Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do now???

Options
  • 12-03-2012 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there,

I have graduated from U.C.C. with a degree in Nutritional Sciences and am trying to get into Dietetics in the U.K. However it is starting to feel impossible!!!:eek:

I have been let go from my job in the food industry as my contract was up. All I want to do is Dietetics and work with people. It really is my dream job.

I'm feeling hopeless and don't know what to do if I don't get it. Any job I apply for respond saying I need >1-2 years experience in the food industry, I only have 6 months. How am I supposed to get experience if they won't give it to me? I don't want to be on the dole. It's depressing. I don't mind going to Australia or abroad but what if I get there and every food company there will have the same response.:(

Please help

CeeCee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Would any of these places be willing to take you on as an intern?
    http://www.jobbridge.ie/Intern.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ciara84

Abby19 wrote: »
    Would any of these places be willing to take you on as an intern?
    http://www.jobbridge.ie/Intern.aspx

the sad thing is sometimes employers dont look at "internships" as real-world employment I did an internship in one of my college years at Lehman Brothers for 8 months, after I graduated I went back and worked for them 16 months (total work experience adding up to 2 years), I went and did my MBA, and when I got out, I applied for a job at Wells Fargo which required 4 years of work experience (Knock 2 off if you had an MBA), so I thought I had that covered but apparently, they dont count internships as employment experience (and it wasn't like I was some student doodling and drooling at their desk, I was paid and everything, I was a full time employee), however another place I applied to counted all of my experience and I got the job I wanted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ciaraloux

CeeCee87 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have graduated from U.C.C. with a degree in Nutritional Sciences and am trying to get into Dietetics in the U.K. However it is starting to feel impossible!!!:eek:

I have been let go from my job in the food industry as my contract was up. All I want to do is Dietetics and work with people. It really is my dream job.

I'm feeling hopeless and don't know what to do if I don't get it. Any job I apply for respond saying I need >1-2 years experience in the food industry, I only have 6 months. How am I supposed to get experience if they won't give it to me? I don't want to be on the dole. It's depressing. I don't mind going to Australia or abroad but what if I get there and every food company there will have the same response.:(

Please help

CeeCee
    Hi! I am in the exact same position as you, I graduated from University of Ulster with a degree in Human Nutrition. All I want to do is Dietetics, unfortunately I haven't been accepted this year were you?? I don't know what to do with myself. So hard to even get volunteer work in the hospitals :(

Advertisement