Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil in River

Options
  • 11-03-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

the last few days ive got a strong smell of oil or diesel around the town in New Ross and this morning as i walked over the bridge i noticed the river Barrow is full of some kind of oil floating on top of the water, its the whole way from the galley as far as sids garage and as far down the river as i could see from there... Does anyone know where its coming from? i was thinking mabey those oil tanks beside the dunbrody ship on the quay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Those Emo tanks used to be full of HFO ( heavy fuel oil ) so its unlikely to be from them , if you are getting the smell of diesel .

Would more likely come from a vessel berthed in New Ross , and apart from the famine ship and Galley , there is now a cargo ship at Rosbercon.

But of course you also have the yachts at the marina .

Best to contact the NR Harbour Master in the harbour office

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

i was thinking mabey from the boat at staffords alright, but on that side of the river there is no oil at all, but the whole way down the quayside on the town side the water is covered in it, its not just an odd drop it must be gallons and gallons of the stuff to be taking that much effect and be so visable in the water.. im surprised the people on the marina or dunbrody ship havnt spotted it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its well known nowadays that when the diesel tanks are been robbed , the thieves spill more diesel than they put into cans , so maybe they have punctured a tank close to the river .

Or it could be a lazy millionaire parked on the Marina , doing an oil change .

I don't think it would take a huge amount of oil to cause a slick .

Advertisement