Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you allowed swear when writing a letter of complaint?

• 11-03-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭IrishJack89

Hi everyone, I am jus wondering are you legally allowed swear when writing an e-mail of complaint. I am writing to vodafone about the s****ness of their broadband service. I have only used the 'b' word about their service and called the representative that they promised to send out by the 's' word..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Well, legality aside, it won't do you any favours when they read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'd suggest you shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

LOL You really think it's acceptable in a formal letter of complaint?

There is a minor possability of it being seen as abusive but it's unlikely. You'll just been seen as a cretin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Chances of it getting binned approach 100%.

Unless you make a really good job of it then it'll go up on a notice board somewhere :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

When you use colourful language in a complaint, It gets dealt with quicker but you don't have to use curses as such just words like Diabolical, Outrageous, Scandalous, Pathetic etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

It would not be taken seriously at all if it was full of swearing.
    So it'lll be a pointless exercise if you don't alter it.
    Plenty of other words to use!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You'll just been seen as a cretin.
    This! Use sensible cutting words and they will take notice. No need to curse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I used to be complaints@suchandsuchbigcompany.com

Cheeky letters would find their way to bottom of my stack of things to do - then after I thought they'd cooled off enough, we could start a dialogue. The tone of the dialogue would be of such, that although nothing was being stated explicitly - they'd eventually cop on, that there was an implicit "what's the magic word".

And once they found the magic word, and behaved a little more civil, the wheels would click into action, and their problem would be resolved. But if they needed to learn manners, I had all the time in the world for teaching them. All the time in the world.

My advice would be. If you're an amateur, don't get in the ring with a pro.

Or the best advice. Be nice and civil. The people who handle complaints have to put up with a lot of pricks. If someone comes across as nice, they tend to go out of their way for them. If someone is being an arse - they might feel like they're being clever, but they're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Follow the advice of KRD and others here.

Using swear words in any correspondence shows ignorance and bad manners

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

nuac wrote: »
    Follow the advice of KRD and others here.

Using swear words in any corresponce shows ignorance and bad manners

I'd go further and say it is also shows a lack of communication skills. I'm amazed the OP even THOUGHT to ask such a question TBH.

I think its ****ing ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As above. It would only become a legal problem if it was obscene (by the reasonable person rule?) or there was harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭IrishJack89

Too late anyway I sent it! There was nothing directed at any1, just 2 bad words used in it but come on I was doing a skype interview and it just went, got it back, was 12 mins in and it went again and I couldn't get it back. I wouldn't mind only I know its not my connection, everyone in ireland with vodafone boradband are getting the same problems where you have it one minute and its gone the next. FFS like..

and now your letter will be gone in the bin

how does anyone reach adulthood thinking this is acceptable...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Avatargh

Asked the question, sent it anyway...

Most pointless post I've seen coupled with the silliest question I've ever read (probably).

Who even needs to ask "are you allowed swear when writing a letter of complaint"?

No. Nil aon cead agat. Now suigh sios. You can swear when you're back out in the yard.

Always makes me laugh when people say - its rubbish everyone knows! Why not do the research into a product before buying it rather than when it goes wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Always makes me laugh when people say - its rubbish everyone knows! Why not do the research into a product before buying it rather than when it goes wrong.
    Surely we are entitled to have services work as intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Why bother. *sigh*

Victor wrote: »
    Surely we are entitled to have services work as intended.

Mobile broadband IS crap and EVERYONE DOES know its crap lol. Its great for what it does, but it does drop in and out - no point in swearing at vodaphone because its working within it's know limitations. People always seem to find out about these limitations after they've bought something.

But yes to be fair as intended/sold should be the minimum standard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭IrishJack89

Well when your offered a product by an established company like Vodafone then you expect to get what your paying for..
    Btw I was looking more at the legalities of using bad language, didn't ask how it would be viewed by the recipient so about ya Avatargh and co..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement