Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Town Wardens

Options
  • 11-03-2012 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Perhaps it would be a little fun to solicit some suggestions regarding how the town wardens could occupy themselves, to the betterment of the community, and maybe reduce the amount of time they spend ticketing cars.

I'll go first
    Perhaps they could spend a couple of days a week down on south beach ticketing dog walkers who ignore the leash laws and have turned same into a canine commode. While they were there they could also hand out a few fines for littering. I counted 27 dog turds in the little play area beside the life-guard shack.
    I really think this amenity should be the focus of our town wardens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

conlof wrote: »
    Perhaps they could spend a couple of days a week down on south beach ticketing dog walkers who ignore the leash laws and have turned same into a canine commode.

which specific "leash law" are you referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Matt in IT

Its a great idea for the Town Wardens to spend some time giving fines to careless owners.
    Our kids play in the sand it's a real hazard.
    I know of a girl who has partial sight loss in one eye because of dog poo on the beach.

So many people that take pets down there deliberately avoiding picking up the mess.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/health/health/3149334/Mothers-fight-against-dog-fouling-after-daughters-loss-of-sight.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Matt in IT wrote: »
    Its a great idea for the Town Wardens to spend some time giving fines to careless owners.
    Our kids play in the sand it's a real hazard.
    I know of a girl who has partial sight loss in one eye because of dog poo on the beach.

So many people that take pets down there deliberately avoiding picking up the mess.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/health/health/3149334/Mothers-fight-against-dog-fouling-after-daughters-loss-of-sight.html

Wow, if it's in the Sun it must be real so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I was walking along the promenade at about 8am Monday morning last week and there was a woman and daughter with dog (no leash) on the beach going for a walk. The dog went for the inimitable squat and when finished the owner walked back over to observe the business. I thought she was going to pick it up, but no, she just covered it in a little mound of sand and walked on.

There's a friend of mine blind in one eye due to animal faeces - a cat's as it happens - which was in a sand box he was playing in when very young.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

They're not specific to greystones though? they're CoCo wardens so they're probably between bray and greystones so likely won't have any spare time?

• Advertisement

Quite right.
    Don't like the Sun either. Could have been worse, the mail covered it too. Here's the BBC version. Much better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-11012044

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/parasitic/toxocariasis.html

We have two or three in the village. The wardens are on foot so they spend the day in Greystones.

Its pretty bad form to leave it on the ground. Encouraging picking it up can only be a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

They're not specific to greystones though? they're CoCo wardens so they're probably between bray and greystones so likely won't have any spare time?

I think they use Paddy Power's on the main street as their base.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

loyatemu wrote: »
    which specific "leash law" are you referring to?

if there is no specific "Leash Law" there should be, I am sick of dogs roaming wild in Charlesland and my kids being chased by them!! Some dog owners actually seem to think their dogs should have the same rights as Children and if one more dog owner tells me their dog is harmless I will not be responsible, harmless or not i/we do not want to assume that when the dog is barking at us? Don't get me started on the issue of not cleaning up after teh dogs, those owners are completely disgraceful. Now rant over...Hey BTW The Sun is a good paper?

So they're monitoring your online activities too? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Two Boys wrote: »
    if there is no specific "Leash Law" there should be, I am sick of dogs roaming wild in Charlesland and my kids being chased by them!! Some dog owners actually seem to think their dogs should have the same rights as Children and if one more dog owner tells me their dog is harmless I will not be responsible, harmless or not i/we do not want to assume that when the dog is barking at us? Don't get me started on the issue of not cleaning up after teh dogs, those owners are completely disgraceful. Now rant over...Hey BTW The Sun is a good paper?

There is no law in place that enforces dogs to be kept on a lead unless it is a Restrcited Breed. DLRCoCo are trying to introduce a Dogs on Leash rule for parks and beaches at the moment though.

However, if you are walking a dog you must keep them under effective control ( not too sure if this is the exact wording but it is ver close to it!)

Dogs running loose are not under effective control and hence are a major issue and the Dog Warden should/could be involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Two Boys wrote: »

I have to totally disagree with you here. The sun is a rag!
    I do agree with the rest of your post though. I nearly ran over a dog on the spine road the other day. Young white lab ran in front of the car. I had to break so severely the kids stopped talking for a minute. The dog was out of sight in front if the car, I thought it was a gonner. The owners response when I told her I nearly killed it was ' well you didn't.' This is a perfect example Of a dog that doesn't need to be on a lead as long as the owner is in control. If the dog is off the lead the owner doesn't have control. That other lassie type dog was crapping then baring it's teeth at me in my garden the other day. I've decided if I see it again roaming around I'll be ringing the dog warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Will start off by saying I am a dog owner - just so everyone knows where I am coming from.

In terms of the traffic wardens - think they have enough to be doing and in fairness are already on the receiving end of enough vile comments from motorists who earn the distinction of getting a ticket.

My preference would be to see a resident dog warden - fining dog owners for not cleaning up after their pets. Failing that I think a beat garda taking the odd stroll would be in an ideal position to arrest said owner for littering or some other public order offense. If folk start to see am impact to not doing their duty they might not be as inclined to just scoop the sand over the crap.

As to dogs off lead - provided the dog is under control then this should be ok. Mine however would be all over the gaff so I just can't go there except for some enclosed spaces outdoors - don't ask. Only today a friend in work hit a dog on his way into work - luckily he was going slowly as it was a school zone and the dog was fine but again where was the owner here....

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mr Diamond

Its a shame. As a 'responsible' Dog owner in Greystones, I'd hate to be tarred with the same brush as some of the other folk who DON'T act responsibly. The place IS a mess. Some accountability would be great if it could be enforced.

I don't think its unreasonable to keep your Dog on a lead on public paths or pavements...its an animal, and you can't always be sure how it'll react to other people/animals at ANY time, even if 'he/she wouldn't normally hurt a fly.'
    Despite being exceptionally friendly, mine doesn't like big dogs coming anywhere near it when its 'trapped' on the lead, so I'd appreciate people keeping theirs away from us. On a lead, like mine!

Nappy bags. Brilliant things. Use them, dog owners - its not particularly pleasant, but hey, nobody MADE you get a dog.

I do like to let my Dog run on the beach...I always keep an eye on it and ALWAYS clean up afterwards. I'm embarrassed by anyone else who doesn't. Fines should be given if no attempt to remove it is made. And I'm 'fine' with that!

There is a sign down by the beach which says something about the control of dogs. I assumed that meant putting them on leashes, my mistake. Tho when the dogs are off their leads I can't say that there seems to be much 'control' going on. Apologising to the parent of a 2/3/4/5 year old who is crying because the dog was bouncing around them and saying 'he's normally very gentle and wouldn't hurt a fly' is not controlling a dog properly.
    I will check out the sign and report back.
    I do like dogs btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I've a dog I take down there sometimes for a run around. I can recall the dog any time I like, but usually there's no need to. Dogs will often make a beeline for, and pass quite close to a person, just picking up their scent and analysing it.
    I find that about 1 in 30 people gesticulate when they see the dog approaching that they don't like the dog anywhere near them, so I might recall it then. But if I think the person is being unreasonable, ie the dog is just passing by several metres away from them, I don't. If the dog craps, I dig a hole with my heel and bury it about 20cm deep, that way it will biodegrade naturally. Considering the raw human sewage from the entire population of Arklow town pours out into the estuary there, I hardly think the odd dog crap at Greystones is going to pollute the sea.
    Am I an irresponsible monster? :)
    Sometimes I see little plastic bags of dog crap thrown in the bushes. If it wasn't in the bag, it would biodegrade, but in the bag, it just hangs there for ages. Some people only pick it up because they can be seen out in the open, on the beach, then when nobody is looking later, they fling the bag away into the bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

some owners are careless, I think most of the sh!te on the footpaths is caused by loose dogs though - ie owners letting their dogs out in the morning to roam around unattended.

Most people walking their dogs do seem to pick up after them (perhaps less so on the beach though). The town could do with more poo bins (and litter bins in general) - there isn't a single bin on Church Lane for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

recedite wrote: »
    If the dog craps, I dig a hole with my heel and bury it about 20cm deep, that way it will biodegrade naturally. Considering the raw human sewage from the entire population of Arklow town pours out into the estuary there, I hardly think the odd dog crap at Greystones is going to pollute the sea.

Its not about polluting the sea - its about the unpleasantness and dangers of inadvertently coming across that poo when walking/playing - my kids like to dig 20cm holes when building sandcastles on that beach!

I have a dog, and I don't mind picking up after her - I do mind when my 1 year hands me a little pile of sandy covered dog poo when we were out playing (:eek:). I would hate to think that I had put another mother/child in that position.

So please, please pick up...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think most of the sh!te on the footpaths is caused by loose dogs though - ie owners letting their dogs out in the morning to roam around unattended.

Most people walking their dogs do seem to pick up after them (perhaps less so on the beach though). .

I agree - I bring my pooch for a walk every morning and I've yet to see someone not pick up after their dog.

But how do we solve the problem of roaming dogs without impounding them?

But if I think the person is being unreasonable, ie the dog is just passing by several metres away from them, I don't.

I have a real problem with this. If a person is waving the dog off then that persons space is being encroached upon and the person is being made feel uncomfortable. The idea that you decide whether the person is being 'unreasonable' is beyond conceited.
    As regards the dog turds allow me to paraphrase. I go to the beach, my dog takes a s***, i leave the beach, the s*** stays on the beach.

A monster?? No, there is a better word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

I've a dog I take down there sometimes for a run around. I can recall the dog any time I like, but usually there's no need to. Dogs will often make a beeline for, and pass quite close to a person, just picking up their scent and analysing it.
    I find that about 1 in 30 people gesticulate when they see the dog approaching that they don't like the dog anywhere near them, so I might recall it then. But if I think the person is being unreasonable, ie the dog is just passing by several metres away from them, I don't. If the dog craps, I dig a hole with my heel and bury it about 20cm deep, that way it will biodegrade naturally. Considering the raw human sewage from the entire population of Arklow town pours out into the estuary there, I hardly think the odd dog crap at Greystones is going to pollute the sea.
    Sometimes I see little plastic bags of dog crap thrown in the bushes. If it wasn't in the bag, it would biodegrade, but in the bag, it just hangs there for ages. Some people only pick it up because they can be seen out in the open, on the beach, then when nobody is looking later, they fling the bag away into the bushes.
    you dig a hole 20cm with your heel? good man..what if it craps on concrete/macadam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Mr Diamond

Ouch. I'm afraid there's a bit of 'This is your problem, not mine,' going on here.
    I love my Dog. You love your Dog. But not everyone loves our Dogs and frankly, you can't expect them to. You have a responsibility...nobody else.

Biodegrade? Tell that to a Kid digging sandcastles?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

This is wrong. You should pick it up. Kicking sand over it will get you fined if seen by a warden. As said earlier, it annoys me when my kids start panicing because some huge dog is charging at them. They don't know if it's going to bite them or jump up on them. And it pisses me off to be told, they're ok, It's not for a dog owner to decide if a child is ok or not? I wouldn't describe you as a monster, but I would describe you as irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

. If the dog craps, I dig a hole with my heel and bury it about 20cm deep, that way it will biodegrade naturally. Considering the raw human sewage from the entire population of Arklow town pours out into the estuary there, I hardly think the odd dog crap at Greystones is going to pollute the sea.

Shocking. 20cm? With a heel? You sure that's 20cm deep or just 20cm long? By the time you have done that you could have bagged it. I am sure you are breaking the law too. Shame you cant be prosecuted with your post as evidence.
    Btw the sewerage problem in arklow does not make it ok for you to bury crap on a beach in greystones.
    You choose to own a dog, with that comes the responsibility that comes with which includes picking up its crap. Don't want to pick up crap? Don't have a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I find that about 1 in 30 people gesticulate when they see the dog approaching that they don't like the dog anywhere near them, so I might recall it then. But if I think the person is being unreasonable, ie the dog is just passing by several metres away from them, I don't.
    Hold on - let me get this straight - if you see someone being "unreasonable" about your dog you ignore them? Really?
    Does it not occur to you that their unreasonable behaviour may be due to a very real phobia and your little power trip may have just caused them to have a very serious and real reaction to a perceived threat. Perceived as in they just cannot see anything but a threat in your lovely dog.
    I'm sorry but this astounds me. What happens if one of these "unreasonable" people decide to defend themselves and take a rash action which prompts either you or your dog to likewise react aggressively.
    If the dog craps, I dig a hole with my heel and bury it about 20cm deep, that way it will biodegrade naturally.
    Oh cop the hell on. Just because your dog's faeces is out of sight does not mean it is out of reach of some child. However you want to rationalise your behaviour here you are clearly breaking the law and showing NO respect for any other beach user. Dog owners like you give the rest of us a bad name. If you are not willing to clean up after your dog then in my mind you should not be allowed to have a dog.

Simple as.

Either clean up your dog's crap or stay the hell off our beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

the fellows that look after the parking are not council employees, they work for a company that has been contracted by the council, so there job is just the parking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

completly agree with taltos point there, it will biodegrade but will take weeks and weeks to do so.

whats not to say that a kid comes along the same day diges a hole in the sand and gets to play with a warm piece of poo???

disguisting

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

nungesser wrote: »
    the fellows that look after the parking are not council employees, they work for a company that has been contracted by the council, so there job is just the parking

Not anymore. Their job has been expanded to include giving fines to people who litter or allow their dogs to foul in public places in Greystones.

http://newsfeed.eastcoast.fm/2012/01/greystones-traffic-wardens-given-power.html

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I wonder how that is working out. Giving fines directly to people is a lot different from sticking a ticket on a car windscreen when the owner isn't there. Anyone heard of anyone getting a litter fine from these guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

sounds typical of these times, give them more work to do and they probably don't get paid any extra, we really missed the boat with the parking thing, cause it only pays for itself, were as if they could secure a better rate for the enforcement services any profit could be put back into the town, for example funds for bringing back the summer festival or building a playground, ect..

• Advertisement

nungesser wrote: »
    sounds typical of these times, give them more work to do and they probably don't get paid any extra, we really missed the boat with the parking thing, cause it only pays for itself, were as if they could secure a better rate for the enforcement services any profit could be put back into the town, for example funds for bringing back the summer festival or building a playground, ect..

The money comes from the machines not the fines. They only dish out a couple of tickets a day.
    They're really just making sure we cough up.

So its a no brainer to have them do something else that really benefits the community.
    It can only be a good thing if as they police parking they reduce the amount if dog muck and litter. who loses?
    I'd be all for bonuses for cleanup fines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement