Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music- Achieving the A

• 11-03-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. So basically i'm looking for an A in Higher Music. An A1 would be brilliant but I would be delighted with an A2 all the same. I got a B3 in the Mock (75% Listening/ 65% Composing). We didn't have a Practical.
    I feel my practical should be good, i'm in Grade 7 Piano and am doing 2 Grade 5 and 2 Grade 6 pieces so they're not overly difficult to prepare. I'm also doing Music Technology and can do all the necessary inputs, edits etc. in 8 minutes.
    Really, it's the actual paper i'm preoccupied with. I did quite well in the Listening in the Mock, but I feel it was an easy paper. My Composing was a disgrace. The examiner marked it too easy and in my Q.5 I put the Minor (stupidly) on the 5th instead of the 6th chord. I'm not sure how to improve my composing paper (Q.1 + Q.5) and my teacher is less than helpful.
    Also, i'm not actually sure how to prepare for the Listening paper, again should I try to continually listen to the Set works and Irish Music or what?

I apoligise for the elongated post, I just really need to get an A and i'm extremely unsure of where to start!

Thanks for any help in advance guys, I truly appreciate it! :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I'm no expert on the topic, but I'll give a few things that my teacher's always saying to do, if that helps!

For the Listening paper, what she always says is that the clue is in the name - it's a paper to test your listening abilities. In my class for example, people will know that at one point in Romeo and Juliet, the Love Theme is played by the cor anglais and viola. So if they hear the Love Theme, they'll write that down, even though if you were to listen, you'd clearly hear that that time it's played by the flute and oboe. In other words, it's all well and good learning some things off, but you really have to have good listening skills as well. But do make sure you know the works inside out!

For the essays you need to make sure you give specific musical examples. The idea behind them is that you've listened to the music, not just learned off notes. Having said that, they're only 10 marks so don't worry about them too much - I got 7/10 for my essay on
    Sean Nós
    in the mocks simply by writing about features and mentioning a few famous performers.

Give as much detail as you can in your answers, particularly when it says something like "Describe what happens to the music after bar 12." We have a handy mnemonic for music description in school: DIMPAT. It pretty much covers all bases and stands for as follows:
    D - Dynamics
    I - Instruments
    M - Metre/Mood
    P - Pitch/Period
    A - Atmosphere
    T - Tempo/Tonality/Texture/Timbre

Be familiar with different styles and eras of music for Q6, be able to recognise what style the excerpts are. Usually it'll ask you to relate it to one of your set works too, so make sure you can find the link.

For the melody composition, has your teacher given you a structure to follow? What follow a specific structure for each bar in class and it really helps. Make sure you don't have any huge leaps in the music, or that you don't stick around the same few notes either. Know what notes go together and which ones don't sound good together. Vary your rhythm around, and NEVER use syncopation. Basically, be creative but don't go mad :p Know how to do upbeat melodies and minor melodies (we haven't done minor melodies yet so I can't help there). And make sure you can pick a suitable instrument and add phrasing and dynamics (again, we haven't done dynamics yet so I can't give advice on that specifically)

For the backing chords, make sure you can identify cadence points and insert suitable chords at those points. But don't worry if you can't make a cadence, sometimes it won't work out like that. Know which chords sound good going together, and remember rules like 2 can't go to 1. Know good chord progressions (I - vi - IV - V, I - vi - ii - V, etc) Use first inversions if necessary, or just to add a bit of variety, but never double the third (i.e., using the chord A/C for example, if the note in the bass is C). Make sure you add in a suitable bass. If you find that hard, just do a simple bassline that matches the chords - you'll get most of the marks.

The main thing to focus on though is the practical, because that is the most important part. Be able to do your pieces and your technology blindfolded and you'll be fine, also don't neglect the unprepared test. I don't know how many marks it's worth, but there's no point losing out on them when it's relatively easy.

Like I said, this is just what my teacher recommends, I'm not saying that I do all of these things or that I get perfect grades or anything (Got a B2 in the mock), but it is good advice nonetheless! :P Sorry for the gigantic post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Thanks a million! I'm not even sure what I got in each section as for some bizarre reason our Teacher hasn't given us back our Mocks! I think my Practical should go quite well, I know my pieces and in my graded exam (where they listen in greater detail) I haven't gotten less than 18/20 in each piece! My composing paper is the one i'm beginning to freak out about, would you suggest just to keep practising or what? Any ideas on how to improve my Backing Chords Question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Well like I said I'm no expert and hardly perfect myself. Practising is always a good idea, just keep doing examples and handing them up to your teacher (if they're willing to mark them that is). I don't have much advice on the backing chords other than what I said above really. I tend to do fairly well in them, but I think that's just because I'm quite mathematically minded so that question appeals to me more than the melody writing. Sorry that I can't offer much help in that regard!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

Is there anyone at all that you could get to give you a little help in the composing? Even just a couple of hours of work on that with someone who knows their stuff would be really helpful I'd say because really there's a very small limit to what you need to know for that compared to the set works where they can ask anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spouch

I have found this website FANTASTIC spam URL snipped

Just summarises the whole thing

<mod> It doesn't though, does it? It tries to sell you notes.</mod>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

With the chords question, forget all the rules for the chord progressions that you know. Try your very best to use nothing but chord I, IV and V. They are the primary chords and those 3 in any format will sound good.

With the base, just remember to follow the pattern that is given as closely as possible, but the note of the chord in the base, be careful about passing notes and make sure that your notes don't clash (that the note in the melody and the bass aren't a 2nd apart eg A and B at the same time)

With the melody, it's pretty much been said. Get a good simple structure down. Have the progression for the last bar worked out before (Mi-rey-doh stuff) Remember to put in your phrase marks, dynamics and pick a good instrument (try for violin if it's there). With the content of the melody, make sure that it has a good shape (moves from low to high), a few nice leaps (I like to throw in a few 5ths and an octave somewhere but you have to move by step after that) and really really make sure that you get some height, get up to one ledger line.

I got a B2 in my mock, but an A2 in my composing section :)

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

You know when u have an upbeat say its 3/4 time and the upbeat is a crotchet how dou do the phrasing if your doing them as commas cause in my mocks(which were sent away) i put a phrase mark in bar 4,8,12 and 16 to end the piece but the corrector scribbled out the one in bar 16!! I asked my teacher but i dont think she really knows what to do herself so just wondering if any one knows what to do!! Or even if you understand where im coming from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

checkcheek wrote: »
    You know when u have an upbeat say its 3/4 time and the upbeat is a crotchet how dou do the phrasing if your doing them as commas cause in my mocks(which were sent away) i put a phrase mark in bar 4,8,12 and 16 to end the piece but the corrector scribbled out the one in bar 16!! I asked my teacher but i dont think she really knows what to do herself so just wondering if any one knows what to do!! Or even if you understand where im coming from

Well you don't need a phrase mark at the end (double barline, i may be wrong though). Also, if you have an anacrusis (upbeat) you place the phrase mark above the note which would leave an upbeat of the same value as the first in bar 4/8/12. so if its a crotchet upbeat in 3/4 you'd put it on the second beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

ChemHickey wrote: »

Well you don't need a phrase mark at the end (double barline, i may be wrong though). Also, if you have an anacrusis (upbeat) you place the phrase mark above the note which would leave an upbeat of the same value as the first in bar 4/8/12. so if its a crotchet upbeat in 3/4 you'd put it on the second beat.

I may be wrong so correct me please if i am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

ok cool, now more questions, sorry but its just stuff im wondering and i have my music practical on monday!! yipeee NOT

Anyway, just out of curiosity when ye are doing music technology are u going to use the mouse stuck in the laptop or are u doing them on computers with a seperate mouse!!!

Also does anyone know how to do an anacrusis in finale notepad!!!.

And one more question!! You know if you have 2/3 bars the same in your technology piece, can u just copy and paste to save time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

And one more question!! You know if you have 2/3 bars the same in your technology piece, can u just copy and paste to save time

No, that's the examiners problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

clunked wrote: »
    No, that's the examiners problem.
    What do you mean that's the examiner's problem? :confused: As far as I'm aware you're allowed to copy and paste?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Apologies for not being clear enough. The examiner's problem is to ensure that the exam is completed in a particular time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spouch

Spouch wrote: »
    I have found this website FANTASTIC spam URL snipped

Just summarises the whole thing

<mod> It doesn't though, does it? It tries to sell you notes.</mod>

I don't think it does I think there's a fair balance of advice and free notes and stuff for sale. She doesn't seem like the trying to extort type. I've emailed her a q before and she got back to me. No charge.

Advertisement