Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics vs Business Studies (Subject Choice)

• 11-03-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭

In your opinions, should I choose Economics or Business for Leaving Cert? I just want a few opinions, tbh. I wish to do Accounting (and Geo. and French). I'd like to do LCVP which means two Business or two Sciences and obviously, I wish to do two Business.

Which is a better choice; Economics or Business? Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Pen Rua wrote: »
    In your opinions, should I choose Economics or Business for Leaving Cert? I just want a few opinions, tbh. I wish to do Accounting (and Geo. and French). I'd like to do LCVP which means two Business or two Sciences and obviously, I wish to do two Business.

Quick note: You might get a better response to this in the LC thread.. Maybe ask a Mod to move it! :)

Back to your question,
    It depends on you really... what are your interests? Which parts of JC Business did you like the most? Geography and Economics is supposed to have a slight over lap but I would just do it because of that.. Maybe try to get a look at the textbooks.. Ask a teacher, Im sure they'll oblige!! :) Good Luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moved to Leaving Cert. forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Pen Rua wrote: »

Hey there, despite my overwhelming workload i'll take a few minutes to help you out. I do both Business and Economics (business in school and Economics as an external subject).

I achieved an A1 + A2 in Business and Economics respectively in the Mock. I love Business and have an amazing teacher, I think the course is handy enough and have revised the course a lot. I do a lot of exam questions and ended up with 92.25% in the Mock.

I started Economics last year outside of school myself after realising 5 Higher Level subjects just wasn't enough. I bought Rapid Revision Economics and Exam papers and started working off the easiest topic in the book. I have never attended a class, had a teacher or homework etc. for Economics and ended up with an A2 (87%) in the Mock.

If I had to give my opinion on the courses in terms of simplicity- Business in the one to go for. If you want a slightly more challenging, but more enjoyable, repetitive and understandable course go for Economics.

If you can't get both, i'd advise you to take Economics outside of school. It's actually so handy and I know if you were determined enough you'd get the course done in 1 year as I did, and you'll probably end up with an A grade! Drop me a PM if you need any other help!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Hey there, despite my overwhelming workload i'll take a few minutes to help you out. I do both Business and Economics (business in school and Economics as an external subject).

I achieved an A1 + A2 in Business and Economics respectively in the Mock. I love Business and have an amazing teacher, I think the course is handy enough and have revised the course a lot. I do a lot of exam questions and ended up with 92.25% in the Mock.

I started Economics last year outside of school myself after realising 5 Higher Level subjects just wasn't enough. I bought Rapid Revision Economics and Exam papers and started working off the easiest topic in the book. I have never attended a class, had a teacher or homework etc. for Economics and ended up with an A2 (87%) in the Mock.

If I had to give my opinion on the courses in terms of simplicity- Business in the one to go for. If you want a slightly more challenging, but more enjoyable, repetitive and understandable course go for Economics.

If you can't get both, i'd advise you to take Economics outside of school. It's actually so handy and I know if you were determined enough you'd get the course done in 1 year as I did, and you'll probably end up with an A grade! Drop me a PM if you need any other help!

Thank you for your help :) Makes sense. My Business teacher briefly mentioned that Business is just a bit more detail or the theory from the Junior Cert course - so maybe that would make more sense as less time would be needed. I might consider Economics outside of school! Some teachers say you can cover it in a year, so it may be worth looking in to and getting Revsion books, as you said. Thanks for your advice - I'll take it in to account, it helps!

(Thanks to the mod, for the move too!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I'd recommend economics because, well in my opinion, it's a lot more interesting than the extremely boring business. Also, you can predict economics more easily and well.. it's just a lot better than business!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aki

Hello, i am currently in fifth year doing eight subjects.
    I'm hoping to get medicine and so i need close to 600.
    Im good at five of the eight(Biology,chemistry,ag science,french and german)

IM okay at english and average at irish and maths.
    I want to ensure i achieve my best and so im thinking of picking up an extra subject to boost my chances of getting the A1.

However, im torn between choosing economics or business or geography.

I am the sort of student that will work very hard and i usually do well in the subjects where you are purely rewarded for excellent studying.

Is economics tough and can i pick it up and start in the summer?
    Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭mariok

100% go for economics. Its a much smaller course than business. Also, economics is virtually unavoidable at the moment so you'll find it a lot easier to use your common sense with it, rather than with business with the planning, organising, controlling, zzzzzzzzzz etc questions.

Economics, you'll fly it :)

Thanks for your oppinion :).........
    You dont think geography or history is easier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jaidee

I know that, if you are good at figures, and are a clear, methodical thinker, are focussed and determined, then Accouting is an excellent subject to study at Leaving Certificate.
    Economics is a much shorter course than business and is more interesting, challenging and rewarding. A study of both Accounting and Economics is a great boast for studying those subjects at third Level. Best wishes to everybody!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jaidee

You should study Accounting as you are hardworking, determined and focused If you need any advise in this regard, please don't hesitate to contact me here!!!

• Advertisement

Hello picture frame,
    I was just wondering, is it possible to pick up economics now....
    I'm currently in fifth year and I would like to increase my chances of getting the a1.

I plan on working through the summer.

Do I just need rapid revision to study it ??

Can you work through it alone and achieve. Thanks
    Responding would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

aki wrote: »
    Hello picture frame,
    I was just wondering, is it possible to pick up economics now....
    I'm currently in fifth year and I would like to increase my chances of getting the a1.

I plan on working through the summer.

Do I just need rapid revision to study it ??

Can you work through it alone and achieve. Thanks
    Responding would be greatly appreciated

I personally believe it is possible to take it up at this stage and achieve a good grade. I can't comment on you achieving an A1 as I do not know how dedicated you'll be, how much interest you have in it etc. If you work over the Summer you'll have the course done by November easily. I love it but am not relying on an A1 in June, it would be absolutely AMAZING to get but i'd be happy with an A2 just the same!

I personally believe it is possible to take it up at this stage and achieve a good grade. I can't comment on you achieving an A1 as I do not know how dedicated you'll be, how much interest you have in it etc. If you work over the Summer you'll have the course done by November easily. I love it but am not relying on an A1 in June, it would be absolutely AMAZING to get but i'd be happy with an A2 just the same!

Thanks for responding,
    You achieved higher in business in the mocks.....
    I personally have no real interest in the subject...
    But I am willing to work.....
    Is it accurate in saying business has a slightly bigger course but a little easier in learning than economics??
    Secondly, I think to really progress in economics you have to have a great deal o interest in the subject...... Would you rank business as the easier of the two..... If so, is it possible to take it on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Thatguy97

Hey, would you recommend Economics or Business as a better complimentary subject to Accounting? I mean which one has more relevant information for Accounting? I was just wondering which would go hand in hand with the subject? Any replies would be much appreciated!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Accounting is really the odd one out. Business and economics overlap, but business and accounting really only share ratios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

* My Business teacher briefly mentioned that Business is just a bit more detail or the theory from the Junior Cert course - so maybe that would make more sense as less time would be needed. *

ok no......... maybe it is just me but leaving cert business is ALOT more detail than junior cert and alot of time is needed to learn all the theory ,i liked the subject but it is not the easy way out!
    Many in my class were a bit surprised how difficult it is to get a high grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Thatguy97

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Accounting is really the odd one out. Business and economics overlap, but business and accounting really only share ratios.

So you would say Economics then. I heard that ultimately, Accounting is for the purpose of making economic decisions. I am determined to be an accountant when I leave school and therefore want to obtain the best basic knowledge possible for it in my LC subjects. And as well, I intend on doing history so economics would overlap slightly with the economic part of history. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Thatguy97 wrote: »
    So you would say Economics then. I heard that ultimately, Accounting is for the purpose of making economic decisions. I am determined to be an accountant when I leave school and therefore want to obtain the best basic knowledge possible for it in my LC subjects. And as well, I intend on doing history so economics would overlap slightly with the economic part of history. Thanks for the reply.
    Oh well I didn't do economics or accounting :P What I meant was that with so little overlap in business and accounting, I imagine economics would have less. You could do all 3 but that might be a bit of overkill haha. Geography overlaps a lot with economics/business if you do the economic elective, but I'm not sure if history and economics have a lot in common, probably a bit though. No problem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 saif.khalid14

yes , so for econmics u just need rapid revision and work it ur self if i am dng it outdside school.lastly did u learn everthing in the rapid revision by heart or did u use an econmics book as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Saif, welcome to Boards! :)

Please note that this is a text-speak free zone! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement