Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Ireland St Patricks Day 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Lelantos wrote: »
    I said thru the 6n, you know as well as i do that he had a leg strain & was nursed over the first game or 2, Fez has a slight shoulder injury, but Best is the one that cant last 80 mins, 50-55 mins & he has to come off. DK seems to like the idea of having 2 kickers on & playing Sexton @12

Play McFadden at 12 and he has 2 kickers even if he takes Sexton off, arguably an even better kicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Tox56 wrote: »
    Then why did he keep Sexton on the field when he brought O'Gara on?
    I said thru the 6n, you know as well as i do that he had a leg strain & was nursed over the first game or 2, Fez has a slight shoulder injury, but Best is the one that cant last 80 mins, 50-55 mins & he has to come off. DK seems to like the idea of having 2 kickers on & playing Sexton @12

With Best coming off at the 55 min mark DK feels he has to get the vice-captain on the pitch, hence the ridiculous reshuffle of our whole back line to fit ROG in.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

JRant wrote: »
    With Best coming off at the 55 min mark DK feels he has to get the vice-captain on the pitch, hence the ridiculous reshuffle of our whole back line to fit ROG in.

i think ridiculous is a bit extreme it wouldn't be my first option but its not silly and at this level you cant just name anyone captain rog has experience so it makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Now who's being rediculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Best came off at 55 because of a rib injury. Don't expect the same to happen again tomorrow

He hasn't been subbed before 70 in any of the other games

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Best came off at 55 because of a rib injury. Don't expect the same to happen again tomorrow

He hasn't been subbed before 70 in any of the other games
    Best will be off before 60 mins tomorrow, that is pretty much certain,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Best will be off before 60 mins tomorrow, that is pretty much certain,

How is it certain?

He was being saved last week for this game, I expect him to be on with 5 to go if it's tight

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    How is it certain?

He was being saved last week for this game, I expect him to be on with 5 to go if it's tight
    He's still injured, if its tight after an hour, DK may leave him on, we shall see.

nerd69 wrote: »

i think ridiculous is a bit extreme it wouldn't be my first option but its not silly and at this level you cant just name anyone captain rog has experience so it makes sense.

It is ridiculous though. Your hooker gets injured so you change your halfbacks and centre!!! How does that make any sense at all?

It is ridiculous though. Your hooker gets injured so you change your halfbacks and centre!!! How does that make any sense at all?

to get a proven captain on the field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

hold on I'm just going to consult my all knowing crystal ball about what mysterious Declan will do with subs this weekend .............. and the crystal ball is stumped as well; literally the guy could do anything; hes mysterious Declan Kidney

Now who's being rediculous

Have you a point to make?

to get a proven captain on the field

There were plenty of leaders on the field at the time though. We need to start getting away from this idea that you need 100 odd caps to be captain. Sure wasn't POM Munster captain a few times this season and he got hauled off despite putting in a decent shift.

What point are you making? Substituions are something that DK has been slow to make before, yet when he makes them, he gets criticised.
    I will say again, 4 games in 4 weeks is a lot at this level. D'arcy made his debut at 19 for Ireland, he's 32 now, and in that time he has only started 5 games against England (won all 5) Some players need to be protected & eased thru games more thamn others.

There were plenty of leaders on the field at the time though. We need to start getting away from this idea that you need 100 odd caps to be captain. Sure wasn't POM Munster captain a few times this season and he got hauled off despite putting in a decent shift.

im not saying i would have dont it im just saying thats why he did it
    he's experimenting with this partnership and changing things up thats what people want.

Also no1 says you need 100 odd caps to be a captain but it was a close game and putting some1 whos not been a captain before making the decisions is silly experience matters in close games. who would you have given the armband because im a fan of pom but giving the armband to a man in his first cap is cheapening what should be a great honor.

Give it to Heaslip or Ferris.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Give it to Heaslip or Ferris.
    Sure, Ferris, Healy & Kearney have leadership abilities & could be considered for captain, Heaslip is best left to concentrate on his game at the moment & not have the added pressure of the captaincy on his shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Sure, Ferris, Healy & Kearney have leadership abilities & could be considered for captain, Heaslip is best left to concentrate on his game at the moment & not have the added pressure of the captaincy on his shoulders.

Healy never stood out as a leader to me; hes an amazing player but most of the time hes the one getting pinged or dare i say it lazy running

either way he could have done that but reshuffling the back line was not ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I think people are reading too deeply into this. I don't believe ROG was brought on because Kidney wanted a "leader" on the field. He was brought on because, wether you agree or not, Kidney doesn't rate Mcfadden at 12 and would rather reshuffle the backline with Sexton at 12 & ROG at ten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

What point are you making? Substituions are something that DK has been slow to make before, yet when he makes them, he gets criticised.
    I will say again, 4 games in 4 weeks is a lot at this level. D'arcy made his debut at 19 for Ireland, he's 32 now, and in that time he has only started 5 games against England (won all 5) Some players need to be protected & eased thru games more thamn others.

I've read this bit about five times now and still don't get it. Are you saying that D'Arcy is one of the players who needs to be eased through games? If so, what has him making his debut at 19 got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I just realised something - I mix soccer player Stephen Ireland up with Keith Earls. Anyone else have this problem. I have started to think of the two players in the same way, so Earls is not coming out of it too well! I have been impressed with Earls in the six nations, he's improved as a player, and has not been talking too much either, which is a good thing.

I've read this bit about five times now and still don't get it. Are you saying that D'Arcy is one of the players who needs to be eased through games? If so, what has him making his debut at 19 got to do with anything?
    D'arcy hasnt scored a competitive try in the 6n for 4 seasons or so, but as an inside cetre, thats not his job, its to make the hard firt few yards, put his body on the line & let others benefit from his work. His defensive abitities are top notch too, and yes, when you put your body on the line, you pick up knocks & injuries. My point is that he has played for Ireland for 13 years, almost completely first choice in that time, and yet, he has only played 5 times against england, injuries & strains take their toll & certain players have to be rested & wrapped in cotton wool at times.

im not saying i would have dont it im just saying thats why he did it
    he's experimenting with this partnership and changing things up thats what people want.

Also no1 says you need 100 odd caps to be a captain but it was a close game and putting some1 whos not been a captain before making the decisions is silly experience matters in close games. who would you have given the armband because im a fan of pom but giving the armband to a man in his first cap is cheapening what should be a great honor.
    Of course it's a great honour, never said it wasn't. Ferris or Heaslip I'd say, either would be fine with me. No way would I give it to ROG after the WC, what sort of captain would threaten to quit if not picked? Also, ROG is not the only player who can close out a tight game either.

I just realised something - I mix soccer player Stephen Ireland up with Keith Earls. Anyone else have this problem. I have started to think of the two players in the same way, so Earls is not coming out of it too well! I have been impressed with Earls in the six nations, he's improved as a player, and has not been talking too much either, which is a good thing.

I've been impressed by Earls too, he really has improved. England will be his biggest test though, hasn't really come up against a decent 13 so far.

Given the amount of time he has had to get it right, I still think there are other players who could have done just as well if not better given equal opportunity. However the man I thought was in prime position (Cave) is injured, so I am no longer too worried about Earls filling in there.

Basically, unless Earls becomes a truly international class 13 (I don't think he will) I would rather see some others tried too.

D'arcy hasnt scored a competitive try in the 6n for 4 seasons or so, but as an inside cetre, thats not his job, its to make the hard firt few yards, put his body on the line & let others benefit from his work. His defensive abitities are top notch too, and yes, when you put your body on the line, you pick up knocks & injuries. My point is that he has played for Ireland for 13 years, almost completely first choice in that time, and yet, he has only played 5 times against england, injuries & strains take their toll & certain players have to be rested & wrapped in cotton wool at times.

And the fact that a broken/shattered arm kept him out of the game for a long time and nearly ended his career.

And the fact that a broken/shattered arm kept him out of the game for a long time and nearly ended his career.
    Yes indeed, that cost him a year out of the game, 5 games played out of a possible 12 against England, add that 1 for the broken arm & its still only 50%. Its not his fault of course, but i believe that if D'arcy was starting out in the pro game today, with the tailored fitness programes, specific regimes for certain bodytypes, he would maybe have played 10/12 perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I don't understand the comparison :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

He may have made his debut in 1999 but he wasn't first choice for Ireland in the centre until 2004. He only had 5 caps between 1999 and 2003.

• Advertisement

He may have made his debut in 1999 but he wasn't first choice for Ireland in the centre until 2004. He only had 5 caps between 1999 and 2003.
    Ok, take it as the 03/04 season was his big breakthru (Gatland had played him at 19, not afraid to give youth its chance) still thats 9 seasons, it just shows that the attrition & injury rate is quite high in certain postions, thats all.

Advertisement