Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CID Query

• 11-03-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

This whole CID issue is very confusing.. I'm into my fifth year in my school since Feb. I had full hrs last year and was cut this year and haven't been issued with a CID. I'm wondering has anyone else found themselves in the same situation? When I queried this with my Principal in September I was told I'd have to wait until Sept 2012. Is this the case?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

You will have to provide more precise information for anyone to be able to help you.

What have your contracts been? If you were appointed in February, you will have been doing part time hours for the remainder of that school year as the last date for RPT contracts is the Monday after the October midterm break.

Have you been on RPT contracts, working your own hours (not career break, secondment etc...) every year? If so, it would seem pretty straightforward that you should be getting a CID in September and the Principal would have indicated that to the Department on the forms they sent in recently following the initial allocation.

If you have not always had your own hours, but have them now, the situation is less clear however other posters here have stated that CIDs have been awarded in those circumstances.

You'll need to outline your circumstances if you want people to share their wisdom and experience with you but ultimately, if there is a disagreement between you and the school over your status, you are going to need the intervention of your union IR rep - not the school steward.

On this issue, at least, the unions know what they are up to and they have a track record of success where the teacher's claim is well-founded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 carlie16

Thanks for that Linguist.

I have been working my own hours since I started and began with a fixed term contract from February to June followed by the next which began in Sept - Aug (PRPT). They have been renewed ever since.

I have already contacted the union and they are of the opinion that the CID should have been issued in Feb but I would like to hear from others who have a similar story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well you're probably as well to go with the union as they will be fighting your case.

I don't know if anyone successfully got one on here that was in a similar situation to yours but you say you were on a fixed term contract from Feb-June that first year. I assume you didn't get paid for the summer. Would that break not constitute a break in service?

How did you get the hours in the school? Was it because of a retirement?

On another note, why were your hours cut this year? General school cutbacks or did someone else get your hours? Were they cut by much?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 carlie16

Yea, I was wondering myself about the break in service.

The hours became available because of a retirement. They were cut this year because of general cutbacks and it being my CID year surely. I went from full hours to 17. The union is probably the best way to go.

carlie16 wrote: »
    Yea, I was wondering myself about the break in service.

The hours became available because of a retirement. They were cut this year because of general cutbacks and it being my CID year surely. I went from full hours to 17. The union is probably the best way to go.

Cutbacks or otherwise, this is becoming a common approach to teachers in their fourth year to keep them below the magical 18 hours required in fourth year for a full contract. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

carlie16 you say you were on full hours last year (your 4th year) and they were only cut this year (your 5th year)?? If I'm reading that right then it doesn't matter the hours you have in your fifth year, your CID is awarded for the hours you had in the 4th yr in the school.

I second the opinion that if the union says you should have your CID then go with that. Put a request into your BOM for a CID and when they refuse in writing start your appeals process. It can take some time so best to start soon.

theLuggage wrote: »
    carlie16 you say you were on full hours last year (your 4th year) and they were only cut this year (your 5th year)?? If I'm reading that right then it doesn't matter the hours you have in your fifth year, your CID is awarded for the hours you had in the 4th yr in the school.

I second the opinion that if the union says you should have your CID then go with that. Put a request into your BOM for a CID and when they refuse in writing start your appeals process. It can take some time so best to start soon.

No the OP only completed four years in February just gone. She is now starting her fifth year in the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

However remember that the CID guidelines don't mean you automatically get a CID, factors such as falling enrollment, own hours etc come into play. If the school can demonstrate that there is no future for the post in the school due to falling numbers, then a CID is not economically viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

TheDriver wrote: »
    If the school can demonstrate that there is no future for the post in the school due to falling numbers, then a CID is not economically viable.

bare in mind that if your hours are reduced due to 'objective grounds' they cannot have that same subject hours offered to another person consequently. But you'll have to keep your ear to the ground and see how the hours are divvied up the next time, this is a major pain in the behind especially if you have to get your 'own hours' re-allocated back to you from another teacher.

Get yourself informed and have a look at some labour court cases in CID and Education . (Google "labour relations court cid school" and a few will come up).
    Check out the actual Part time workers Act (2003) (Read Section 9) Here
    A solicitor would do all this for you but no harm if you can pre-empt anything by dropping the 'lingo' in general talks with principal. They may talk about cutbacks blah blah blah but you'll have to do your school/student/teacher timetable analysis to see if your hours are actually gone! This means maybe finding out how many hours were available last year in your subject and how many are available this year, not an easy task to find out from someone you might be taking a case against, sometimes the head of the department is fairly clued in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

No the OP only completed four years in February just gone. She is now starting her fifth year in the school.

Thanks - thought I wasn't reading that properly alright! Next time I'll be posting after my morning coffee ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement