Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poached eggs

Options
  • 12-03-2012 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi just wondering how to make a really good poached egg and suggestions on what to have them with? I remember my dad doing them years ago but anythin I try it just looks like a flat fried boiled egg!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

"Flat" poached eggs? How are you cooking them?
    If possible - use very fresh eggs. The white holds together better when fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mark2k10

boil the kettle and throw it into a pot and bring the water to boil, throw your egg in, give it a few minutes and... capeeshe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Put a dash of white vinegar in a pan of salted simmering water,
    crack an egg into a small bowl or ramekin,
    swirl the simmering water around with the end of a wooden spoon and gently drop the egg into the middle of it.
    let it cook until the white has set nicely around the yolk.
    scoop the egg out with a slotted spoon and quickly place it in a bowl of iced water to stop the yolk cooking further.
    remove it then onto a plate with kitchen towel to soak the water.

I always have my poached egg on toasted brioche with sauteed mushroom.
    yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joanas

The best way I have found for poaching eggs is to wrap the egg in some cling film and twist the cling film round the top. Then drop the parcel into the boiling water and let it cook. Turns out perfect every time. Also forget to mention that you need to spray the clingfilm with some oil to ensure it doesn't stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭kc83

My first poached egg!!!! Thanks everyone for the help!!! I can cook the most difficult curries etc but god......the poached egg was getting me everytime!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭JPA

No boiling, bubbling pan of water, no vinegar, no swirling whirlpool.

Just get a sauce pan of water up to a very gentle simmer and gently drop the egg in from a cup or ramekin. Simmer for 3 or 4 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Similar to JPA but the "misses" puts a bit of oil in the low simmering water...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

This is how I do it and it works pretty well for me. I usually get a nice runny yolk middle surrounded by the white, like a parcel :) I prefer not to use the swirling method because I couldn't figure out how to do it with more than one egg, I always want two!

1- Put a drop of white vinegar into a measuring cup/ramekin/etc and break a room temperature egg into it. The fresher the egg, the better (you could probably get away without the drop of vinegar, it's just habit for me at this stage).
    2- Bring a large pan of water to the boil with a splash of vinegar, then reduce the heat until the water is just below simmering- a few bubbles breaking the surface but not vigourously bubbling.
    3- Lower your egg into the water using the cup/ramekin and tip it in (measuring cups are handy because they have a handle)
    4- Leave it for four minutes before removing with a slotted spoon onto some paper towels to get rid of excess water.
    5- Place on hot buttered toast, add a pinch of salt/pepper and enjoy.

The egg shouldn't taste vinegar-y at all... use less vinegar next time if it does.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

+1 for the clingfilm method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I got a tip from a colleague at work who said the hairy bikers did this -

place the egg (still in the shell) on a slotted spoon and lower into the bubbling water for 15 seconds, take spoon and egg out and crack egg in.

I did this last Sunday morning, and it worked brilliantly, no salt, no vinegar and no straggly bits of white all over the pot. Seems that the 15 seconds firms the white up a bit. Anyone tried this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

The cling film method is brilliant, but even better if you use a duck egg. So much more delicious gooey yolk :D think I'll make some now actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I got a tip from a colleague at work who said the hairy bikers did this -

place the egg (still in the shell) on a slotted spoon and lower into the bubbling water for 15 seconds, take spoon and egg out and crack egg in.

I did this last Sunday morning, and it worked brilliantly, no salt, no vinegar and no straggly bits of white all over the pot. Seems that the 15 seconds firms the white up a bit. Anyone tried this too?

That sounds great, Spanish Eyes. I have had no success with any other method in this thread. I will try yours at the weekend and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Buy one of those poaching saucepans, saves all the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Yeah, i could never get them half decent using the 'correct' technique. Bought a poaching pan and love my well formed poached eggs ! I've had a few horrible vinegar tasting eggs in cafes around town.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lakeland and Kitchendresser.ie both sell little disposable pockets for poaching eggs, they look like they're made from teabag-type paper. They look good but the postage costs more than they do.

Advertisement