Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVidia 560Ti or Radeon 6870?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Which is better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Looks like the NVidia 560Ti ...

Click the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Akarinn wrote: »
    Looks like the NVidia 560Ti ...

Yes, slightly better performance, the Radeon wins in the bang-for-buck category though.

VBcwk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Just a small thing, but the 6870 also has eyefinity which lets you use 3 monitors from the 1 card.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

While true, the type of person who will go for the value for money option that these two cards represent....is the type who will only have one monitor anyway.

People who want the slightly gimmicky feautres like 3d and eyefinity will usually go for the high end stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

as oppose to gimmicky features like PhysX

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Overheal wrote: »

PhysX in the new breed of nvidia cards looks like it is going to be far from being a gimmick anymore.

watch from 1.27 on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rfdKDyVo_P4

Oh and also 4 screen per card in these cards too.

Op I have had the 560ti and currently have the 560ti 448 core edition and it is a great card.

I have tested these cards vs a friend 6870 in latest games such as bf3 and skyrim and sometimes i see a 20 fps difference with the nvidia being better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Overheal wrote: »

I would consider 3d, eyefinity and Physx to be gimmicky. Physx actually has some real world value by making games better and more realistic and becoming a regular part of games.....but as long as it is limited to nvidia only, it will remain under utilised and remain a gimmick to sell their cards. It needs to be adopted by everyone for it to be properly useful and that won't happen.

So as it stands, gimmick.

Bingo. I have great time for all those gimmicks but they need to be more accessible. Even eyefinity requires displayport, and we know how well that has taken off. Nvidia buying out PhysX was the worst thing to happen to the tech :( it means only select games feature any of the benefits, and at that, they don't affect gameplay and for the most part aren't that eye dropping. If it were standardized like DirectX, that would be something. You'd see a lot more developers gung ho for incorporating stuff like that into the game design.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Limericks wrote: »
    I have tested these cards vs a friend 6870 in latest games such as bf3 and skyrim and sometimes i see a 20 fps difference with the nvidia being better.

Definitely something wrong there. did he have the latest drivers installed?

the 6870 is usually far cheaper and pretty much the same in everything except for Dirt3 and Civ5, which greatly favours nvidia.

Some benches OP:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540?vs=547

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Save yourself some money and get the 6870. I have one and intend to get another one to run in CrossfireX in the future, though it plays everything I want right now with Max settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Definitely something wrong there. did he have the latest drivers installed?

the 6870 is usually far cheaper and pretty much the same in everything except for Dirt3 and Civ5, which greatly favours nvidia.

Some benches OP:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540?vs=547

he is talking about 560 ti 448 core edition, which is a choped down gtx 570. it is more expensive card, so its not fair to compare it to 6870.

both of them are prety much same performance in real world. i would just go for the one i could get cheaper.

chamlis wrote: »
    Save yourself some money and get the 6870. I have one and intend to get another one to run in CrossfireX in the future, though it plays everything I want right now with Max settings.
    im underwhelmed by the actual performance boost achieved by crossfire. you're better off spending more money on a better single card solution. And as its been pointed out to me, nvidia is a bit more prudent with driver updates for their cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

he is talking about 560 ti 448 core edition, which is a choped down gtx 570. it is more expensive card, so its not fair to compare it to 6870.

both of them are prety much same performance in real world. i would just go for the one i could get cheaper.

Yes I am, but before I had the 448 core 560ti I had the regular 560ti and performance wise vs my friends 6870 it was much better. While it would not have been anywhere near 20fps better it was still quite a bit. This coupled with Nvidias better drivers makes the difference I think.

I'm gonna be losing the 448core 560ti though soon and upgrading to keplar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Limericks wrote: »
    Yes I am, but before I had the 448 core 560ti I had the regular 560ti and performance wise vs my friends 6870 it was much better. While it would not have been anywhere near 20fps better it was still quite a bit. This coupled with Nvidias better drivers makes the difference I think.

I'm gonna be losing the 448core 560ti though soon and upgrading to keplar :)

i just did that ;). from 570 to 680 :D. now waiting on my dell u2312hm!

Advertisement