Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Fresh - Advice on Utilities Please

Options
  • 11-03-2012 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,
    Not sure if this is the right thread to post this on bit could realy do with advice.
    We are moving house at last and using it as a fresh start. We wasted so much money in past couple of years not least on bad management of utility.

So I'm wondering and hoiping you can save me a shed load of time by advising on best provider and value fo money for the following:
    Electricity
    TV- NTL, Sky etc...
    Broadband
    Landline
    Mobile
    Oil (Galway based)
    Bins (Galway City)

Thats all I can think of for now. I'm down to part time hours so its critical that we mnage the little money we have coming in. Thanks so much in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

MinesaG&T wrote: »
    Hi,
    Not sure if this is the right thread to post this on bit could realy do with advice.
    We are moving house at last and using it as a fresh start. We wasted so much money in past couple of years not least on bad management of utility.

So I'm wondering and hoiping you can save me a shed load of time by advising on best provider and value fo money for the following:
    Electricity
    TV- NTL, Sky etc...
    Broadband
    Landline
    Mobile
    Oil (Galway based)
    Bins (Galway City)

Thats all I can think of for now. I'm down to part time hours so its critical that we mnage the little money we have coming in. Thanks so much in advance.
    ESB for the electricity
    Free to air set-up and Saorview for free tv forever after initial installation cost.
    Broadband and landline - Vodafone at home
    Mobile - Meteor
    Not in Galway so cant comment on the oil or bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MinesaG&T

Thanks Foggy Lad. Was wondering if there was one provider that could do Broandband, Mobile, Landline in one cheap package.
    The Free View Channels - how are they set up and who does it? any idea of cost for set up?
    Also, wasnt Airticitiy suppoed to be cheaper then ESB, has that changed?

THank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

MinesaG&T wrote: »
    Thanks Foggy Lad. Was wondering if there was one provider that could do Broandband, Mobile, Landline in one cheap package.
    The Free View Channels - how are they set up and who does it? any idea of cost for set up?
    Also, wasnt Airticitiy suppoed to be cheaper then ESB, has that changed?

THank
    Vodafone do the cheaper broadband and home phone but meteor have the better deals for mobile. there is no company AFAIK doing deals for all three.

free to air requires a satellite dish and you might need an outdoor aerial for saorview. installers usually charge a lot for putting up a dish and setting it up but it is easy enough to D.I.Y. as long as you can find the Astra satellite at 28.2E and don't have to climb on the roof. you will also need a satellite receiver but an old sky box will do or receivers can be bought for as little as €30 on adverts.ie. you may need a saorview box but many newer televisions are capable of receiving saorview.

google free to air set-up and you should get full details and videos of what you need

AFAIK the ESB are cheapest for electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

foggy_lad wrote: »
    free to air requires a satellite dish and you might need an outdoor aerial for saorview. installers usually charge a lot for putting up a dish and setting it up but it is easy enough to D.I.Y. as long as you can find the Astra satellite at 28.2E and don't have to climb on the roof. you will also need a satellite receiver but an old sky box will do or receivers can be bought for as little as €30 on adverts.ie. you may need a saorview box but many newer televisions are capable of receiving saorview.

You can see a channel list here. For the ones listed under Saorview (the Irish channels, basically) you'll need either a Saorview capable TV or a cheapish third party box along with an aerial (you may get away with an indoor aerial in Galway city, but I don't have first hand experience). For the rest of the channels you'll need the satellite dish as foggy_lad describes. The systems are separate although you can get boxes that do both.

Only just got rid of my UPC TV service. Glad to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue - moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement