Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kamikaze roadrunners

Options
  • 11-03-2012 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

im pretty sure footpaths were put down around the city for pedestrians , bus lanes for buses and cycle lanes for cyclists, so why a lot more lately am i meeting people running in cycle lanes and the buslane , wearing a hi vis vest dont mean it excludes you from getting pulped on the side of the road for your stupidity....... around 8pm the other night met runners coming toward me in the cycle lanes on both sides of the dunmore road which is narrow enough for two cars to just pass safely , is there some problem with the footpath that i dont know about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

It's the running out into the road when they cross it without even looking that's more worrying. It's only a matter of time before a runner is invovled in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

A lot of people seem to be taking the cycle and bus lanes as their personal space alright :rolleyes:

One thing I've noticed is that people have started parking on cycle lanes all over the city - particularly on roads where nobody would have risked parking before. Somebody needs to explain to these people that the roads aren't actually any wider than they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

deisemum wrote: »
    It's the running out into the road when they cross it without even looking that's more worrying. It's only a matter of time before a runner is invovled in an accident.

This. Thank fuck I dont drive at any kinda speed coming out of the industrial estate or else id have 2 of them in my bonnet from thursday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I drove into town about 7.30 on Thursday and the place was heaving with runners, around the Cork Road/Manor St area. Some of them were wearing hiviz jackets but in the sodium lights they are not that noticeable.

Negotiating the roundabout was a bit alarming, its true they just keep coming and assume the drivers will just happen to be looking at them as they launch into the road. Many of them must be drivers themselves in an alternative life, so why the disregard for the traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Kill the lot of 'em. Mow those fuckers down. Each. And. Every one of them.
    Get the cyclists too, eco friendly wankers. Who or what the fuck do they think they are?
    And vegetarians. Subhuman leaf-eating bastards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

looksee wrote: »
    Negotiating the roundabout was a bit alarming, its true they just keep coming and assume the drivers will just happen to be looking at them as they launch into the road. Many of them must be drivers themselves in an alternative life, so why the disregard for the traffic?

I was coming onto the roundabout at ardkeen stores coming from the hospital yesterday at around 12 when two fellas in their 30's came flying on from the left in front of me. I had to slam on my breaks and stop on the roundabout and when I beeped I got the finger and something shouted at me. Cyclist on the Dunmore road just seem to have a death wish and soon that wish is going to come through. They seem to think that just because the dress like they are in the Tour De France they are cycling on a closed road, I don't think they realise how ridiculous they look.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

They avoid the paths because it means negotiating the people on them, moving in and out, stopping and starting etc. The roadway/cycle areas are a bit wider with less traffic for them I suppose.

Could be worse. You have idiots on the old Tramore road both walking and jogging away. Its a very narrow tight road with bends in most places so when you move out to overtake, your putting your life at risk.

Three times on my way into town today it happened. Some fella walking and a girl with her dog - both stepped in to be fair, but it was still risky. Than the jogger who didn't move, resulting in me having to move out further to the other side of the road as I went around a bend with another car coming feet away from hitting me. This is an almost daily occurance and people take that road with some speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nas10

Hoffmans wrote: »
    im pretty sure footpaths were put down around the city for pedestrians , bus lanes for buses and cycle lanes for cyclists, so why a lot more lately am i meeting people running in cycle lanes and the buslane , wearing a hi vis vest dont mean it excludes you from getting pulped on the side of the road for your stupidity....... around 8pm the other night met runners coming toward me in the cycle lanes on both sides of the dunmore road which is narrow enough for two cars to just pass safely , is there some problem with the footpath that i dont know about?

The reason being is simple because footpaths are made of solid concrete and there is no give at all and the roads all though it sounds silly does have some give in it so most runners run on it as it does reduce the impact on knees and hips, there is also less risk of getting injured due to stepping in and down kerbing and also avoiding dogs dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

Nas10 wrote: »
    The reason being is simple because footpaths are made of solid concrete and there is no give at all and the roads all though it sounds silly does have some give in it so most runners run on it as it does reduce the impact on knees and hips, there is also less risk of getting injured due to stepping in and down kerbing and also avoiding dogs dirt.

But cars are made from metal and travel quite fast. I think they would do a lot more damage than the footpath or dog dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nas10

That is true, I guess they are just hoping the person in the car is aware of them. Myself I stick to the footpaths but have done a couple of ankle strains on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The whole running on a footpath thing is a myth. This 18 year study shows that there was little to no increase in the development of osteoarthritis in the knee, and also that running provides valuable training and lubrication for various body joints to enhance cartilage health.

So get off the fooking road!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

some do it to try avoid dog sh!t ,

• Registered Users Posts: 23 denis behan city legend

Well, if they're in the cycle lane they're not doing anyone any harm (ok, ok, I'm one of those pain in the ass runners too). I run in them on occasion and it's not like we've hoards of cyclists in the city of an early morning or evening when I'd be out running. I always look when crossing the road and when cars slow down to let me pass I always smile and give a thumbs up. There's definitely more give in them and it's easier to run on those lanes.

Sorry for being a pain but you'll have to get used to us exercise junkies. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Running is a sport and perhaps people should start looking towards using facilities that were designed for it.

If I and a gang of lads started playing football on the Dunmore Road there would be chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

hardybuck wrote: »
    Running is a sport and perhaps people should start looking towards using facilities that were designed for it.

If I and a gang of lads started playing football on the Dunmore Road there would be chaos.

Wow.

No to everything you've said there, just no.

People do use the RSC all the time, but there's also a branch of running called road running, it's just a group of people, occasionally out on the roads. People need to chill out a bit. Better that people are out running than taking drugs, robbing cars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

People do use the RSC all the time, but there's also a branch of running called road running, it's just a group of people, occasionally out on the roads. People need to chill out a bit. Better that people are out running than taking drugs, robbing cars etc.

Road runners arent problem when theyre aware of their surroundings. Its the ones who seem to be convinced theyre gonna win a battle with over a tonne of metal thats the problem.

Road runners arent problem when theyre aware of their surroundings. Its the ones who seem to be convinced theyre gonna win a battle with over a tonne of metal thats the problem.

Fair point, life would be easier if we didn't see everything as a battle, a little bit of give and take on both sides would help too. Feel the love maaaaaaaan. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I genuinely thought this thread was about the suicidal pheasants on the old kilmeaden road that seem to love to play with the traffic! I almost ran down two joggers outside the three shippes over the weekend that were oblivious to my indicator and the fact I was turning into Canada street. I can't understand their mentality because I cycle to most places and always watch out for the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭lynnemc

i do a bit of running, always on the footpath though. and ya know what pisses me off is people parking their cars so far on the footpath that pedestrians have to go around their car ! thick f**kers leave a gap for prams !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Fair point, life would be easier if we didn't see everything as a battle, a little bit of give and take on both sides would help too. Feel the love maaaaaaaan. :p

I don't see that there has been any suggestion of a battle in this thread. At their most cynical, drivers do not want the hassle of having to get their cars repaired after mowing down a runner. I don't think anyone is that cynical, they are just baffled at the lack of concern for their own safety shown by some runners.

I am well prepared to 'give and take', except that if I take someone's life or mobility because they are not paying attention to the road, I will not be able to give it back. Motorists obviously are taking notice and taking care, otherwise more runners would be mown down, we are just looking for a bit of co-operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I don't see what the problem is if people run in the cycle lanes. It is illegal for cars to drive in them so the runners and cars should never come into contact.
    I do however have a problem with the runners who think they own the road and think they're invinsible at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

I have no problem with people running on the roads. What i do have a problem with is they're lack of consideration for other road users. If you use the Dunmore Road on a Saturday or Sunday morning you will find scores of people running, but they are running 3 abreast. Now if you come around a corner and you meet this, and a vehicle coming in the opposite direction, it’s a dangerous situation. Run in single file people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I have no problem with people running on the roads. What i do have a problem with is they're lack of consideration for other road users. If you use the Dunmore Road on a Saturday or Sunday morning you will find scores of people running, but they are running 3 abreast. Now if you come around a corner and you meet this, and a vehicle coming in the opposite direction, it’s a dangerous situation. Run in single file people!!

Yeah 2 or 3 abreast running on the road then running across the road at junctions without even glancing behind to see if there's a vehicle turning left or right is a regular feature on the Dunmore Road. If a child ran out across the road like that people would be very quick to point the finger at the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

lynnemc wrote: »
    i do a bit of running, always on the footpath though. and ya know what pisses me off is people parking their cars so far on the footpath that pedestrians have to go around their car ! thick f**kers leave a gap for prams !
    I don't run but do walk quite a bit and this one totally wrecks my buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

deisemum wrote: »
    Yeah 2 or 3 abreast running on the road then running across the road at junctions without even glancing behind to see if there's a vehicle turning left or right is a regular feature on the Dunmore Road. If a child ran out across the road like that people would be very quick to point the finger at the parents.

+1

Absolutely despise all of these things! I sometimes wish I was heartless enough to drive over these inconsiderate fcuks. I appreciate that people are out getting a bit of exercise but, even if they're running, they have to realise they are still pedestrians and have to act accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Encountered a road runner earlier today on Rockshire Hill, right at the pedestrian lights where the road narrows. He was out past the double yellow lines and running oncoming to traffic

Very nearly smashed into him! Got an "Omg I'm running here" glare when I tooted the horn :(

So dangerous

Advertisement