Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rem 597

Options
  • 12-03-2012 4:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

There has been some interest in the Rem 597 on the Board of late. I have a std Rem 597 polymer stock purchased at "Wally World" (Walmart). I put a Tasco Pronghorn scope on it, it is ideal. Put a Volquartsen (VQ) hammer in it that lightens the trigger quite a bit. Just got some new Wolf ammo and tested it today. Have not shot it from bench much at all, just plinking in the back yard, so today at the range I tested it for accuracy.

The first two pics are 50 yd using Wolf Match Extra 40 gr lead RN. It is decent ammo. The first group was 1.6", and second 1.4" not counting flyer which was definitely me. Groups are not spectacular, but not bad for an almost stock 597. The 3rd pic is using Federal bulk 36gr copper plated HP (least expensive in the States for a while). Always seem to get a couple fliers out of that stuff, but it was very cheap and ok for plinking, 8 shots stayed under an inch. The last pic is a quickly fired string of the Federal fired at 100 yds, again 2 flyers, 8 shots in 3". Conditions were steady rain with a little wind.

All in all I am pleased for what I paid, I have never had a failure to feed or any problem with function. Bench shooting the 597 is a little difficult. My full bore rifles do not require holding the forend when on the front rest. With the 597 its very light and apparently with that action, things are moving before the bullet leaves the tube, so had to grasp the forend. The trick there is consistency like always, firm grip but not a death grip.

I may free float the barrel someday. The barrel can be supported by the receiver. There is contact starting a few inches back from the muzzle, so there may be some impact on shot consistency. Below is youtube link showing one way to float the barrel on a 597. Dont usually encourage "bubba" gunsmithing, but this guy does a decent job on the cheap. For now mine shoots well enough so won't mess with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv6E8RCLrO8

Advertisement