Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rack Of Lamb

Options
  • 11-03-2012 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Next Saturday I am thinking of doing a rack of lamb for dinner and I am looking for a nice marinade for it. I normally just cook it plain and use the juice/stock for gravy.

I'd like a spicy marinade, but don't want something that is too spicy or hot.

Would really appreciate some recommendations, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Get some tandoori masala powder an mix it with natural yogurt. Marinade it in that overnight before if possible. Loads of flavours. Not too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

If you don't want to go the route of marinating it how about doing a spicy herb crust or something? Just spread a bit of mustard in it then add whatever spices you want to the breadcrumbs. Could be a nice alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Cheers for the suggestions guys.

How hot is tandoori masala? Also, would the yoghurt be sweet?

My elderly grandmother will be eating it, hence why I don't want anything too hot, as she won't be able to eat it. She also doesn't dtrink alcohol, so I can't put that into the marinade.

I'd like something savoury, not sweet. I don't mind marinading the meat before hand, to be honest, I'd expect to marinade the meat to get the full flavour rather than rubbing the meat and then straight away putting it into the oven.

What about a spicy tomato marinade? Would that work?

Thanks for your suggestions so far guys, keep them coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Natural yoghurt,garlic and lemon jiuce marinaded overnight then done in oven is delicious on lamb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Cheers for the suggestions guys.

How hot is tandoori masala? Also, would the yoghurt be sweet?

You use natural yogurt. Not sweet. You can add as much or as little tandoori powder as you like. Its not really hot. Yogurt is an excellent marinade. It really tenderizes meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks for your suggestions guys, will look into them.

Melendez - Your suggestion of leaving the meat plain and just adding a side sauce is a great suggestion, and one I hadn't thought off. I think I will go with that, as it will be easier than trying to find a sauce that's spicy, yet not too spicy.

Has anyone any suggestions for a side sauce? I'm thinking plain, regular gravy with the juice/stock from the lamb and maybe a spicy tomato or pepper sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 orky87

May I suggest Rack of Lamb With Red Wine Sauce? Although you said NO ALCOHOL considering that alcohol evaporation temperature is 79C it should not be present at all once cooked.
    Red meat = Red wine
    or sesame sauce with light aroma of garlic.
    or just plain old fashioned roast and gravy.
    Don't see a point in experimenting too much with such a nice cut of meat should be delicious ether way really.
    EDIT: Instead of a marinade why not brine cure it over night? Anise (star) seeds,thyme,black pepper,lemon peel,brown sugar/honey with a pinch of pink salt for the brine. or something similar along those lines..!?

Advertisement