Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and Cons of MacBooks...

• 11-03-2012 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm looking into buying my first laptop and I'm wondering what's so good about MacBooks. The one I'm looking at currently costs $1,600 or €1,220, so I really want to know if paying that much for one would be worth it. What makes them so great?

Also if anyone has any disadvantages of them I'd love to hear those too!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sports_

a windows pc is better. macs are good but over priced compared to windows. i would buy a mac if it was aound 700 euro not 1200 for a basic enough model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Pro: they're gorgeous

Con: they're made by Apple

If you compare performance and specs, you get pretty much the same elsewhere for half that money.

If you're worried about your software, no problem, they can run Windows (which kinda defies the idea of buying an Apple computer) since they're using the same components as everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Fair enough. Is their anything that justifies the price of Macs though?

Also, I might as well post a few reasons why I'd like a Mac:

1.) They're beautiful!
    2.) They're really slim and lightweight
    3.) They have iMovie
    4.) I'm assuming they're fairly fast
    5.) ...

That's actually all I can think of right now!

Cons:

1.) The price
    2.) They don't use Windows so I'd imagine they can be a bit awkward seeing as most people use Windows

I'm sure there's more!

Togepi wrote: »
    Is their anything that justifies the price of Macs though?

They have restaurants and swimming pools in their sweatshops, which, according to the late Steve Jobs, makes them "pretty nice for a factory". :D

Torqay wrote: »
    They have restaurants and swimming pools in their sweatshops, which, sccording to the late Steve Jobs, makes them "pretty nice for a factory". :D

Oh yeah, I forgot about the sweatshops... On second thoughts I think I'll keep my €1,220, not that I actually had anywhere near that much in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

apple_fanboy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm looking into buying my first laptop and I'm wondering what's so good about MacBooks. The one I'm looking at currently costs $1,600 or €1,220, so I really want to know if paying that much for one would be worth it. What makes them so great?

Also if anyone has any disadvantages of them I'd love to hear those too!

What do you want it for?

If it's for web surfing and such, then a PC laptop is just fine, and will be a lot cheaper.

If you want it for digital editing (photo processing, video processing, etc) then a macbook is much better, and worth the price.

Paulw wrote: »
    If you want it for digital editing (photo processing, video processing, etc) then a macbook is much better

Care to elaborate? I say this is a myth: since the hardware (Intel Core CPU, AMD Radeon HD graphics) is the same, it can only be a matter of the software and most top programs in each realm are available for both platforms (if you discard Sony Vegas, which is Windows only).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Care to elaborate? I say this is a myth: since the hardware (Intel Core CPU, AMD Radeon HD graphics) is the same, it can only be a matter of the software and most top programs in each realm are available for both platforms (if you discard Sony Vegas, which is Windows only).

Yes its a marketing myth. In fact, given the same hardware specs, most programs will run better on Windows 7 than on OSX.

deconduo wrote: »
    Yes its a marketing myth. In fact, given the same hardware specs, most programs will run better on Windows 7 than on OSX.

From practical experience, it's not a myth.

Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, PhotoMechanic all run faster on OSX than on Windows.

I have a MacBook Pro - 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 8GB ram, 750GB HDD.
    I also have a desktop PC - i7-3930K 3.20GHz, 16GB ram, 240GB SSD, etc.

I find that the MacBook Pro is faster at processing, especially bulk processing of images.

I can only that either the Mac OS is better at handling the code, or the applications are better enhanced to use the OS and hardware than on the Windows machines.

Either way, when I need things done quickly, I use the Mac. When I have more time, everything goes through the PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

It is a total myth, historically they were more efficient today its not so true especially when you go down the road of comparing what you can get for your money apple vs windows machine.

Its like how when you buy a new mobile phone the staff always tout the stupid line of

"charge that for 24 hours before you use it now..." that was for batteries with memory of the Ni-Cad make up... times have moved on but it sounds intelligent so it continues to be spouted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Paulw wrote: »
    From practical experience, it's not a myth.

Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, PhotoMechanic all run faster on OSX than on Windows.

I have a MacBook Pro - 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 8GB ram, 750GB HDD.
    I also have a desktop PC - i7-3930K 3.20GHz, 16GB ram, 240GB SSD, etc.

I find that the MacBook Pro is faster at processing, especially bulk processing of images.

I can only that either the Mac OS is better at handling the code, or the applications are better enhanced to use the OS and hardware than on the Windows machines.

Either way, when I need things done quickly, I use the Mac. When I have more time, everything goes through the PC.

Then you are doing something very very wrong. There are numerous benchmarks that show otherwise. Do you have Windows 32-bit on your computer or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Pros:

Virus-free
    Immediate start-up/shut-down
    Handy utilities like Automator to do any kind of mundane repetitive tasks
    Time machine for backups
    Painfree plug and play plus network connecting (none of this windows stand on your head with your router strapped to your left foot while simultaneously typing the passwords in 12 languages with the middle toe of your right foot and it still doesn't work crack)

Cons:
    Price
    Service - have to go to an Apple shop to get it fixed (and yes they do break down)
    Suffering the abuse if jealous owners of ugly laptops:D

deconduo wrote: »
    Then you are doing something very very wrong. There are numerous benchmarks that show otherwise. Do you have Windows 32-bit on your computer or something?

I'm not "doing" anything different. Workflow is identical on both.

Windows 7 Professional, 64bit.

I must dig out my resource monitor where at one stage Lightroom (on the PC) is using almost 16gb of ram. I've yet to see anything close to that happening on the mac.

Oh, and this MacBook Pro is my first ever mac.

Pros:

Virus-free
    Immediate start-up/shut-down
    Handy utilities like Automator to do any kind of mundane repetitive tasks
    Time machine for backups
    Painfree plug and play plus network connecting (none of this windows stand on your head with your router strapped to your left foot while simultaneously typing the passwords in 12 languages with the middle toe of your right foot and it still doesn't work crack)

Cons:
    Price
    Service - have to go to an Apple shop to get it fixed (and yes they do break down)
    Suffering the abuse if jealous owners of ugly laptops:D

Im sorry but I think you should elaborate on that because that statement is utter b****x.

Also Automator... wow ya like macro's? no way wow another thing apple didnt invent.

Virus-Free = Myth. Its true they are less likely but this is purely because the majority of viruses are written to hit as many people are humanly possible and macs dont fill that criteria.

3 operating systems benchmarked on the same Core i5 iMac:
    while Windows 7 and OS X Lion gained similar overall results - Lion is slightly faster in image editing, Windows in video encoding and multitasking - the new version of Ubuntu is a revelation. It was around 17 per cent faster than its rivals in both image editing and video encoding, and slightly quicker in multitasking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Odd though. Everything I've seen in the last four years has said otherwise. Including Adobe themselves who now view OSX as a second Tier to windows development.

Including Adobe themselves who now view OSX as a second Tier to windows development.

Keep in mind that Adobe has a whole rake of axes to grind with Apple. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Keep in mind that Adobe has a whole rake of axes to grind with Apple. :D
    ... to put it very mildly - it was only a flash in the pan anyway or was it down the pan? :rolleyes:

mathepac wrote: »
    ... to put it very mildly - it was only a flash in the pan anyway or was it down the pan? :rolleyes:

It was Adobe who made Apple abandon their beloved Motorola chips and go hat in hand to Intel (the horrors!) when they announced to cease support for Powermacs. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

As a mac user the pros for me would be it's software and build quality but I do agree that they're over priced.

OSX is very easy to use, stable and fast. It doesn't tend to degrade over time in the same way Windows does.

I use apps like Aperture and Logic a lot which I love but i'm sure there's Windows equivalents that do exactly the same things at a similar price.

If you can buy a macbook pro in the US then you're getting one at a fair price.

I'd be using it for college and maybe gaming, but the college work would involve using SolidWorks and PhotoShop. I'd also have a small interest in using it for video editing.

I'd be using it for college and maybe gaming, but the college work would involve using SolidWorks and PhotoShop. I'd also have a small interest in using it for video editing.

Forget about mac's for gaming anyway, unless you are a casual gamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I remember once firing up solitaire on my old macbook and the fans went mental.

Yeah I'd only be a casual gamer.

I'd be buying a Mac in America too, there's no chance I'd pay the Irish price for one. Even the American price is a bit much for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Build quality goes the the macbook from what I've seen of their laptops. PCs just don't go near the macs when it comes to the shell because PC manufacturers know that for the most part people won't pay that premium for a PC.

Everything else is on a par. The last CS5 version of Adobes software even has added features for rendering out effects using your graphics card which according to the manual was windows only.

Bar the case and the differences in how the software is used on a daily basis you won't notice much of a difference in how the software runs on the same piece of hardware but by going with PC you would be able to afford faster hardware which at the end of the day is all that really matters.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ScumLord wrote: »
    Build quality goes the the macbook from what I've seen of their laptops. PCs just don't go near the macs when it comes to the shell because PC manufacturers know that for the most part people won't pay that premium for a PC.

Everything else is on a par. The last CS5 version of Adobes software even has added features for rendering out effects using your graphics card which according to the manual was windows only.

Bar the case and the differences in how the software is used on a daily basis you won't notice much of a difference in how the software runs on the same piece of hardware but by going with PC you would be able to afford faster hardware which at the end of the day is all that really matters.
    Its all relative really. The top of the line Dells, Asus machines have excellent build quality, you will get a decent laptop with rival build quality to a Mac for a lot less. Although won't look as "fasionable" :P .
    You can forget Macs for gaming, but for casual gaming you should be ok. Keep in mind you may need to invest in a Windows license (an aditional €100~) to install Windows in bootcamp. Many game makers don't bother porting to OSX. It all depends on what you need really, most people who get Macs like them, but don't be under any illusion that they are better performance wise than other machines, virus free (on a lower scale Macs do get targeted, the "Mac Defender" scam being a recent one) or that they are completely easier to use. Perhaps in some cases, although many people have had issues with Wireless connection issues in OSX, burning issues to name a few I've seen recently. You do get the odd cheap hardware manufacturers who make devices with Windows only drivers, so look out for that as well.
    Edit: Just seen you need to use SolidWorks in college. Keep in mind that is a Windows only program, and CAD programs generally need decent video card so you would need to be looking at the "top end" of the Macbooks along with buying a Windows license.

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

yoyo wrote: »
    Its all relative really. The top of the line Dells, Asus machines have excellent build quality, you will get a decent laptop with rival build quality to a Mac for a lot less. Although won't look as "fasionable" :P .
    Dells have sunk an awful a lot in my estimation. They used to be a rock solid Business PC maker but they've turned to cheap, underpowered consumer muck in the last decade. I don't rate them at all any more.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ScumLord wrote: »
    Dells have sunk an awful a lot in my estimation. They used to be a rock solid Business PC maker but they've turned to cheap, underpowered consumer muck in the last decade. I don't rate them at all any more.

I agree the newer Dells arnt all that great, having said that though the business oriented Latitude machines are decent. It really is a case of "you get what you pay for" when it comes to build quality, obviously a €2k MBP will be better built than a €500 Dell :).

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

OP check out ultrabooks if you're going for looks, Windows laptops and slimmer than macbooks I hear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement