Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household charge.... March deadline

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

The financial consequences of not paying are pretty severe. The fines don't end at 20 euros, they keep mounting up. You will have to pay, including fines, anyway when the house is sold.

If you are going to get involved in a protest, be sure that you can either afford to pay the fines and any legal fees if they do decide to collect before you sell, or you can get the protest organizers to agree to pay your costs.

i take it by your post that you are a spokesperson for long phil, i live near jp mcmanus, he has to pay the same as me, i live near a council estate, but far away enough to enjoy life, the residents of the council estate do not have to pay, to mcmanus the hundred is not even chicken feed, what will i get for the hundred if i pay it zilch, i pay for water, i pay for bin collection, i have no street lighting, the roadway has not seen a council repair crew in ten years, you should be on to all officials to take a salary cut, then an expenses cut, as well as unvouched expenses they have a laundry allowance, telefone allowance, two yes two mobiles per year they can buy, then i am expected to survive on 193 euro per week, my income has been chopped a lot in recent years, as i cannot walk each and every chore requires someone to come in and do them, this costs money, last week i had to get my garden done, 100 euro the guy charged from 9.30am to 4.30pm. the interns should be working for the likes of me where they would come across a wide range of issues and have to learn to over come them this would give them better life skills than packing shelves for tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

3DataModem wrote: »
    The government ultimately don't need to collect too hard. When houses are sold or passed on in probate, the transaction won't complete without the tax and fines being paid... in full. Much better for the government to wait and let the fines accumulate and let time just bring the tax to them.

I won't go along with that. At the next election the opposition will want to get into power which is natural. A great vote winner would the abolising of this tax.

Quite possibly correct.

But you can be sure that it won't be retrospective. Tax doesn't work like that. If you dodge a tax that is later abolished, you are still liable.

The govt will collect at time of transfer, mark my words. Solicitors won't be able to close a conveyance without discharging any tax liability, same way they can't do it currently for Stamp Duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭NJS007

NJS007 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I do realise that it needs to be paid and the uk haver bren paying the poll tax for years, but do you think you should post it before the deadline or not?

do they also pay stamp duty ?
    Don't know if they do or dont....
    Interesting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

We haven't paid it yet- bought our house in May 2010.
    We could afford it but i'm worried that if we pay it will just keeping going up and up.
    As an aside part of the reason I don't want to pay this is because I had to pay out €12k from my savings last year for CAT on the taxman on a house I inherited a one fifth share of. The house is still on the market but the tax I paid was based on the value of the house in 2009- my share was valued at €49k in 2009 - but now I will be lucky now to get back the tax amount I paid.
    In other other words I just feel like I've paid enough tax and want to be left alone- never gonna happen though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gingermagic

Stamp duty is also paid in the UK. Poll tax is not paid as they done away with it after the riots years ago. Then then renamed it to council tax and everyone has to pay this unless on benefits. Water rates and Council Tax are 2 of the houshold charges that everyone is supposed to pay no choice or its fine and prison....not so much now as there are no spaces in the prisons. However what they do do....and what the Irish gov will probably do is those who are on benefits and fail to pay, they take the money directly out of your benefits, you have no choice, the council and water rates companies can apply directly to the benefits agency and request a deduction in payments and you don't have a choice in the matter....

The one thing that the Irish Gov cannot do is imprison everyone who refuses to pay, but they will make someone pay for it.......When a Government lies consistently and then make demands of its people, this is what happens. Confusion disent and distrust.........

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭Readyhed

NJS007 wrote: »
    I am just really looking to get your feedback on the household charge.. As we all know, it is due to be paid by the end of the month and if I heard correctly on the radio today, that only 12% of households have paid...

The government have repeatedly told that that a large number of properties are exempt from the tax ?? I know this is spin but On Vincent Browne last night someone made a very good point:

Anyone who is exempt still has to register to get the exemption. It seems reasonable that most people who are exempt will register so a good proportion of the 12% would be made up of these. The real percentage of people who have PAID might be substantially lower.

I really hope Irish People will walk the walk on this one as opposed to talking the talk as we have done in the past.

The answer to the question - what can they do? is a no brainer.

If it ends up a small minority the will pursue them like self rightious wild dogs.

If it ends up a majority they will worm their way out and try to save face.

Every politician knows that he cannot ignore the will of the people. They can cast doubt on opinion polls but they cannot cast doubt on a majority of people defying their bad law.

The only unknown is how many people will hold firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

do they also pay stamp duty ?

Yes. Not at the rates we paid in the boom but I believe its now actually higher for most houses.

barrackali wrote: »
    This kind of progressive taxation is normal in other E.U countries.

Whats also normal in other countries is no TV licence. Free bins "every day" Free medical.

Whats also normal in other countries is no TV licence. Free bins "every day" Free medical.

Most countries in Europe have a TV licence - often far higher than in Ireland and in the case of Germany you need a radio licence for each car also; require you to pay proper market rates for your bins (and fine you for not properly seperating the contents / washing recyclables); and "free" healthcare is funded by compulsary insurance that's FAR higher than PRSI is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

What gets me is the governments stance on this. Do they not realise they are there FOR the people of Ireland.
    If the (majority of) people in Ireland do not want this levy/Tax then it should not go in.
    They work for US not the other way round!

Edit - I believe we need a property Tax - but it needs to be brought in properly and they need to sort out the expenditure BEFORE more taxes.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Most countries in Europe have a TV licence - often far higher than in Ireland and in the case of Germany you need a radio licence for each car also; require you to pay proper market rates for your bins (and fine you for not properly seperating the contents / washing recyclables); and "free" healthcare is funded by compulsary insurance that's FAR higher than PRSI is here.

I was living in spain and no TV licence is required. Bins were collected every day. Air-conditioning was subsidized. There is the population factor to take into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Not paying. Maybe all the politicians that have flown all over the world for St. Patricks day could have a collection in the cities they're visiting to make up those of us whom refuse to pay.

I was living in spain and no TV licence is required. Bins were collected every day. Air-conditioning was subsidized. There is the population factor to take into consideration.

Spain is not "most countries in Europe". Its also not the most solvent country to be comparing ourselves to.

They don't have a TV licence because they tax the commercial broadcasters directly for it instead. We aren't big enough to support enough commercial broadcasters for that to be possible.

Bins need to be collected more often in hot environments, ditto airconditioning (although I have no idea what you mean by "subsidised").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gingermagic

Bins do need to be collected, and it used to be the job of the council, now that it is private firms, the government will have to get people to pay as they have probably made guarantees to the owners of these now very big business of collecting bins. And you guys are the one that are going to have to fulfill that.

I will remind you that when the "council tax" first came in it was very cheap.....now look

This link deal with Scotland...
    http://www.fairview-property.com/tenants/council_tax_bands/

No much different for the rest of the UK

Now it is minimum £95.00 per month not year (which is 115 euro).....
    I can catergorically guarantee that you household charge will go up and Quickly.....

If Irish citizens sleep walk into this one.....there will be no going back:(

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Politicians will be begging us to pass the fiscal treaty in a few months , which is quiet likely to fail , I for one think thAt we may be better off with no access to the eu poisonous funds to pay back their banks , let the house of cards fall and the political gravy train derail, may be worse off short term but may be the only way Ireland can reform it's deeply rooted corruption of politicians , unions , ibec, etc

Bins do need to be collected, and it used to be the job of the council, now that it is private firms, the government will have to get people to pay as they have probably made guarantees to the owners of these now very big business of collecting bins. And you guys are the one that are going to have to fulfill that.

I will remind you that when the "council tax" first came in it was very cheap.....now look

This link deal with Scotland...
    http://www.fairview-property.com/tenants/council_tax_bands/

No much different for the rest of the UK

Now it is minimum £95.00 per month not year (which is 115 euro).....
    I can catergorically guarantee that you household charge will go up and Quickly.....

If Irish citizens sleep walk into this one.....there will be no going back:(

I don't think there's anyone who ISN'T expecting the property tax to be higher across the board when its introduced.

Advertisement