Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nice route for a spin around town?

• 12-03-2012 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

So I've started seeing this girl recently :cool: and it turns out she's a little bit into bikes. Thing is, she's never been out on one before.

I promised to take her out for a spin soon. Can anyone recommend a good route I could take? I'd probably be departing from either around the Tallaght area or town.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Good stuff! Nice one on finding a girl into bikes. Believe me, it makes things easier! :D

As for a route, I'm sure you don't want to be filtering through heavy traffic? If you're leaving from Tallaght, why don't you take the N81 from Tallaght and head to Blessington and go on from there. Nice roads, great scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Good stuff! Nice one on finding a girl into bikes. Believe me, it makes things easier! :D

As for a route, I'm sure you don't want to be filtering through heavy traffic? If you're leaving from Tallaght, why don't you take the N81 from Tallaght and head to Blessington and go on from there. Nice roads, great scenery.

Was just about to say the N81.

Lovely road, and you only need to go as far as you want, then turn around and come back.

P.C. wrote: »
    Was just about to say the N81.

Lovely road, and you only need to go as far as you want, then turn around and come back.

Yep, that's it exactly. It's ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

yep, all the way down the n81, right down to blessington, though vallymount or hollywood, laragh etc

nice spin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Cheers lads, I just need a nice day now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

dceire wrote: »
    Cheers lads, I just need a nice day now :D

good luck with it!!

not sure if you've carried a pillion before but just dont forget that your stopping distance with a pillion is CONSIDERABLY more than without... dont learn the hard way :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If you are departing from Tallaght you might as well head up through blessington - but turn off and head through the gap towards larragh. I'd say turn off before hollywood as the N81 gets a bit boring. Try this route: http://g.co/maps/2p8gs - you could then go home this way: http://g.co/maps/fwkgz

Just don'/t go to fast to scare her - good luck!

Zascar wrote: »
    Just don'/t go to fast to scare her - good luck!

Good advice, otherwise she'll never sit on the back again! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah let her get really comfortable - don't overtake or accelerate to fast. Once she gets to like it you can advance to that in time. Then in the summer you can stop off in the forrest for a quickie!

Zascar wrote: »
    Yeah let her get really comfortable - don't overtake or accelerate to fast. Once she gets to like it you can advance to that in time. Then in the summer you can stop off in the forrest for a quickie!

Yep! Or a skinny dip in a secluded lake. Your options are endless! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Be sure to post back the date and details so we can ogle this burd and rob your bike and gear... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Organise some warm clothing - boots, gloves, warm trousers etc. She won't enjoy cold and draughty.
    The figure-hugging leather cat-suit can wait 'til warmer weather - for biking purposes, I mean

peckerhead wrote: »
    Be sure to post back the date and details so we can ogle this burd and rob your bike and gear... :pac:

LMFAO!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Your choice of trips might be limited by whatever kind of bike you have OP, e.g. a honda 50 would be a bit of a chore over the hills of Wicklow but the skys your limit with a decent sized bike, I'd recommend the loop out to Howth, Portmarnock and Malahide, always a nice spin. p.s. you beat me the the Record Sprint on adverts, I'll have to be quicker :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

jameshayes wrote: »
    good luck with it!!

not sure if you've carried a pillion before but just dont forget that your stopping distance with a pillion is CONSIDERABLY more than without... dont learn the hard way :D

yup, and dont bother telling her to lean into bends with you, she'll just do the opposite.

some good spots to run out of petrol up there too before remembering the reserve tank switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Don't forget to check your insurance to make sure you're covered with a pillion passenger. Some policies don't cover it unless you state it.

Did you get your full license? Can't go 2-up without one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

So I've started seeing this girl recently :cool: and it turns out she's a little bit into bikes. Thing is, she's never been out on one before.

I promised to take her out for a spin soon. Can anyone recommend a good route I could take? I'd probably be departing from either around the Tallaght area or town.

Cheers

Have you been out for your spin yet?

Let us now how you get on.

P.C. wrote: »
    Have you been out for your spin yet?

Let us now how you get on.

Yeah, dying to know here!!! :cool:

Hi guys, thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I know it was ages ago that I posted this thread but for a plethora of reasons we only made it out on our little spin yesterday evening.

Just to clear a few things up; I'm riding a CBF 500, hadn't carried a pillion before but am insured to do so.

I picked herself up from work in town around five and took things real easy to begin with. I think the two of us were a little bit nervous at the beginning but I soon got a feel for it and she became comfortable. After making a short stop off, we hit the N81. I just kept things very smooth the whole way out to Blessington and then followed the route suggested by Zascar; I had pretty much done the same route before but had never completed the full circle back into Dublin. We stopped in Laragh for some tea and then continued on through the mountains. Took it nice and slow given all the bumps, sharp turns and sheep :D. The sun even made an appearance on the way back.

Great day overall, she loved it ;) thanks again to all you guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

This thread is NOTHING WITHOUT PICS!!!!! :eek::p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Can I just ask if the OP is actually legally covered to take a pillion passenger with regards licence type and insurance??

Dont want to be a killjoy...but if something bad were to happen,and you were not legally covered to have a pillion...then you are in a lot of trouble.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can I just ask if the OP is actually legally covered to take a pillion passenger with regards licence type and insurance??

Dont want to be a killjoy...but if something bad were to happen,and you were not legally covered to have a pillion...then you are in a lot of trouble.

Well - he said he's covered....(obviously if he's on a provisional he's not!)
    Just to clear a few things up; I'm riding a CBF 500, hadn't carried a pillion before but am insured to do so.

Glad you had a good day dceire - hopefully the first of many great days together on the bike! What was her take on it BTW? Was she happy enough?

Well - he said he's covered....(obviously if he's on a provisional he's not!)

Just to clear this up, again :D, I have my full licence a year now and paid the little bit extra on the insurance to cover a pillion; only around 15/20 euro extra i think it was.
    Glad you had a good day dceire - hopefully the first of many great days together on the bike! What was her take on it BTW? Was she happy enough?

She loved it. She was a little bit apprehensive at first, especially when she saw where she would be sitting :p but once we took off she really enjoyed it; especially when we got into the twisty bits. Good day all round :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Hey lad congratulation on the new girl , respect ....and as for routes keep it simple no need to be goin out of your way...if you leaving from tallaght hit the wicklow gap ...

follow thos lovely roads through the sally gap really doesnt get any nicer than dat, if ya hit them about 4 in the afternoon youll get the sun on blessington lake , whole ride shudnt take anymore than 2 hours at a nice pace

, plus ya get to go right past the place that Reign of fire was made, if shes a matthew mcconaughy or christain bale fan ...putty in hands springs to mind ...

Have fun Brother

war_child wrote: »
    , plus ya get to go right past the place that Reign of fire was made,
    ?? Where's that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

it was up about 15 miles after ya pass thru the sally gap , an old foundry that was on the side of a hill , the exact location ill have to get backto ya on as its been about 6 years since i did that run , but the route we took rode us right by it bloody brilliant

Advertisement