Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

invasion of privacy/Video posted without permission

• 11-03-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi Boardsies,

I have very close friend who isnt on boards so i'm posting on her behalf.
    Shes in a bit of a pickle and looking for some advice before she goes tothe gardai about the matter.

What has happened is that a video that she is in was taken at a function without her permission and has been posted online.
    She is very distraught at this as she was drunkand it is hurting her image a lot.

The person that owns the video has shown no remorse for the video and continues to re -post it online and to friends of both parties.

Is there anything legal that can be done to stop this or for some punishment for the video owner??

There is nudity in the video.

Any Advice greatly appreciated,

Sashiee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Ever hear of closing the door after the horse has bolted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Sashiee

godeas16 wrote: »
    Ever hear of closing the door after the horse has bolted?

Thats not really advice now is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MaxyJazz

Link to video please

if no serious answers I will ask for post to be deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

My (very limited) understanding is - if its in a public place she has no recourse.

• Advertisement

it wasnt in public.
    it was in a residential (private) area.

Sashiee wrote: »
    it wasnt in public.

Who's house? Hers?

Jesus... hope none of the naked videos of me acting the bollocks ever surface :P

it wasnt in public.

Public place means anywhere that the public have access to regularly or as a matter of course. In England a person's front living room was held to be a public place for the purposes of indecent exposure where the curtains were open as the public could, as a matter of course, see in to the room.

Also if the person who took the video was invited and was not a trespasser then the issue of privacy in terms of the action is somewhat moot.

Public place means anywhere that the public have access to regularly or as a matter of course. In England a person's front living room was held to be a public place for the purposes of indecent exposure where the curtains were open as the public could, as a matter of course, see in to the room.

Also if the person who took the video was invited and was not a trespasser then the issue of privacy in terms of the action is somewhat moot.

any information on what on what it says in Ireland??

The curtains were closed and the room door was shut.

The person who took the video entered without permission and it was unknown to my friend that he was there until the video was brought to light a couple of days later.

LOL you're gpoing to have to be a bit more specific!

I have a feeling this is going to be a fun thread...

• Advertisement

kinda perverted really!

The person who took the video entered without permission and it was unknown to my friend that he was there until the video was brought to light a couple of days later.

English decisions are persuasive here. I was using it as an example.

I don't want to know anymore about this as you're being a little too argumentative, which is perfectly understandable given the emotive nature of the issue, and I don't think you'll find any satisfaction here. If she's worried about it speak to a solicitor and/or the Gardaí. The internet is causing this woman's problems but it cannot also be the solution.

Event better...

Seriosuly though how was this person "uninvited?" Soulds like a lodger barging in on a swingers party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Sounds like a party at which the bedroom door was not locked, in my view and this is only my view it's a pretty weak case but do go to a solicitor for consultation or report the incident to the guards.

Agreed - might just scare the poster of the material off. Probably some obsenity law that can be invoked.

Just watch out though if she was screaming OH GOD OH GOD it might fall foul of the blasphemy laws :P

Kayroo wrote: »

English decisions are persuasive here. I was using it as an example.

I don't want to know anymore about this as you're being a little too argumentative, which is perfectly understandable given the emotive nature of the issue, and I don't think you'll find any satisfaction here. If she's worried about it speak to a solicitor and/or the Gardaí. The internet is causing this woman's problems but it cannot also be the solution.

Thanks for your reply, I don't understand how I am being argumentative I simply asked for advice on Irish law if you had any?

She will be pursuing this with the Garcia bit was just looking for a bit of advice/ information from the lovely members of this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Was it a "function" or a "private house" eg. A bedroom or living room?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

OP: Could the data in this thread prejudice a legal action?

She will be pursuing this with the Garcia

Sounds like she already did...

Sorry tried to resist...

Thread looks like its up for a delete anyways :(

Tom Young wrote: »
    OP: Could the data in this thread prejudice a legal action?

I don't think it would I don't plan on divulging any more information on her if I can help it !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Did the person enter the house with permission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Isn't this how Kim Kardashian got famous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Avatargh

She will be pursuing this with the Garcia

Ex-Liverpool midfield-slash-forwards won't help her much. He plays in Mexico now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Hi Boardsies,

I have very close friend who isnt on boards so i'm posting on her behalf.
    Shes in a bit of a pickle and looking for some advice before she goes tothe gardai about the matter.

What has happened is that a video that she is in was taken at a function without her permission and has been posted online.
    She is very distraught at this as she was drunkand it is hurting her image a lot.

The person that owns the video has shown no remorse for the video and continues to re -post it online and to friends of both parties.

Is there anything legal that can be done to stop this or for some punishment for the video owner??

There is nudity in the video.

Any Advice greatly appreciated,

Sashiee

Just curious (and I have no interest in seeing the video), where is the video being posted online and how is the person is distributing it?

If it's by e-mail have a look at what email address is being used to distributing and who is reposting it. Might be an angle there. If the person lacks the common decency to stop posting the video they may be stupid in other respects.

You could also apply social pressure. Does the parents/employer/family/partner of this person know what they are at? Generally, these people behave in such a way because they feel the Internet is anonymous and there is no repercussions. You're friend is already embarrassed so that position won't change. So try sharing the heat.

BTW if the event was a party, you won't have much truck with the fact that the person was uninvited. Plenty of people turn up at parties uninvited.

Advertisement