Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating to Las Vegas

Options
  • 11-03-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guys

An opportunity may of presented itself for me and my gf to emigrate to Las Vegas from Ireland, I will get a good job (income tax free), relocation package, visas etc

Does anyone have any experience of living there? I wont be living in the centre, and will want to avoid it 95% of the time, just live in the suburbs, work and maybe visit the strip the odd time, probably when friends come over and visit

I'm just wondering on peoples experience of living over there? I know its very hot, so will be looking for a house with a pool and air con!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Not living there, but have a friend who does and have stayed with him and his wife. Las Vegas outside the main entertainment area is really very similar to any other biggish US city- including watch the subdivision you move to as some are dodgy. Air Con will be easy, you would have difficulty finding a home without it. Pool should not be a problem, if you get the sort of job that pays a re-location package, you'll make enough salary for it. If you don't drive yet, learn you WILL need a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Hi guys

An opportunity may of presented itself for me and my gf to emigrate to Las Vegas from Ireland, I will get a good job (income tax free), relocation package, visas etc

Does anyone have any experience of living there? I wont be living in the centre, and will want to avoid it 95% of the time, just live in the suburbs, work and maybe visit the strip the odd time, probably when friends come over and visit

I'm just wondering on peoples experience of living over there? I know its very hot, so will be looking for a house with a pool and air con!!

Thanks in advance

I've only ever been on holidays but flying in you see that a lot of houses have a pool and most apartment complexes have one too. Air con is pretty standard in every home in the States, especially in places like Vegas. So I'd say it'll be fairly easy to find a place that ticks both of those boxes.

I spoke to a bloke over there once who was working on the construction of the Hoover dam bypass and he lived in Vegas. He was saying that apart from the initial novelty, he only went to the strip when he had friends or family from out of town visit. I'd say this is probably true for a lot of locals.

As silja said, you will need a car as they don't have Spars or Centras on every corner and in a lot od residential areas, you can be a good walk from a 7-11 or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It sounds like fun!

Las Vegas is famous right now for the slump that its experiencing particularly in real estate.

But if you're all sorted for jobs, visas etc then you probably wont even notice.

Check out craigslist for ads for Houses, Vehicles etc.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I live in Vegas right now. If you want info PM me and I can try and help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I know one guy who lives there and he said that outside of downtown there's quite a lot of very dodgy neighbourhoods. Quite a high crime rate also, might be worth bearing in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Don't rent anywhere near the strip, Fremont St or anywhere in North Las Vegas.
    Everywhere else is fine. Summerlin/Green Valley/Henderson/Spring Valley and the Southwest are all really nice places to live.
    There's no more crime in Vegas than anywhere else. It has good and bad neighbourhoods.
    I live on the Westside and love it. I get a gorgeous view of the mountains every day.
    The horror stories only come in to play before you move here. Once you're here you realise it's like everywhere else.

Advertisement