Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording Runs on a Garmin Edge 500?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 5:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm a bit new to all of this running lark, been doing a huge amount of cycling for the last 2 years and have just started doing some small runs to further the fitness, loss weight and try and be able to do 10km eventually.

Went for a run today around the local school field, but the 500 was badly out, it you look at the satellite image of the activity it should be around the outside of the fields, but is nowhere near.

My question is does anyone use edge 500 for running, I'm wondering if they are able to cope with being in a pocket bouncing around constantly rather than on the handbars of my bike?

It's a bit annoying it got it so wrong....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Looking through some reviews,it does'nt look like it suitable for running,something about the firmware not being able to cope with armswing etc:(

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

I've an Edge 800 which I also use for running. I have a similar arm band to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Armband-Protector-running-jogging-exercise/dp/B005AERIEC/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

It has a window on it and it always works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Here's a Garmin article on the issue: arm-swing.
    Seems like a pretty lame excuse though and I'm not sure how it would contribute to cookie_monsters poor mapping. Is there no auto-lap/lap-pace option on the 500?

Cookie_monster: May be best to wait until you get a very decent satellite lock, before starting your run. Because you tend to only move around in one direction on the bike, it's a lot easier to get satellite lock on the bike, but not so easy on the run, particularly in areas of significant tree cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Cookie_monster: May be best to wait until you get a very decent satellite lock, before starting your run. Because you tend to only move around in one direction on the bike, it's a lot easier to get satellite lock on the bike, but not so easy on the run, particularly in areas of significant tree cover.

I was running partially under trees in the field so maybe the contributed to it, I've used it once before on street to run and it coped much better. I'll definitly check the accuracy next time before starting to see if that helps at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Yes it definitely takes a while to lock onto satellites. I tend to let it lock and then place it in my arm band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Waited a couple of mins for it to get down to an accuracy of 5m, much improved on the previous run, still a bit dodgy on some corners but far far better.

Advertisement