Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on what path to take in computing needed please.

Options
  • 11-03-2012 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Was just looking for a bit of advice on what path to take in a career change. Well the story is I'm 32, have been working in the construction industry most of my life, although I'm lucky to still have a job I feel that its time for a change as there must be more to life than near enough minimum wage and no prospects. I've always had an interest in computers and technology so I would like to learn a new skill and trade in this. I have a fairly decent knowledge and understanding on computer maintenance and upgrading, just to get the ball rolling I'm doing a distant learning course with Kilroys college on PC repair and upgrading. I know this is a very basic course but I just wanted to dip my feet in before I dived right in. So I'm looking for advice or suggestions from any one who has done the same thing and learnt a skill or trade in computing starting from scratch. What course should I be looking at to do next? (preferably distant learning or part time). I want a real qualification and I'm more than willing to put in the time and effort. I would really appreciate any advice from any one who is or was in the same boat.
    Thanks all for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

First of all, decide at what level you want to work and what area you want to work in.

Do you want to work at fixing PCs all the time, or move further up the chain into system administration, perhaps? Or, do you prefer programming, maybe web development? Or maybe networking?

For hardware, there is the A+ certifications to consider. Cisco do their own certifications, as do Microsoft, Sun (for Java) and Oracle. Though from my experiences doing the Oracle certification, you really need hands-on, industry experience to do well in these type of certs.

If you are willing to take the longer term outlook, you could consider a degree from an Institute of Technology or university (evening classes). Alternatively, Oscail do a degree via distance education that is awarded by DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

Cheers for that Tom. I apologise for being a bit vague in what I want to do but that's because I really haven't decided yet. I was thinking about about programming or web development but I don't know if I'm setting my sights too high with that as I will be starting from the absolute beginning.
    I'm going to have a look at your suggestions though, really appreciate your help mate.

Advertisement