Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRC

Options
  • 11-03-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭

Bring back the boards irc channel. it was on quakenet if i remember correctly but it got shut down because bubbles was causing too much trouble iirc. Or if anyone could grant me access to the old irc forum that would be awesome too.

Anyone remember the thread about that dude who got a €50 taxi in to town from Maynooth to have sex with the the guy pretending to be a girl on the phone at 3 in the morning, and the whole conversation was recorded and orchestrated from the boards.ie irc channel?

Bring it back!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that wasn't the boards irc channel, that too was bubbles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I remember that. I also remember Seamus' sleep induced admining bubbles posing as Dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

D wrote: »
    I remember that. I also remember Seamus' sleep induced admining bubbles posing as Dev.
    Thanks, I was hoping that hadn't been forgotten.
    Sheeps wrote: »
    Anyone remember the thread about that dude who got a €50 taxi in to town from Maynooth to have sex with the the guy pretending to be a girl on the phone at 3 in the morning, and the whole conversation was recorded and orchestrated from the boards.ie irc channel?
    Yeah, there were a lot of complete cunts on IRC at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

seamus wrote: »
    Thanks, I was hoping that hadn't been forgotten.

<3

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Anyone remember the thread about that dude who got a €50 taxi in to town from Maynooth to have sex with the the guy pretending to be a girl on the phone at 3 in the morning ...
    He's still on Boards actually, tho' he had the sense to change his username.

And while he was royally set up, I'm sure he's not the only one of us ever to go home from a night with blue balls when we expected the outcome to be very different! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

+1. Perhaps even our own server? Some websites have their own and it would be pretty cool to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

cocoshovel wrote: »
    +1. Perhaps even our own server? Some websites have their own and it would be pretty cool to be honest.

I recall looking into something similar before a while ago. Not all hosting companies allow IRC traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is not a hope in hell that boards will provide an official IRC service ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Bring it back!

Anyone got a link?

He's still on Boards actually, tho' he had the sense to change his username.

And while he was royally set up, I'm sure he's not the only one of us ever to go home from a night with blue balls when we expected the outcome to be very different! :p

Wasn't he banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

seamus wrote: »
    There is not a hope in hell that boards will provide an official IRC service ever again.
    Thought as much. Still fun to remember the good old days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Nearly as much fun as the W******c***k thread. :cool:

Oops, redacted, but moral is, never post in feedback when you come home píssed from tamangos.. :D

I think just a single channel on Quakenet would be fine then. Cant be that hard to create it and run. Designate a few aops and ops, advertise it on the site or wherever then see how it develops. Whats the worst that can happen? It wouldnt even have to be as heavily moderated as the forums, but still should be moderated a fair bit as to not let it get out of hand.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This is why we need the Biki to be brought back. Nobody knows the site's history any more...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This is why we need the Biki to be brought back. Nobody knows the site's history any more...
    Tell me about it.. I had to explain to someone what a Benevolent Dictatorship was tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I think just a single channel on Quakenet would be fine then. Cant be that hard to create it and run. Designate a few aops and ops, advertise it on the site or wherever then see how it develops. Whats the worst that can happen? It wouldnt even have to be as heavily moderated as the forums, but still should be moderated a fair bit as to not let it get out of hand.

IRC can be a pain to moderate sometimes. Spammers are a problem too.
    However I would like one. Its a while since I fired up irssi :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

People rhapsodiaing about Bubbles and Amp Cards is a bit like listening to your Ma and Da constantly droning on about the Beatles and Elvis and their other memories of long-dead, shit cliques.

Apologies if thats directed at me. Im aware of the history of the site, just not of the minor details like irc's. Judging from past posts it wasnt very good but I think something from the past shouldnt get in the way of a new leaf.
    IRC can be a pain to moderate sometimes. Spammers are a problem too.

I dont think its too much of a pain to moderate. Ive never noticed spammers being too much of a problem on quaknet or other servers but I dont really be in channels larger than about 80 people.
    One board on here already has an irc channel, sort of.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

#boards and #boards.ie still exist (on Quakenet), though of course are wholly unaffiliated with boards.ie Limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

I think setting up an IRC Chat Room for each forum is a better way to go,
    and have it run by the mods, or by trusted regulars of that forum.

You can set up a linkable IRC Chat Room fairly easily with Mibbit...

www.mibbit.com

And people can use this Web based Mibbit client to login, without having to install an IRC client.

It's the most user friendly way of getting people into the channel, even people who have never even heard of IRC can use it!

And those who do have IRC clients can simply add the server: irc.mibbit.com
    and the channel they want to join.

I did it today for the Arcade & Retro forum, and it's pretty sweet.

You can put a link to the room in your signature like I have done.

Probably best to keep the Rooms "unofficial" so that Boards admin wont have to deal with them, and boards cannot be held responsible for any misbehaviour.

Having one IRC channel for the whole site is just asking for trouble.

Better off having people who are passionate about a certain topic in the one room.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MugMugs wrote: »
    Wasn't he banned?
    I meant the victim, not the perpetrator ... ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement