Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional Irish desset with no alcohol

Options
  • 12-03-2012 7:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I live in the USA but my great grandfather was from Ireland. I am making some things to give to the sisters at church and am also want to make an Irish dinner for the family. I'll look through what's here, but would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from The Cooking Club.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Apple or rhubarb crumble, apple tart is very popular as well but pretty much universal. Brown bread ice cream if you are feeling adventurous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Here is a website which has lots of recipes. Not all are traditional Irish recipes
    but it may give you some ideas.

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=desserts

Traditional Irish desserts often contain fruits that grow in Ireland like Apple, plums, rhubarb, blackberries, raspberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Jelly and custard......

Gooseberry-fool and ice cream...../cream

Bread and butter pudding.....

Raspberries and ice cream...../cream

Sherry trifle

Dessert rice and jam......

Stir-about ( yellow meal ?) and sugar......( wife advises this goes back years)

stewed apples a few cloves and custard.....

Semolina and jam

Tapioca

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Park Royal wrote: »
    Jelly and custard......

Gooseberry-fool and ice cream...../cream

Bread and butter pudding.....

Raspberries and ice cream...../cream

Sherry trifle

Dessert rice and jam......

Stir-about ( yellow meal ?) and sugar......( wife advises this goes back years)

stewed apples a few cloves and custard.....

Semolina and jam

Tapioca

I'd consider a lot of those to be more traditional English desserts than traditional Irish desserts (bread & butter pudding, fool, trifle).

Also, goes without saying, but sherry trifle cannot be classed as a dessert with no alcohol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

You could be right I was thinking of desserts at the turn of the nineteenth

century era when we were under British rule for sure.....

WE of course were still Irish then but under British rule.....

what desserts had you in mind.....?

Carrigeen moss pudding......perhaps.....

Addendum....

RE Sherry Trifle.......its a bit sad if I have to explain that the Sherry Trifle is to be made with no alcohol....?

most poor Irish Homes would not have had drink in the house.......( except at Christmas mostly)

Similarly it is cool to cold custard one puts with the Jelly.......not hot custard.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 misslalou

Thanks to all who have replied thus far. While I enjoy using alcohol with cooking, these particular sisters would frown upon it. I found a very old soda bread recipe I am using. Even going to mill my own flour. I am just looking for a nice sweet as that's what I am known for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Traditional desserts would tend to overlap between Ireland and the UK, having similar environments and cultures.

I would generally consider rhubarb crumble to be a very Irish dessert. Rhubarb is a seasonal plant which doesn't require a lot of room to grow, so it would have been common for even poorer people to have, as opposed to apples which require more room to grow. They'd mix in a little sugar and some dough for the topping and you've got a cheap dessert.

Advertisement