Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Town Wardens

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Mr Diamond wrote: »
    Ouch. I'm afraid there's a bit of 'This is your problem, not mine,' going on here.
    I love my Dog. You love your Dog. But not everyone loves our Dogs and frankly, you can't expect them to. You have a responsibility...nobody else.

Biodegrade? Tell that to a Kid digging sandcastles?
    You are a totalminority in this town. Mosy of them are totally irresponsible. We need draconian legislation now. Everyone else who doesn't keep dogs are sick of you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

I'm getting the impression that non-dog people are getting sick of dog peoples complete disregard for others and dog people are completely oblivious of the fact that the rest of us would be a lot happier if they stayed off the beach and kept their dogs on leashes. And they picked up the crap as well. How about the dog people, when out for a walk, picked up all the s*** they saw on the ground. Just a thought.
    BTW the sign says on a leash or under owners control.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

conlof wrote: »
    I'm getting the impression that non-dog people are getting sick of dog peoples complete disregard for others and dog people are completely oblivious of the fact that the rest of us would be a lot happier if they stayed off the beach and kept their dogs on leashes. And they picked up the crap as well. How about the dog people, when out for a walk, picked up all the s*** they saw on the ground. Just a thought.

You lost me on that one.
    Keep dogs off the beach - this had better not be a serious suggestion.
    "How about the dog people, when out for a walk, picked up all the s*** they saw on the ground. " - how about you pick it up. It is one thing to clean up after your own dog - you have a connection and a responsibility there. If you want to play that card then my immediate response is all people in this community have a civic responsibility to clean up any mess they see - dog crap or otherwise.

If this is turning into one of those "Us and them" / "dog walkers and just walkers" then this thread is past it's sell by date.
    Irrespective of having a dog or not - the nub of the issue is a minority refuses to clean up after themselves and they need to be held to account for this. End of.

Bringing in leash laws / beach bans as elsewhere is a non-runner and for the first time in my life I will become criminalised and gladly so if we were to go that route. Look - if you see someone not cleaning up after their dogs foul - call them on it - take a photo - anything - just make it clear that their antisocial behaviour is not welcome in our town or on our beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Taltos wrote: »
    You lost me on that one.
    Keep dogs off the beach - this had better not be a serious suggestion.
    "How about the dog people, when out for a walk, picked up all the s*** they saw on the ground. " - how about you pick it up. It is one thing to clean up after your own dog - you have a connection and a responsibility there. If you want to play that card then my immediate response is all people in this community have a civic responsibility to clean up any mess they see - dog crap or otherwise.

If this is turning into one of those "Us and them" / "dog walkers and just walkers" then this thread is past it's sell by date.
    Irrespective of having a dog or not - the nub of the issue is a minority refuses to clean up after themselves and they need to be held to account for this. End of.

Bringing in leash laws / beach bans as elsewhere is a non-runner and for the first time in my life I will become criminalised and gladly so if we were to go that route. Look - if you see someone not cleaning up after their dogs foul - call them on it - take a photo - anything - just make it clear that their antisocial behaviour is not welcome in our town or on our beaches.

We could also expand the thread to be
    Smokers and Non Smokers - Why should I have to put up with people throwing butts on the ground.
    Litterbugs and Non Litterbugs - Why should I have to put up with filth from people too lazy to use a bin.

I think the thread descended into a "lets pick on dog owners" where as the OP asked for suggestions in general in what else we can get the Wardens to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

it will biodegrade but will take weeks and weeks to do so...whats not to say that a kid comes along the same day diges a hole in the sand and gets to play with a warm piece of poo???

disguisting
    OK, even if the kid dug deep enough, the odds are 250,000 to 1, based on 1.25km x50m beach and 4 holes to the square metre. But just walking around barefoot, you are in contact with bird droppings, rotting seaweed, stinky decomposing crabs, and the millions of crawling sandhoppers that feed on all the above. The point is; the beach was never going to be a sterile place. If you want sterile, look to the swimming pool.
    the fact that the rest of us would be a lot happier if they stayed off the beach and kept their dogs on leashes.
    You are entitled to your own personal space as a dog free zone, which IMO is a few metres around you, but you are not entitled to "wave off" any dog you see running on the beach without a leash.
    Suppose I felt menaced by groups of teenagers wearing hoodies. I should be able to walk the beach without being contacted or hassled by them, but I can't ban them from the beach. I would have to just "get a handle on" my own prejudices.
    If I see any dog crap on the beach, I bury it out of harms way. I'll bet most of the indignant posters on this thread would just walk past and leave it for some kid to walk in.
    IMO the worst hazard for kids on the South Beach is broken glass, which is why I often have some in my pocket when the dog and I go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

BTW the sign says on a leash or under owners control.

It's not fair to tar all us dog owners with the same brush. I don't mind the new ruling that sys we must keep off the blue flag bit of the beach during the summer, I have kids and HATE the dog poo everywhere. I always pick up after my two but saying I should pick up other's is as ridiculous as saying that all you drivers should pay when someone else drink drives..

The issue of the mess on the beach needs to be dealt with though, for me the broken glass everywhere is more of an issue. It's especially bad when walking south along the beach (as we always do because of the dogs:D)

Is there anything we, as a community, can do about it? I've seen other beaches being dug over, could we do that here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

the difference recedite is even though we may be walking around barefoot on the beach, the majority of us don't have the ability to put our foot in our mouths like a small child might be able to.

I don't agree that dogs should be banned, i do however think that dog owners should clean up after their pets.

don't get me wrong, i am an avid lover of dogs, and if i wasn't living in an apartment i would have one possibly two, but i'd be damn sure not to be so bloody laxy as to bury my dogs feces on the beach but put them in the sh1t bins provided.

I also agree with mirekb on the rest of the litter and the bottles, but just because someone else is leaving a mess behind them doesn't give you a free pass to do the same.

At the end of the day, pick up your dogs sh1te, clean up your own mess. If everyone does there piece the beach will be a better place (end of tree hugging rant!)

At the end of the day, pick up your dogs sh1te, clean up your own mess. If everyone does there piece the beach will be a better place (end of tree hugging rant!)

Totally agree with this! - but it's not happening, so can we do something? Do you think people would come down if we organised a clean up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Maybe, you should speak to the town council and see about getting involved in the tidy towns committee / cleanup crew.

they quite often do a big cleanup around the year at various times.

Thanks, will do! I wonder what can be done long term to resolve the issue, any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Matt in IT

This isn't a complicated post.

I like dogs. I couldn't eat a whole one.
    I like dog owners --- " ---

With one exception on this thread we are not OK with crap being left on the ground. Especially where kids play.

So the biggest issue for safety in my mind is the beach. So it's a good place to concentrate. They only have to make a change in perception. The same way most people don't think it's OK to smoke in a restaurant.

So a great solution will be for the town wardens to fine owners when they fail to collect the poo. They've got cameras for the cars. They'll work on dogs too.

How about?1. All dogs need a licence and to get a licence your dog is chipped for a start. 2. Chip gives owners details and can be read by a simple scanner.
    3. Wardens scan any dog on the loose , pooing where the owner is not cleaning up, owner is not carrying a bag displayed around the lead. 4. €200 fine sent to owners address.
    That will sort the whole thing out quickly.

How about?1. All dogs need a licence and to get a licence your dog is chipped for a start. 2. Chip gives owners details and can be read by a simple scanner.
    3. Wardens scan any dog on the loose , pooing where the owner is not cleaning up, owner is not carrying a bag displayed around the lead. 4. €200 fine sent to owners address.

Never that simple though. For example
    1. All cars need a registration plate
    2. Plate gives owners details and can be looked up easily by the Warden
    3. Wardesees someone driving along, sees them throwing rubbish out the window.
    4. Fine sent to owner by post.

Very rarely happens :(

RosieJoe wrote: »

Have seen fines for throwing fags out window coming through. If not paid, further penalty, then court. No reason why this should be too hard. No reason at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I hope that anyone that thinks its ok to bury dog crap on a public beach are caught in the act and given large fines. Their pictures should be posted on a large board each end of the beach path.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Tbh I do like dogs.

I do think that the beach is nowhere near as clean as it should be and that the wardens should be patrolling the area and making people aware that leaving any detritus behind them is unacceptable.

I also think that what we should take from this thread is that regardless of the wardens we, as a community, need to be more assertive when it comes to others littering and fouling. Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mr Diamond

You are a totalminority in this town. Mosy of them are totally irresponsible. We need draconian legislation now. Everyone else who doesn't keep dogs are sick of you all.

I wouldn't say I was a minority. I truly believe its the selfish minorities that tend to ruin things for the Majority...not the other way around.
    People don't notice when things are fine and dog owners are being responsible. Why? Because there's nothing to notice!

If one Dog is crapping all over the place and scaring people, and its owner is burying its crap on the beach... then it really pisses people off!
    That owner has to realise that the dog is THEIR problem, not anyone elses.
    YOUR Dog. YOUR responsibility. Truly is a clear cut situation in this case.

How we fine them is a trickier one.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

I walk the beach alot, with my dog and YES I ALWAYS clean up after her but I agree there is alot of people who dont, which is disgraceful. This thread has totally turned into a 'everyone blame the dog owners', it is not all of us, so please dont blame every dog owner because that would be like blaming everyone with children for the broken glass and rubbish left behind after the weekend or day out on the beach - which I would never do :-)

In the summer at night there is nothing but rubbish left behind from people having their pinics. It is basically up to everyone to clean up all rubbish after ourselves.

As far as I remember there used to be a scheme run for people on the dole to earn extra cash for cleaning up our beaches but that was stopped.

enjoy your day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

dr ro wrote: »
    I have to totally disagree with you here. The sun is a rag!
    I do agree with the rest of your post though. I nearly ran over a dog on the spine road the other day. Young white lab ran in front of the car. I had to break so severely the kids stopped talking for a minute. The dog was out of sight in front if the car, I thought it was a gonner. The owners response when I told her I nearly killed it was ' well you didn't.' This is a perfect example Of a dog that doesn't need to be on a lead as long as the owner is in control. If the dog is off the lead the owner doesn't have control. That other lassie type dog was crapping then baring it's teeth at me in my garden the other day. I've decided if I see it again roaming around I'll be ringing the dog warden.

I doubt you are qualified to decide what is a rag and what is not?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

dr ro wrote: »
    I have to totally disagree with you here. The sun is a rag!
    I do agree with the rest of your post though. I nearly ran over a dog on the spine road the other day. Young white lab ran in front of the car. I had to break so severely the kids stopped talking for a minute. The dog was out of sight in front if the car, I thought it was a gonner. The owners response when I told her I nearly killed it was ' well you didn't.' This is a perfect example Of a dog that doesn't need to be on a lead as long as the owner is in control. If the dog is off the lead the owner doesn't have control. That other lassie type dog was crapping then baring it's teeth at me in my garden the other day. I've decided if I see it again roaming around I'll be ringing the dog warden.

What Qualifies you to decide if The Irish Sun is a Rag?? anyway we are getting off the point here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Two Boys wrote: »

What Qualifies you to decide if The Irish Sun is a Rag?? anyway we are getting off the point here.

No, "you" are getting off the point.

Anyway, I have to agree with most on here. I'm getting really sick of dodging piles of dog crap on my evening walk and inevitably when it's dark you hit one or too. Heavy fines and strong enforcement of them are the only way to ram the point home but realistically the only people who will catch these people are fellow walkers.

I have a cunning plan! We could give dog walkers a copy of The Sun each and whenever their dogs go for a No. 2 they can use the paper to wipe their arses with :D Sure, that's all it is fit for IMO :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Lets keep on topic guys.

Play the subject and not the poster. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

RosieJoe wrote: »

orr when buying licence sample of dogs hair is taken fot dna purposes...so warden can take swabs of all the craps they come across traced back to licenced owner..200 euro fines pay for this..dogs found out straying and not chipped deemed 'out of system' put down after a week..if you want to claim it you pay and give dna sample....so on etc...same system for cats ..the crap they leave in peoples gardens/ on public areas can be traced to owners....simple..

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Maudi wrote: »
    orr when buying licence sample of dogs hair is taken fot dna purposes...so warden can take swabs of all the craps they come across traced back to licenced owner..200 euro fines pay for this..dogs found out straying and not chipped deemed 'out of system' put down after a week..if you want to claim it you pay and give dna sample....so on etc...same system for cats ..the crap they leave in peoples gardens/ on public areas can be traced to owners....simple..

doesn't actually sound that simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Maudi wrote: »
    so warden can take swabs of all the craps they come across .

All the people who left their cars tens minutes longer than paid for on the disc and got a 40 euro fine are liking this plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This is done. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement