Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THREE SCIENCES 3

Options
  • 11-03-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi I was just wandering what people think about doing three sciences and french for the leaving cert and whether or not it is advisable :confused: and if anyone with past experience could enlighten me ps geography and dcg are in the mix aswell as applied maths I have 4 days thanks in advance I aspire to do something in health with physics as a back up if I don't get the points chemical and bioprocess ucd eventhough it isn't a requirement I feel it would be naive not to do it for it would make things easier PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT THE WORKLOAD AND WHETHER OR NOT OTHER SUBJECTS WILL SUFFER:eek::D:cool::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Irishlion97

PS I LOVE SCIENCE AND AM CONFIDENT I WANT A CAREER IN IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I'm doing 3 sciences. If you have a very scientific mind it's a good choice. I like the sciences because a lot of it is understanding as opposed to rote learning and I'm really glad I avoided subjects I'd need to learn off essays for. I don't find the workload to be bad at all. I'm doing applied maths outside of school too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm in 6th year now doing the three sciences and French. The work load is probably a lot less than those doing history, geography and art say, but you need to be a very scientifically minded person to do it. The subjects themselves are very different to what they were at junior.

If I'm honest, I don't know if I'd do it again given the choice. It can be really tedious doing nothing but science science and more science, then some maths for good measure. I think maybe if I had something like history thrown in it could break up the monotony. On the other hand, they're much easier to study for and do well in than something like History or English, because theres no subjectivity. Its a good combination for points if you're good at them. What I will say though, especially as regards chemistry, if you're finding really hard come October or Christmas of 5th year, just move subjects. Chemistry works or it doesn't work and most of my class is now failing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ImRebecca

I'm thinking of doing the same. I like the way that in science your either right or wrong compared to geography for example. I'd say go for it if you enjoy science and achieve in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I did it, and to be honest it made the whole LC a lot less stressful. I HATED doing essays, always knew I wanted to do something science related in college and didn't see the point in studying history or something when I had no interest in it. If you like science and have a knack for it I'd say go for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Just because its an uncommon combination doesn't mean it'll be any more or less manageable. The leaving cert subjects are arranged so that each subject is meant to have a similiar workload, although obviously it doesn't work out like this ideally. If you like science then I see no reason why you shouldn't, in fact if science is your thing it's likely to reduce your workload, and also make study overall more enjoyable. I know I would've found the leaving cert much much easier if I got to take 8 science/maths subjects.

And also if your choices are between health and physics, well health courses are biology and chemistry heavy (chemistry usually being the more important one) and physics obviously uses physics so there's a good chance you'll be preparing yourself for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I'm not really doing the 3 normal sciences of Chemistry, Biology an Physics but instead Chemistry, Biology and Agricultural Science and I find them pretty good. There is a nice overlap between Biology and Ag Science.

Advertisement