Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second SKY box with Saorview

Options
  • 11-03-2012 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup the old portable TV in the bedroom to go digital before the turnoff of the analogue system. (The TV does not have the built-in MPEG-4 decoder.)

The portable only has a co-axial input with a single scart connector on the back. I don't think it's worth paying the extra €180 a year to get SKY Multiroom, so what I'm planning to do is the following:

...buy a cheap second hand SKY box and get the free-to-air channels through the scart. Buy a Saorview Set Top Box to get the RTE stations through the co-axial input.

I'm just wondering if this will work, and if the SKY+ unit in the living room would still work as normal?

Thanks,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bilbert55

Use the coax input for sky and the Saorview box on scart,

Sky+ in front room will be unaffected,

u can buy a free to air satellite box for around €50 - these are much better than an old sky box

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

As long as you stay paying a sky subscription your sky+ should work as normal,the sky box in the bedroom will give you fta channels once you bring a coax cable from the dish lnb to the sky box,you will need a coax cable from a UHF aerial to saorview box to receive saorview or an indoor aerial if your in a strong signal aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,533 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

paul8f wrote: »
    ...buy a cheap second hand SKY box and get the free-to-air channels through the scart. Buy a Saorview Set Top Box to get the RTE stations through the co-axial input.

I'm just wondering if this will work, and if the SKY+ unit in the living room would still work as normal?

I don't think any Saorview receiver has a co-ax output to TV, scart or HDMI only. You may be able to loop a scart from one receiver thru another to the TV.

For the FTA satellite channels you'll require a separate feed from a quad LNB (4 output) on the satellite dish, it'll have no effect on your existing Sky+ receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

Could use the scart for soarview box and rf outlet for skybox.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 paul8f

If I cannot loop the scarts, I will go with the RF (co-ax) for the SAT. A single run from the LNB of the dish will do, as I will not be recording with the 2nd satellite box.

Thanks for all the advice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement