Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading GPU & PSU in Dell Inspiron 530s

Options
  • 11-03-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

Hey People,

Looking to upgrade my graphics card. I have a Dell Inspiron 530s. Slim line case I know!

I use the PC for the internet mostly and some gaming. Mostly MMO's like Worl of Warcraft, (more specifically Aion). The reason I want to uprade the card is for that.

Looks like I need to upgrade the 250watt PSU to a 300watt PSU. Will this do or is there a better one for my needs? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151090

Now to the GPU itself. Again I just want it for an extra kick while playing Aion. Is this any good? Would you recommend something better? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151090

I have a dual core 3ghz processor, 4 gigs of ram. Is there any other information I can give to help?

Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: also where is best to buy from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You will get better advise on components from others but thought I would say that I don't think newegg ship to Ireland, but if they do you could get caught for duty on top of whatever you pay.

You will also need to check if it is a low profile graphics card that is required for that case as that is one of those slim dell PCs is it not? This would restrict your options when selecting a GPU, if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From google:

http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showthread.php?t=66579

Its likely a GPU upgrade wont help much. I ran into similar issues with League Of Legends.

What I'd look at is seeing if your mobo will allow you to swap up your CPU to a quad at a similar or slightly lesser clock.

What GPU do you have in it atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Well that's disappointing, upgrading the CPU sounds expensive. But it makes sense when I think about it as the tower makes a lot of noise and the fans a blowing really hard while playing the game sometimes.

The current GPU is an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro

If you keep an eye on second hand sales you could do it for reasonable money. Adverts.ie and ebay are the prime spots.

That said, GPU is pretty shocking, so you might see an improvement from changing it. What res monitor are you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I'm using a Dell E228WFP at 1680 * 1050.

Is it worth doing do you think, I wonder would I be better off selling in and building a new machine. Don't have any real experience with it though other than changing a graphics card once.

• Advertisement

Depends on how interested in gaming you are. Realistically if you're going to be playing a fair bit then low profile cases and thus cards arent really where you want to be at. If you have €400 that'd get you a basic build that should decimate the 530s at least. Using the right parts you could allow for some upgrades further down the line(a new GPU, more RAM, Overclock with a new cooler).

Advertisement