a bill in order for them to further their own ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

As it was in part an excess of money from property tax that predominantly led to massive uncontrolled growth and a boom I'm not sure how you can reasn further property taxation can prevent a boom?

It was an unregulated market, politics in bed with business believing that they could not only beat God at his own game but become him and surpass him and sheer greed that led us to the mess we are in (as well as whole host of other factors.) We valued our things much more than people.

The inefficiencies and waste and our corrupt systems that refuse to change are still in place today. In that regard nothing can ultimatley change until we change that FIRST and foremost.

If someone is advising you to break the law, and they are not willing to take the responsibility for their advice, you need to consider carefully what their agenda is and whether you can afford to run up a bill in order for them to further their own ends.

If someone advises you to jump into a burning building and you do it,is that person responsible for the outcome..No there not...at the end of the day there is individual responsibility on what a individual does and they take the consequences based on there decision taken...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

OP by all means don't pay the tax if you don't want to.

BUT be prepared to pay the fines!

I paid the charge yesterday, feel all the better for it.

100e is nothing compared to what is down the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The government ultimately don't need to collect too hard. When houses are sold or passed on in probate, the transaction won't complete without the tax and fines being paid... in full. Much better for the government to wait and let the fines accumulate and let time just bring the tax to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

zumi wrote: »
    Im one of the 88% who hasn't paid and I never will.
    Im educated and I pay my taxes.
    This tax is wrong wrong wrong.
    I'll pass away someday long from now knowing we fought this and won.
    Don't register don't pay.

I agree with this. If we pay 100 now you can be almost guaranteed it will be 1000 next year. They cant put everyone in jail. Take a stand and stop being the typical Irish who roll over and take any crap this government throws at us.

This tax is not a tax like the poll tax in the UK - at least they see the benefits of it (bins, common areas being maintained by council etc). We wont see any benefit from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

We won't be paying. Paid a huge amount of stamp duty in 2004 and that, if applied to this ridiculous tax, should leave us another (at least) 15 years household tax free. Why aren't they off-setting the huge amounts of stamp duty to home-owning taxpayers? Are they just going to milk more funds out of us? I'd rather go to jail at this point. Why not charge all the bankers and builders and politicians who got us into this mess a 75% tax on all their savings and assets and that should allow us some breathing space?

I totally agree with alibaba12, what do we really get for paying this tax? We will still have to pay for our bins and many of us already pay a residents fee for the upkeep of our estates, so what exactly is this for? Stand together and DO NOT PAY!

RTE news just mentioned 85% of households haven't paid and someone commented that if a million households refrain from paying that the government will have no choice but to back down on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

ebixa82 wrote: »
    100e is nothing compared to what is down the road!

Another good reason not to pay the home tax.
    This problem needs to be nipped in the bud before it gets out of control.
    Don't register, don't pay!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

No definitely wont be disbanded the Household charge will remain against your property until paid, this is going to be replaced by the Property tax which will be calculated using site valuations and will probably be collected in a different way to the household charge as self declaration hasnt worked for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I paid. I am not happy with this charge, and the fact that my small one bed is paying the same as a huge mansion, but I live abroad and am renting the flat out and I don't want any hassle with the revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

We bought our place in 2007 and are one of the lucky (or very unlucky one's) who are entitle to decent mortgage interest relief. So I am not going to jeopardise that by not paying 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

3DataModem wrote: »
    The government ultimately don't need to collect too hard. When houses are sold or passed on in probate, the transaction won't complete without the tax and fines being paid... in full. Much better for the government to wait and let the fines accumulate and let time just bring the tax to them.

I won't go along with that. At the next election the opposition will want to get into power which is natural. A great vote winner would the abolising of this tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

do they also pay stamp duty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

We bought our place in 2007 and are one of the lucky (or very unlucky one's) who are entitle to decent mortgage interest relief. So I am not going to jeopardise that by not paying 100.

Why would MIS be in jeopardy from a non paying of a household charge? :confused:
    Both of which operate through completely separate entities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PatA

do they also pay stamp duty ?

Yes, they do - and it's 3% on houses £250000 to £500000, so not a small sum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

Not paying here.

I just opened an invoice for annual management fees of €1600. I pay for lights, cleaning, bins, grass cutting, insurance, water pumps and on and on to keep our development just about functioning.

We asked the local council to take in charge the common areas of the estate and were told basically not a chance.

I get no tax relief or benefit for paying to maintain my estate as opposed to the public purse maintaining it. Nor am I arguing for any relief. But given that is the case I cannot see the justification for paying an additional property charge of any amount.

Advertisement