Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clematis Cuttings/Propagation?

Options
  • 11-03-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I have a large established Clematis in one part of my garden that seems to be thriving and flowers abundantly etc.

I also have a long ugly length of concrete block wall I'd love to improve the appearance of.

So the grand plan is to take a lot of cuttings using how to guides such as this one link

I'd be hoping to go for volume and take a lot of cuttings and with a bit of luck hopefully enough will root and survive for me to plant out in time at the base of this wall and of course its all free - Well hopefully for a minimal spend anyhow!!!

The main concern I have is the 6-8 weeks where it seems that these cuttings need 'bottom heat' and to be kept at 20-25 degrees, but yet need light (?)

Can anyone on here please suggest some practical way that I might be able to achieve this?

Nearest I can think of is to rig up a few planks horizontally inside my fair sized west facing garage window and lay out the pots there - But the temp is fairly cold in this very draughty garage so obviously the project would be doomed to failure from the start.

Would be interested in hearing how I might be able to rig some sort of a large DIY propagator to get this job done.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

buy a small electric propagator for about 40 e. it 'll have lots of use, i'm finding that the grey skies we're getting is slowing seeds down. the bottom heat does the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks for that, must check this out - So just work out how many pots I can fit in one or two of these and situate inside Garage window to get as much light as possible?

- Seems like it should work :)

Anyone here that's done this then please send on any other suggestions you might have - I'm sure to kill these somehow along the way!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Raiser thanks for starting this thread. I have a Clematis that was that is growing from a cutting of a clematis that is over 100 years old. The colour is very beautiful and very unusual. The cutting our clematis is growing from involved getting some of the root. This was done by a relative. I am just wondering if anyone has heard of this.

We also have some other colours clematis and are hoping to train them into each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I fill the bottom of the propagator with compost, usually john innes, so a bit gritty and sandy, I leave it to get to temperature and then I plant the cuttings, ie a bit of stem with a bud. I trim the leaves, and dip it in hormone rooting powder. You trim the leaves so the plant concentrates on growing roots.
    the other method is to layer it, but that can take 1 year to 18 months. Get a trailing branch and make a little nick under a bud, then firmly pin it down with a hairpin,( the lose wavy ones), wait for it to root. I have a success rate of about 5 plants to 20 cuttings.
    Warm soil promotes root growth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Can you root clematis in a jar of water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hmmm - Like the sound of your rare 100 year old beautiful clematis specimen!

- Would be great to swap various cuttings wouldn't it?!?

Ours is gorgeous too and thriving on zero maintenance so def deserves respect!

@ At Degsy, I'm no expert, but did a bit of reading and the actual experts advise against it, say the roots are more slender etc. best bet is a plastic propagater somewhere indoors and some rooting hormone and yer done for under a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

I have propagated Clematis Montana, (Evergreen and vigorous) easily from cuttings in June. No heat or special care required. I do dip them in rooting hormone and keep the compost moist but not wet. Leave cuttings in a sheltered area, out of direct sunlight. Mist occasionally. They will root in 2-3 weeks. Transplant to indivdual pots on new growth.
    Consider the White and Yellow "Grandiflora" rather than the more ubiquitous Pink "Rubens".
    http://www.plantadvice.co.uk/photos/gallery/27e5c3ef14a8203db57721adb9ca8a94.jpg

Advertisement