Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Ireland St Patricks Day 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

stephen_n wrote: »
    Be some interesting match ups in this game. I think Earls pace will question Tuillagi's defense much as I'm sure he will test Earls defense. Hopefully the blitz will nullify a lot of Tuillagi's attacking threat and Earls tackling has been great so far. If we Blitz I have no doubt Farrell will run at us but is his kicking game good enough to exploit the gaps in behind the blitz? We may well gain dominance in the back row but all in all the packs will be fairly even, I'm sure we will be targeting the scrum which is unusual for an Irish pack in Twickenham and it will be interesting to see if Ryan can attack their lineout. Ireland +5

I don't know, I used to think Tuilagi was relatively slow, but he was really able to motor for that first try v France. Earls is undoubtedly faster, but how much faster, and how much of an impact it will have, will be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

nerd69 wrote: »
    kearney>foden>a healthy felix jones>brown>dave kearney>hurley just my opinion hurleys a very talented player and hes big for a fullback but where very deep at fb at the mo earls and fitz should be in there somewhere aswell

I'm a big baby kearns fan but dunno if I'd rate him that highly as a FB. IIRC he started out as a FB, but hasn't played at any great level as a FB and is definately showing his strength as a winger...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Tuillagi will do his best to totally flatten Earls in the opening 5-10 minutes of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

prospect wrote: »
    Tuillagi will do his best to totally flatten Earls in the opening 5-10 minutes of the game.

thats all he does all game every game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

prospect wrote: »

Insightful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

course you could, Hurley would be an able player if Kearney wasn't firing on all cylinders, but... he is.

Foden isn't quite playing near where he is able.
    Dont forget, Felix Jones is back & firing on all cylinders, if he stays fit he's pushing Kearney all the way for a starting spot in the autumn internationals

Lelantos wrote: »
    Dont forget, Felix Jones is back & firing on all cylinders, if he stays fit he's pushing Kearney all the way for a starting spot in the autumn internationals

na kearney has to start unless he falls apart over the next few months hes playing unreal at the mo but jones would be one hell of a sub to bring on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

Tuilagi will be the ultimate test for Earls to put his demons at 13 to bed. Hes been very solid at 13 so far this tournament. However if he gives up another try from being run over by Tuilagi the knives will be out of the drawer again from some sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Giving up on him starting in the summer?

Anyway felix is a quality player and if he is fit and full form I'd be happy to see him start a game or two out of the four in the AIs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

That is complete tripe. Kearney is in sensational form. Currently Jones is nowhere close to pushing Kearney for a starting place.

• Advertisement

Kearney is in unbelievable form at the moment. Jones will have to do some special things if he wants to take it away from him, unless Kearney's form drops significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ah will you get a grip, a guy who has two caps off the bench is not going to displace one of our form players, one of our few international class players, and a player who has become a leader in the squad, a squad which is looking pretty light on leaders. He wont come near displacing Kearney unless DK radically changes his approach to squad selection. I'm a fan of Jones, Leinster might yet rue the day they offloaded him, but he's nowhere near pushing Kearney for a spot in any international for which Kearney is fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Tox56 wrote: »
    Kearney is in unbelievable form at the moment. Jones will have to do some special things if he wants to take it away from him, unless Kearney's form drops significantly.
    Ah will you get a grip, a guy who has two caps off the bench is not going to displace one of our form players, one of our few international class players, and a player who has become a leader in the squad, a squad which is looking pretty light on leaders. He wont come near displacing Kearney unless DK radically changes his approach to squad selection. I'm a fan of Jones, Leinster might yet rue the day they offloaded him, but he's nowhere near pushing Kearney for a spot in any international for which Kearney is fit.

As Tox said, it will only happen if Kearney loses form, but that has happened before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Otacon wrote: »
    As Tox said, it will only happen if Kearney loses form, but that has happened before.

And Toner might be pushing for a start if POC loses form.

I don't know, I used to think Tuilagi was relatively slow, but he was really able to motor for that first try v France. Earls is undoubtedly faster, but how much faster, and how much of an impact it will have, will be interesting to see.

hes quick but it takes him a bit to get going the same as his big bro

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The only thing that will take Kearney or anyone else out of Kidneys team is injury. So don't hold your breath on Jones. He's only a year younger than Kearney so I think its possible he could well end up in his shadow for his entire career.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

No harm in trying out a few lads in the AIs, if Kearney gets injured or loses form(one of which will probably happen in the next 2 years) we'll be glad we did. Although I'd prefer to be giving young guys a game no harm in trying Jones out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

danthefan wrote: »
    And Toner might be pushing for a start if POC loses form.

There are a few ahead of Toner IMO. Jones is next behind Kearney as a FB, also IMO.

That is complete tripe. Kearney is in sensational form. Currently Jones is nowhere close to pushing Kearney for a starting place.
    Funnily enough, i said in Autumn, not now, he needs to regain his fitness levels, dont forget, he was the player in form before the WC until his injury hoodoo hit again

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Funnily enough, i said in Autumn, not now, he needs to regain his fitness levels, dont forget, he was the player in form before the WC until his injury hoodoo hit again

Was he? He was great an all but don't know about that...

• Advertisement

Sure Kearney is playing well, but Jones when fir will provide serious competition, he's a better tackler than Kearney & his positional sense is spot on. Kearney is the man in possesion, no doubt, but competition for places is good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Sure Kearney is playing well, but Jones when fir will provide serious competition, he's a better tackler than Kearney & his positional sense is spot on. Kearney is the man in possesion, no doubt, but competition for places is good

Kearney is a different class to Jones. When the 6N is over, Nacewa will have no option but to budge over to the wing, which is really saying something.

.ak wrote: »
    Was he? He was great an all but don't know about that...
    Great end of season with Munster, played against Scotland, came on against France as someone else was having a poor game, did well & started the return game against France, then bang, ligaments.
    Could be another option at FB if he stays fit, but has a habit of throwing himself into tackles that can harm him. First game back @ shannon a few weeks ago, making huge tackles after 6 months out, have to admire his bravery, but it makes him prone to serious injuries

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's his going into contact with the ball that worries me more then his tackling. He seems to go in far too upright.

Still, he appears to be a very good player. But with only 20 or so games for Munster and a couple caps it's way too early to say anything definitively. Personally, I think he'll be a great player for Munster but simply isn't in Kearney's league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

tolosenc wrote: »
    Kearney is a different class to Jones. When the 6N is over, Nacewa will have no option but to budge over to the wing, which is really saying something.

That's probably saying more about Isa than Rob though.

phog wrote: »
    That's probably saying more about Isa than Rob though.

It depends what way you look at it.

Isa is such a good fullback, not many players would have the clout to force him to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

It depends what way you look at it.

Isa is such a good fullback, not many players would have the clout to force him to move.

If I had to pick one of the two to start for any team I'd go for Isa.

phog wrote: »
    If I had to pick one of the two to start for any team I'd go for Isa.

Exactly, he's such a good player if he is being moved of out of his best position (imo) for somone on a consistent basis, it says a lot about Kearney.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To be fair, it's as much because Isa is much better winger then Rob.

Advertisement