Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could I do higher level maths, if I repeat next year?

• 11-03-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I am doing the leaving cert this year and I am really considering repeating 6th year as I don't think I will get much points because I haven't been putting in any work throughout the two years at all and I feel like I have left it to late. Of course this all depends on the results in August.

Anyhow, I am doing Ordinary Level maths, and I was wondering would it be too difficult for me to move up to higher level next year if I repeat?

I haven't done anywork at all these past two years, barely in class and never do homework or work at home. But my teacher said that I can still very easily get an A1. I don't find it hard at all, and I can pick up on things very easily in one class that everyone else have been doing for weeks.

The teacher is excellent, and I would be able to get one, possibly two grinds a week.

Anyhow, what do you think? Does anyone have any advice for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'm doing it this year. I got a B1 in ordinary level last year (with literally zero effort) and now I'm doing higher. It's grand but some parts are horrendously difficult! I wouldn't reccomend it unless you get an A in ordinary level Maths, or at least a B1, but any less and it would really be too hard.

Have a look at what you got in your Junior Cert Maths as well. I got an A so that made me a little more confident about taking up higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Togepi wrote: »
    I'm doing it this year. I got a B1 in ordinary level last year (with literally zero effort) and now I'm doing higher. It's grand but some parts are horrendously difficult! I wouldn't reccomend it unless you get an A in ordinary level Maths, or at least a B1, but any less and it would really be too hard.

Have a look at what you got in your Junior Cert Maths as well. I got an A so that made me a little more confident about taking up higher level.

Thats reassuring. I think I have a very good chance of getting an A2-A1. My junior cert I got a B.

Can I ask you , how much work you put into it? Do you get grinds? What are you expecting to get in August?

Raeone wrote: »
    Thats reassuring. I think I have a very good chance of getting an A2-A1. My junior cert I got a B.

Can I ask you , how much work you put into it? Do you get grinds? What are you expecting to get in August?

Yeah I've been getting a one-hour grind every week since September to catch up on last year's work. It's very tough and takes up loads of my time, but hopefully it'll be worth it. Hoping to get a C, I should be able to pass it easily enough (all going well)! I think I got a D2/D3 in my mock, but I haven't gotten it back yet so I can't be sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you got a B in JC HL Maths you are well capable of doing LC HL Maths.

You have to work at it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Just to warn you if you repeat next year doing higher maths you will be the first mainstream group sitting the new course on both paper 1 and 2. The only section unchanged is functions/calculus. Bear in mind that up until now the choice has meant that it was easier to get a top grade but that is being eliminated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Sean.

Yeh, have a look at the maths course over the summer, at first it seems kind of tough but if you just keep doing practice questions, once you've finished the course everything will fall into place, easy peasy!

Togepi wrote: »
    I think I got a D2/D3 in my mock, but I haven't gotten it back yet so I can't be sure.

I got a C3 (on both papers). :D

It's definitely doable. :)

Thanks everyone for replying:)

Would the ordinary level maths course be much different next year? Just incase I try higher level and decide to move down, would I have much new things compared to this year to learn?

Togepi - thats great, well done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Thanks everyone for replying:)

Would the ordinary level maths course be much different next year? Just incase I try higher level and decide to move down, would I have much new things compared to this year to learn?

Togepi - thats great, well done :D

Both higher and ordinary will be changing next year.

Both higher and ordinary will be changing next year.

Yes I know that, thanks. But what Im trying to ask is will there be a big difference in the ordinary level next year compared to the ordinary level that Im doing now? So if I do move to higher level when I repeat and then decide to drop down to ordinary level again, would I find the course alot different to what Im doing now.

• Advertisement

Yes I know that, thanks. But what Im trying to ask is will there be a big difference in the ordinary level next year compared to the ordinary level that Im doing now? So if I do move to higher level when I repeat and then decide to drop down to ordinary level again, would I find the course alot different to what Im doing now.

Isn't it Paper I that changes? Paper II is already project Maths so there's no change for that. You could always take a look at a current fifth year ordinary level book to see how much it's changed.

Advertisement