Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanic book

Options
  • 11-03-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all,

Could someone please recommend a good book on the Titanic?

There's a plethora of books on the subject out there and I don't know which one to choose from...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭IrishMark

I suppose it depends what you're looking for. Would you like a tragic family story a la the 1998 movie? Or perhaps an informative non-fiction account of the causes and wider effects of the sinking on methods of ship-building?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 de Faoite_girl

Good point. No, I'm not looking for a love story but rather an informative non-fiction account of what happened on that day. I'd also be interested in knowing more about the wreckage/personal items retrieved, etc.

All in all, just a non-fiction work covering the subject.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Good point. No, I'm not looking for a love story but rather an informative non-fiction account of what happened on that day. I'd also be interested in knowing more about the wreckage/personal items retrieved, etc.

All in all, just a non-fiction work covering the subject.

Thanks.

I've been stocking up on Titanic books lately! Read 2, in the middle of a 3rd and have one more to go!

101 Things you thought you knew about the Titanic but didn't is a good overview and goes through a lot of the rumours/stories/conspiracy theories plus uses survivor stories and extracts from, the US and UK investigations and trials. It comes up with a lot of info that isn't well known and is quite fascinating (for me as a Titanic obessesor anyway!)

The Band played on is a really good book giving a different look at the Titanic story. It's about the band on the Titanic and looks at their stories, the way they played as the ship went down and the aftermath for their families.

I'm in the middle of Shadow of the Titanic at the moment and I'm enjoying it. It talks about Survivor's stories of the Titanic but it's main focus seems to be on what happened in their lives afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 de Faoite_girl

Thanks for that. Just bought the first two!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Thanks for that. Just bought the first two!
    Glad to hear it! Hope you enjoy them! I'm a real Titanic nerd so I'm getting all The books That I can find/afford! I'm further into Shadow of the Titanic and I would definitely recommend it! It gives a real insight into the aftermath of the disaster for those who survived and how their lives were affected

• Advertisement
Advertisement